Wrestling into your 50's or 60's

They say "you can't teach an old dog new tricks", this is false, if the old dog wants to learn new tricks he certainly can. Greco is great for an older wrestler, controlling the ties prevents leg attacks in freestyle, or folk style. Since you are standing more upright it is easier to breath and it is easier on the knees, and although an older person my lose their shot they can still throw.
I wrestle like a straight up Russian now lol. Fuck getting low

We've been working on collar drags to single legs. (Simoes vs. Stevens) my coach was dropping to the knee and I did it that way in practice but I prefer to not drop all the way. Arm drag to single leg is a go to move for me in no gi. Again no drop to knee.
They say "you can't teach an old dog new tricks", this is false, if the old dog wants to learn new tricks he certainly can. Greco is great for an older wrestler, controlling the ties prevents leg attacks in freestyle, or folk style. Since you are standing more upright it is easier to breath and it is easier on the knees, and although an older person my lose their shot they can still throw.

Also, it's very humbling to be lifted so easily by a d1 Greco wrestler.
21 years in bjj. About ready to get my second stripe on my black belt and still learning "new tricks."

Great stuff I have been reading about Wade scales he sounds like a one off type. Thanks for the replies guys

I think your first move should be to go watch "Billy Elliot".

Why? I have already let him try the feminine arts of ballet and ju jitsu. He didn't like ju jitsu and his sister kicked his ass in ballet.

With modern medicine? of course, TRT does wonders, although you are probably shortening up your lifespan.

Also start taking care of your body now, sleep well, eat right and exercise.

Anyway im sure this guy can still throw down.

Also this guy seems fine after over a hundred fights in his youth and going to parties with narcos and doing blow and all that shit.

Ive had coaches in their 50's and 60's com out of retirement for a few practices and fucking beat down some of the freshmen walk ons

My junior year of high school, we were doing a group practice with a few local teams. One of the seniors on another team was already a 2x state place winner in PA. He eventually won the state title that season with a tech in the finals and was a top 50 overall recruit who ended up being a bloodround guy @ Penn. He was the PA rep in the Dapper Dan and gave a very infamous HS monster a scare (hint...hint). One of our seniors' father was formerly my HS's head coach before going to be an assistant at a D3 college. He was 53 at this point in his life and around 170lbs. The beast on the other team wrestled 152. I watched them go live and the beast ended up counting ceiling tiles inside a few minutes. Against a typical high school wrestler, this wouldn't mean much. But this was a PA state champ and top 50 recruit.

My junior year of high school, we were doing a group practice with a few local teams. One of the seniors on another team was already a 2x state place winner in PA. He eventually won the state title that season with a tech in the finals and was a top 50 overall recruit who ended up being a bloodround guy @ Penn. He was the PA rep in the Dapper Dan and gave a very infamous HS monster a scare (hint...hint). One of our seniors' father was formerly my HS's head coach before going to be an assistant at a D3 college. He was 53 at this point in his life and around 170lbs. The beast on the other team wrestled 152. I watched them go live and the beast ended up counting ceiling tiles inside a few minutes. Against a typical high school wrestler, this wouldn't mean much. But this was a PA state champ and top 50 recruit.

I am curious, around what year was this?

I am curious, around what year was this?

If I answer this, it'll be far too easy to figure out who I am referring to. Let's just say I am under 35 and leave it at that. Here's what I will say. There are 2 classifications in PA wrestling. There is AA (small school) and AAA (big school). The guy I am referring to wrestled AA. He wrestled the AAA state champ at the same weight in a post season tournament (a 3x PA state champ who wrestled for Pitt and his brother was also a multi-time PA state champ) and he majored him 10-2.

Editing for clarification...the 1x AA state champ majored the 3x AAA state champ.

If I answer this, it'll be far too easy to figure out who I am referring to. Let's just say I am under 35 and leave it at that. Here's what I will say. There are 2 classifications in PA wrestling. There is AA (small school) and AAA (big school). The guy I am referring to wrestled AA. He wrestled the AAA state champ at the same weight in a post season tournament (a 3x PA state champ who wrestled for Pitt and his brother was also a multi-time PA state champ) and he majored him 10-2.

Editing for clarification...the 1x AA state champ majored the 3x AAA state champ.

This is a tough one, I've got to think....

Was it one of the Zanetta brothers?

Back