Wrestling into your 50's or 60's

DoubleAAZ

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
With today's supplements and nutrition could man wrestle into this age range and be competitive with the young dogs? . I'm 36 just getting back into it and I want to be able to compete with my kid when he gets older. He's 2 years old. Now we have the hormones and SARMs etc we should be able to increase our training longevity. What are your thoughts?

The only realistic option you have is cryogenic. But hurry up, your body gets older every day.

I'm 50 and have decent wrestling. Against the legit collegiate level wrestlers I have no chance. Never have never will.

Yeah if you keep it in perspective and stay in shape as best you can. You need to have solid baseline defense and top work to slow them down though. And don't be dumb or trying to rubber knee

I'm 50 and have decent wrestling. Against the legit collegiate level wrestlers I have no chance. Never have never will.
But those incoming freshmen who you roll with at open mat who don't know who you are are fun to introduce to college hahahaha

HGH, TRT, NSI-189, noopept and provigil.

Last edited:
Ive had coaches in their 50's and 60's com out of retirement for a few practices and fucking beat down some of the freshmen walk ons

I am 47 and I still wrestle three days a week. Many wrestlers at the Chicago Wrestling Club are in their 50's 60's one is 76 and is no joke (several are National and World Medalists at the Veteran level). As you age you have to change your style of wrestling (you obviously can not wrestle like a 22 year old), but you can still wrestle and be competitive against guys much younger than yourself. There are many older guys in Judo, I would like to see the same thing in wrestling.

Edited..

You mentioned supplements, to my knowledge none of the guys I train with are on Steroids. It has less to do with supplements, than keeping yourself active.

I am 47 and I still wrestle three days a week. Many wrestlers at the Chicago Wrestling Club are in their 50's 60's one is 76 and is no joke (several are National and World Medalists at the Veteran level). As you age you have to change your style of wrestling (you obviously can not wrestle like a 22 year old), but you can still wrestle and be competitive against guys much younger than yourself. There are many older guys in Judo, I would like to see the same thing in wrestling.

Edited..

You mentioned supplements, to my knowledge none of the guys I train with are on Steroids. It has less to do with supplements, than keeping yourself active.
The real question is are you a “true” old man wrestler where how mean you are corresponds directly to fatigue level ;). Just kidding I’m only mean if they deserve it lol

Actually, in a sense yes. I do not have the cardio, flexibility, and the reflexes that a younger guy has, so I have to resort to tendon strength moves (Old Man Strength is actually very real) like front head locks where you cut off the blood to the brain, bear hugs, and moves from the under over, my shot is way too slow. I take the philosophy that Wade Schalles has.... "Legal pain", stay within the rules but create such discomfort that the opponent stops thinking about defending, and scoring, and just gives up the point.

Actually, in a sense yes. I do not have the cardio, flexibility, and the reflexes that a younger guy has, so I have to resort to tendon strength moves (Old Man Strength is actually very real) like front head locks where you cut off the blood to the brain, bear hugs, and moves from the under over, my shot is way too slow. I take the philosophy that Wade Schalles has.... "Legal pain", stay within the rules but create such discomfort that the opponent stops thinking about defending, and scoring, and just gives up the point.
In folk style I slap on safe legs and pretend I’m trying to turn them.. hehe

Edited..

Are you guys still able to hit the low singles and doubles when you have to shoot down onto knees? I think that is the proper way of doing it.

Are you guys still able to hit the low singles and doubles when you have to shoot down onto knees? I think that is the proper way of doing it.

Me personally no, but my main training partner who is a year older than me hits it all the time. I no longer have the shot I used to have, but I have not lost my sprawl, and due to the fact that I don't have a good shot, I have greatly improved my throws.

Thanks for letting me know about Schalles. I can't believe I've never heard of him.

I highly recommend his DVD's, the guy is probably the best Mat Wrestler ever. The term genius is overused so much that it kind of lost its meaning, but Schalles is a true Genius!

I have a division 1 Greco wrestler at my school right now. I'm trying to pick his brain as much as possible. At 50, I'm still learning new techniques.

I have a division 1 Greco wrestler at my school right now. I'm trying to pick his brain as much as possible. At 50, I'm still learning new techniques.

They say "you can't teach an old dog new tricks", this is false, if the old dog wants to learn new tricks he certainly can. Greco is great for an older wrestler, controlling the ties prevents leg attacks in freestyle, or folk style. Since you are standing more upright it is easier to breath and it is easier on the knees, and although an older person my lose their shot they can still throw.

Back