Wrestling intervals

DoubleAAZ

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi there I'm trying to formulate a some interval training that would have good cross over for wrestling. I used to wrestle and want to get back into reasonable shape with drills. I have punch bags, barbells, slam ball. I am 34 and used to wrestle in my 20's I don't want to wreck my joints worse than they are already. I am doing some low intensity cardio twice a week to build an aerobic base. Can anyone recommend some good programmes or sites to look at. A lot of wrestling programs seem quite generic for what I'm looking for. I already squat. Bench, deadlift, rows, dips etc. Any thoughts?

So you're just tryna get back in decent shape to wrestle the guys at the gym as a hobby?

Tabata. the 20 on 10 off is very similar to wrestling matches tempo. Start with a 2 minute round, work your way up by 0.5-1 minute per week. Just pick low skill work for it or do it cycling/rowing/sprinting if you are capable of it.

Tabata. the 20 on 10 off is very similar to wrestling matches tempo. Start with a 2 minute round, work your way up by 0.5-1 minute per week. Just pick low skill work for it or do it cycling/rowing/sprinting if you are capable of it.
Thank you dudw

Tabata is pretty specific to lactate production, just as long as you're actually capable of producing that level of output (hard as fuck). I would probably cycle off to another protocol after about 3 weeks of tabata.

I have been monitoring my heart rate on the slow runs and it's at about 170/180bpm as there are some hills and slight inclines. Sprinting for 20 secs and jogging for 10 I should be hitting higher bpms. I'm hoping I don't have a heart attack.

Isometrics against high resistance would be a good place to start.

I have been monitoring my heart rate on the slow runs and it's at about 170/180bpm as there are some hills and slight inclines. Sprinting for 20 secs and jogging for 10 I should be hitting higher bpms. I'm hoping I don't have a heart attack.
170/180 is pretty high for a slow run, unless you have the max HR of a hummingbird.

Can you post a screenshot of your HR graph?

170/180 is pretty high for a slow run, unless you have the max HR of a hummingbird.
Im running slow and I have just been exercising again after years off. I think my heart is just fucking struggling to move my ass around the course. Screenshot_20160825-225024.png

What speed were you running? That looks like a race pace run to me

What speed were you running? That looks like a race pace run to me
. It was 3.4miles in 36 minutes . The fastest mile was not under 10minutes. I'm getting faster every time but I'm not pushing it. I have never been a Good runner I'm about 88kgs. When I was wrestling before I was about 73kgs

For low intensity day, your cardiac output range might be closer to 12 mins, at least for a little while. It's less specific, but you might fill in some holes in your conditioning by focusing on it for 6ish weeks

I'm sorry I don't understand the term cardiac output range. Does that mean my running pace?

Cardiac output is the HR range at which your heart can completely fill with blood, and put a stretch on the wall of the left ventricle. It's Zone 2 on most charts, and for the average population falls between 120-150 Beats per minute. I was saying that given what i saw there, my guess is that your CO range is probably 12 minutes (for now).

@DoubleAAZ
Research cardiovascular drift. Understanding this along with target HR zones will help you pin point this issue better.

Cardiac output is the HR range at which your heart can completely fill with blood, and put a stretch on the wall of the left ventricle. It's Zone 2 on most charts, and for the average population falls between 120-150 Beats per minute. I was saying that given what i saw there, my guess is that your CO range is probably 12 minutes (for now).
I am reading up on this now thanks I thought I understood this heart rate zone stuff but this is new to me. Thanks to all who responded

Back