Wrestling in Melbourne

The Half Blood Prince

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In places that arent in the US or Russia why isnt Wrestling popular? And why is there a lack of gyms in melbourne?
It's a great martial arts that is alot tougher than bjj. The mental resilience and mental strength you need for it is super tough. I dont think ive seen in any other sports guy that are so big and muscly yet who are so agile quick and flexible

For some reason wrestling isn't really popular in countries that are a part of the Commonwealth of Briton. However, they are great Soccer, and Rugby players. I think Rugby would transfer over well for wrestling, I guess someone needs to popularize the sport in those countries, and they will probably be good at it.

Used to be very popular, we invented freestyle don't forget. Personally I feel like pro-wrestling did a lot to help kill it in the UK. Still pretty big in India and Pakistan.

The Abdo brothers run classes out of Mitrevski Martial Arts in Kealba near Sunshine if you are out West. They are very good instructors, I trained wrestling there for about a year, I wish it was closer to where I live/work.

I hear there are some alright instructors at Absolute MMA in the city or South Yarra. Team Takedown in inner East is invitation only from memory, to eliminate the meathead factor.

For some reason wrestling isn't really popular in countries that are a part of the Commonwealth of Briton. However, they are great Soccer, and Rugby players. I think Rugby would transfer over well for wrestling, I guess someone needs to popularize the sport in those countries, and they will probably be good at it.
We are good at Rugby but not Football unfortunetly
Used to be very popular, we invented freestyle don't forget. Personally I feel like pro-wrestling did a lot to help kill it in the UK. Still pretty big in India and Pakistan.
How did pro wrestling kill actual wrestling? They're two completely different things

The Abdo brothers run classes out of Mitrevski Martial Arts in Kealba near Sunshine if you are out West. They are very good instructors, I trained wrestling there for about a year, I wish it was closer to where I live/work.

I hear there are some alright instructors at Absolute MMA in the city or South Yarra. Team Takedown in inner East is invitation only from memory, to eliminate the meathead factor.
Yeah they are really far from where I'm from. I think my homegroup teacher learnt wrestling from the Abdo brothers. I did a wrestling class at absolute. When it finished at 8:40pm i got home at like 10:30 or so. The coach there is a really good coach. He was at the olympics last year. He explains things clearly and thoroughly and he's a nice guy and the techniques he teachers are great. How much do the Abdo brothers charge btw?

Wrestling should be so popular in Australia
Its the best takedown martial arts for self defense and its really tough so it will make you a strong and super resilient and super mentality tough guy. When u do wrestling you just become some strongvand explosive and athletic its crazy. Plus going for takedowns and putting the guy on his back from that explosive first step is an great adrenaline thrill

How did pro wrestling kill actual wrestling? They're two completely different things
In the 1960's and 70's in the UK there was a very, very corny version of pro-wrestling that was super popular on broadcast TV. By the time people were old enough to practise sport that was what 'wrestling' meant to them.

Not saying it was the only factor by a longshot, but I definitely don't think it helped.

That's right! Wrestling is pretty big in India, part of the Sikh culture.

How much do the Abdo brothers charge btw?
It was $20 per class casual I think, I thought it was good value, and definitely rate Bill as a wrestling instructor and all-round top guy. Ali didn't run any of the classes when I was there.

It isn't just popular in Russia and USA lol. Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan.. Cuba, Canada, Venezuela (I think..?), India, South Korea...

whats funny is there's tons of these aussie guys trying to make these wrestling for mma vids and saying this is how yoel and dc does there takedown's and they suck completely lol

Back