Wrestling in bjj?

cardkid

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey, what are people's opinions about training in wrestling strengthens your game? I've been hearing alot of different opinions.

Where can you find wrestling training? At your local high school?

Wrestling is very useful for good BJJ. Not only for takedowns, but also for improving sweeps and sweep defense, turtle defense, front headlock controls, riding, and just mindset generally. I firmly believe that you can build a pretty functional guard game based almost entirely off getting to singles and doubles and using wrestling to sweep. Demian Maia does it, and you can too!

I use wrestling/judo in my bjj game. I obviously use it to get people down, however the control I mostly use is from wrestling (well mainly back control) and I use it to pin people/get myself to a better position.

It isn't very good from the bottom position though, all of this bridging to get out of a position can hurt you and get you submitted if you're not careful.

But wrestling is a very good part of gi/nogi grappling. If you have the opportunity to learn it, do so!

I found it good for top game, but not great for actually takedowns. There are certain things that work don't get me wrong, but grips fuck a bunchof things.
Disclamer: I'm talking from the viewpoint of somebody that took wrestling a couple of times a week for a couple of years, hardcore wrestlers are a different thing.
I noticed a big difference in my top game and weight positioning. My balance and reactions to my weight shifting improved a lot, I'd recommend it if you feel like your plateauing.

Overhooks, underhooks, wizzers, etc, all are useful in bjj

In reply to everyone else I also think it would add to your game.
I've played with the thought of wrestling and judo but I think wrestling would probably help my all round game.

It depends on the game.
It's helpful if you play a Lucas Leite half guard/deep half as you can finish a lot of the sweeps into take downs.

I'm not much of a wrestler (my grappling arts are BJJ and Judo) so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I've seen of the guys at my gym who do know how to wrestle - BJJ and Wrestling appear to compliment each other really well.

Hey, what are people's opinions about training in wrestling strengthens your game? I've been hearing alot of different opinions.

Have you really been hearing different opinions? Has anyone really said that it's not worth your time or won't help in some way?

I mean, yeah, to some extent it depends on your goals. If you're trying to be a pure sport competitor in the gi and emulate the Miyaos' exact style (who have recently started training some wrestling actually), then yeah, it's probably not the best use of your time. But for anything else it will probably help you

Way more useful for no gi than gi, imo

Head snaps, front headlock series, arm drags, underhooks, etc.

It absolutely strengthens your game, some techniques blend in really well. The mentality is effective, and the concepts are extremely helpful.

Wrestling and bjj go hand in hand. Even in the gi. There are lots of techniques in wrestling that flow right into submissions.

If you are a grappling enthusiasts and you have the chance to learn some wrestling you should jump all over it.

Oh man yea, absolutely! A good wrestler who learns submissions is a fierce breed. You just have to blend what they teach you. If you have a chance to learn it, then go for it!

Have you really been hearing different opinions? Has anyone really said that it's not worth your time or won't help in some way?

I mean, yeah, to some extent it depends on your goals. If you're trying to be a pure sport competitor in the gi and emulate the Miyaos' exact style (who have recently started training some wrestling actually), then yeah, it's probably not the best use of your time. But for anything else it will probably help you

Yea what are these differing opinions? It's pretty well accepted that even for GI, dress some D1 wrestlers in pajamas and give them a few months of bjj and they will be monsters. At the very least almost all would agree it's an asset.

Yea what are these differing opinions? It's pretty well accepted that even for GI, dress some D1 wrestlers in pajamas and give them a few months of bjj and they will be monsters. At the very least almost all would agree it's an asset.

How much is it worth spending time wrestling vs actually doing bjj is the debatable thing.

How much is it worth spending time wrestling vs actually doing bjj is the debatable thing.
Enough wrestling that one does not feel terror and the "necessity" to butt drop when standing against an opponent of about equal skill and ability at minimum

Back