Wrestling grip strength

deadscou5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Likd over technique how huge a part is grip strength

I think its massive and something you only develope from a yound age im from uk and only took up wrestling when i was about 18 and when ive trained with us /russian/polish wrestlers who have wrestled from a young age at school its amazing i think thats why we have never been as successful in mma
But watch soon when i was a kid we all boxed now my littly nephews cousins are all training mma uk will take over like we have boxing

Grip strength is only a game changer if its coupled with arms and shoulders that are also very strong. A wrestlers style is also going to dictate how important grip strength is. Id bet a guy like Jordan Burroughs doesn't need all that much grip strength. On the other hand, a guy like Cael Sanderson is gonna have insane grip strength bc he does a lot of ankle picks and such. Id bet most Greco guys have great grips as well.

yeah thats something i need t work i never really did any strength conditioning other than running

pull ups and rows are what alot of guys do i hear

Grip strength is only a game changer if its coupled with arms and shoulders that are also very strong. A wrestlers style is also going to dictate how important grip strength is. Id bet a guy like Jordan Burroughs doesn't need all that much grip strength. On the other hand, a guy like Cael Sanderson is gonna have insane grip strength bc he does a lot of ankle picks and such. Id bet most Greco guys have great grips as well.
You understand grip strength includes “clench” as in using your grip both with a thumb and without a thumb right? I’m not saying this to be mean because you are right about shoulders and arms(More so back though) is needed as well.. but have you actually watched film of Burroughs? Not just highlights? Because his handfighting and positioning is amazing and when he grabs a tie.. the opp usually doesn’t get it back

Disagree 100% The most effective way to neutralize offensive attacks is static wrist grip. Takes little to no arm and shoulder strength compared to any kind of offensive attack. If you are at a serious speed or strength disadvantage from neutral, your very first thought should be grip the wrists and do not let go.

I would go as far as saying a strong grip and having the focus to not engage in offensive attacks and be comfortable taking a stall call would stop 80% of takedowns at any level.

It isn't just strength; these kids and champions can still put on a lot of grip strength without slowing down.

Look at Saitiev, he didn't look the biggest or strongest, but he could keep doing clinches all match until you break. It is a game-breaker to have gripping conditioning.. if that is a thing lol.

It isn't just strength; these kids and champions can still put on a lot of grip strength without slowing down.

Look at Saitiev, he didn't look the biggest or strongest, but he could keep doing clinches all match until you break. It is a game-breaker to have gripping conditioning.. if that is a thing lol.

yeah my grip always gives out iv never had endurance with subs squeezing necks its something i really need to try to improve

nothings more annoying than getting to subs and cant finish them due to arm fatigue

yeah my grip always gives out

nothings more annoying than getting to subs and cant finish them due to arm fatigue

My training has vastly improved since I added in rock climbing/bouldering to sub out my routine. Grip strength, finger strength, forearms, shoulders, back.........100% stronger than before

You understand grip strength includes “clench” as in using your grip both with a thumb and without a thumb right? I’m not saying this to be mean because you are right about shoulders and arms(More so back though) is needed as well.. but have you actually watched film of Burroughs? Not just highlights? Because his handfighting and positioning is amazing and when he grabs a tie.. the opp usually doesn’t get it back
Absolutely, Ive made it a point to watch pretty much all of his matches post London. And I wasnt really thinking in terms of a thumbless grip to be honest. That recruits the muscles of the forearm flexors just so much more than a full grip involving the thumb. And to be clear, I sure as hell am not suggesting that grip strength doesn't matter, or even that its only moderately important. Just that its not worth a whole hell of a lot by itself.

Disagree 100% The most effective way to neutralize offensive attacks is static wrist grip. Takes little to no arm and shoulder strength compared to any kind of offensive attack. If you are at a serious speed or strength disadvantage from neutral, your very first thought should be grip the wrists and do not let go.

I would go as far as saying a strong grip and having the focus to not engage in offensive attacks and be comfortable taking a stall call would stop 80% of takedowns at any level.
But how can you expect to keep it static without strong arms and shoulders? That's a serious question btw not a rhetorical one.

As for Burroughs, I have observed him using the grip you reference a ton (obviously). He pulls on the back of the neck a lot and obviously he uses it to finish his TDs. But I don't see him grabbing the wrists or ankles a whole lot. He bats the forehead, ties the neck, does a ton of fakes and feints, he changes levels exceptionally well, obviously has an amazing double and an equally amazing reshot off his knees but that's pretty much his entire game as far as Im concerned.

But how can you expect to keep it static without strong arms and shoulders? That's a serious question btw not a rhetorical one.
Static as in you grab the guys wrist and you arent trying to manipulate his stance or motion in any way. All you are doing is holding the wrist. Doesnt matter where his arms go, as long as you have a grip. This doesnt take arm or shoulder strength, just grip strength. You look at any NCAA wrestler who doesnt have a very strong build, he is tying up wrists and getting head position.

As for Burroughs, I have observed him using the grip you reference a ton (obviously). He pulls on the back of the neck a lot and obviously he uses it to finish his TDs. But I don't see him grabbing the wrists or ankles a whole lot. He bats the forehead, ties the neck, does a ton of fakes and feints, he changes levels exceptionally well, obviously has an amazing double and an equally amazing reshot off his knees but that's pretty much his entire game as far as Im concerned.
And even if you “think” his only tie up is the collar tie.. do you understand how much of doing a collar tie properly as he does is grip strength?

And as far as you are concerned? What about his short offense... his single leg he can hit to both sides and uses almost as much as his double in the last couple of years.. or his use of and ability to hold inside ties, ability to clear ties etc.

It truly amazes me how few people actually take the time to look at what Burroughs is doing, you see people say things like “he only has a double, or a few things and is a freak” etc. and before any controversy is started on why that might be, which I DO NOT want to get into.. it’s a shame because there is so much of his game that anyone can use regardless of athleticism if you take the time to actually look at it.. and MUCH more of his comprehensive game is imitatiable by the average person than Dakes or Taylor’s.

In fact I have have heard in person two DI head coaches talk about how few people can actually physically do the things Dake does on a regular basis in comparison to Burroughs.

You can’t win 5 senior golds and 6 medals without a host of technical adjustments that go beyond the “sum” is as far as you are concerned

And even if you “think” his only tie up is the collar tie.. do you understand how much of doing a collar tie properly as he does is grip strength?

And as far as you are concerned? What about his short offense... his single leg he can hit to both sides and uses almost as much as his double in the last couple of years.. or his use of and ability to hold inside ties, ability to clear ties etc.

It truly amazes me how few people actually take the time to look at what Burroughs is doing, you see people say things like “he only has a double, or a few things and is a freak” etc. and before any controversy is started on why that might be, which I DO NOT want to get into.. it’s a shame because there is so much of his game that anyone can use regardless of athleticism if you take the time to actually look at it.. and MUCH more of his comprehensive game is imitatiable by the average person than Dakes or Taylor’s.

In fact I have have heard in person two DI head coaches talk about how few people can actually physically do the things Dake does on a regular basis in comparison to Burroughs.

You can’t win 5 senior golds and 6 medals without a host of technical adjustments that go beyond the “sum” is as far as you are concerned
Yes we already established that, the collar tie he uses with the thumbless grip. Youre right, he has changed up his game pretty dramatically over the last few years. He has kinda been a little up and down though (compared to what he is capable of). I remember he shows up at the Rio trials finals and is all of the sudden pulling leg laces. Then in Rio, the 2017 world cup, and the 2017 Trials against Dake, he is back to using his doubles and wasn't nearly as successful with them. If I remember correctly, he won his matches at the 2017 World Cup and then won the 2017 trials but he didn't look great (again, compared to what we have come to expect). He kinda reverted back to his original style and wasn't quite as good at it so he really relied more on pushouts, the single leg youre talking about, and slapping the everloving shit out of Kyle Dake. And then he shows up in Paris looking the best he had in a very long time. Point with this is, sure Burroughs deserves an incredible amount of praise for adding to his style but you kinda have to understand why you'll hear people remark otherwise because ever since he lost in 2014 he has showed us so many different looks and varying levels of impressiveness.

Static as in you grab the guys wrist and you arent trying to manipulate his stance or motion in any way. All you are doing is holding the wrist. Doesnt matter where his arms go, as long as you have a grip. This doesnt take arm or shoulder strength, just grip strength. You look at any NCAA wrestler who doesnt have a very strong build, he is tying up wrists and getting head position.
Well that makes much more sense as far as why it requires no shoulder or arm strength. Its a bit of a misnomer though, static usually implies no movement at all.

Yes we already established that, the collar tie he uses with the thumbless grip. Youre right, he has changed up his game pretty dramatically over the last few years. He has kinda been a little up and down though (compared to what he is capable of). I remember he shows up at the Rio trials finals and is all of the sudden pulling leg laces. Then in Rio, the 2017 world cup, and the 2017 Trials against Dake, he is back to using his doubles and wasn't nearly as successful with them. If I remember correctly, he won his matches at the 2017 World Cup and then won the 2017 trials but he didn't look great (again, compared to what we have come to expect). He kinda reverted back to his original style and wasn't quite as good at it so he really relied more on pushouts, the single leg youre talking about, and slapping the everloving shit out of Kyle Dake. And then he shows up in Paris looking the best he had in a very long time. Point with this is, sure Burroughs deserves an incredible amount of praise for adding to his style but you kinda have to understand why you'll hear people remark otherwise because ever since he lost in 2014 he has showed us so many different looks and varying levels of impressiveness.
The “varying levels impressiveness” and adjustments to style that have varying degrees of success applies to every wrestler who has had extended long term senior level success over the course of several years. In fact most senior wrestlers pick up weird losses “google losses” if you will and have periods where they have to adjust to people having scouted them. And almost every person I’ve heard refer otherwise usually refers to highlights or matches they watch from his earlier career. And the varying levels of impressiveness are adjustments being made and most of the time working on senior level athletes
And there is much more of Burroughs that can be imitated than that of someone like Dake

Two things I don’t see Burroughs given enough credit for are his short offense which he actually scores from more than most at that level and his defense which regardless of what you or anyone else think of his “technical” proficiency.. is the most underrated and under appreciated part of his game

And ma y of the same opinions of Burroughs technique can be applied to John smith as well

The “varying levels impressiveness” and adjustments to style that have varying degrees of success applies to every wrestler who has had extended long term senior level success over the course of several years. In fact most senior wrestlers pick up weird losses “google losses” if you will and have periods where they have to adjust to people having scouted them. And almost every person I’ve heard refer otherwise usually refers to highlights or matches they watch from his earlier career. And the varying levels of impressiveness are adjustments being made and most of the time working on senior level athletes
And there is much more of Burroughs that can be imitated than that of someone like Dake

Two things I don’t see Burroughs given enough credit for are his short offense which he actually scores from more than most at that level and his defense which regardless of what you or anyone else think of his “technical” proficiency.. is the most underrated and under appreciated part of his game

And ma y of the same opinions of Burroughs technique can be applied to John smith as well
Sure. I hear ya. Smith didn't master the low single until after he won 2 gold medals. Burroughs' defense was the first thing about him that amazed me. In his match from the 2011 worlds with the Azerbaijani he was just so dead to rights several times and although he did give up some points, he managed to get out of some incredibly tough positions. Which leads me to what I think is THE most impressive thing about Burroughs, his nerve. That Azerbaijani (one of the Aliev's), Tsargush, Geduev, and im sure others reeaaaaally tried to rattle him. Just blatant slapping, singlet grabbing, joint manipulation, etc. Aliev slapped him so hard he ruptured his ear. Rather than get mad he just beat them. It wasn't until Rio that he finally responded with emotion. Burroughs was and is amazing. Watching only his highlights would be a huge disservice to yourself.

We used to have a grip strength athlete that trained at our gym. There's a whole other level out there with what's capable with grip. If I remember correct his single hand grip was south of 300 lb. There's also tons of hand positions and how you can articulate your hand and fingers to improve grip.

Whenever he had a good grip on your wrist you had to keep your forearm tight otherwise he would around the bones in you wrist. I'm not sure if any damage could have been done but it is a crazy feeling to have someone moving around the bones in your forearm with their grip.

He got me into the building grip trainers, pinch grip machine, hub and such.

Here's one of the grip machines he help me design.

Last edited:
man thats pretty cool the grip thing id pay for something like that if wasnt in the 100s

yeah my grip always gives out iv never had endurance with subs squeezing necks its something i really need to try to improve

Same. Have plenty of strength from a powerlifting background, but my forearm/grip endurance always seems to run out when hand fighting from the back etc. Aggravating

Back