wrestling coach called this move the kelly??

This is a kelley:

This is a Gizoni:

Neither of these defenses are going to get you choked. I put videos like these up all the time on my athlete page when other wrestling/bjj athletes have a question. www.facebook.com/mattholtgrappling

awesome videos guys.

what technique Nogueira uses against Sapp at 2.10 and 7 minutes mark?
[YT]29NtJXKfg9o[/YT]

he used the same technique against Mir, but Mir countered with a figure 4 and we already know what happenend.

J0lAY.gif

is this good wrestling technique or just crappy wrestle-jitsu?
it seem like a good move to do from bottom turtle position, but the arm is in danger.

Thanks for the vids Holt, I'm gonna drill them today and might add them to the bag.

awesome videos guys.

what technique Nogueira uses against Sapp at 2.10 and 7 minutes mark?
[YT]29NtJXKfg9o[/YT]

he used the same technique against Mir, but Mir countered with a figure 4 and we already know what happenend.

J0lAY.gif

is this good wrestling technique or just crappy wrestle-jitsu?
it seem like a good move to do from bottom turtle position, but the arm is in danger.

That's a peek/peak (?) out. And I think it's a great technique (in fact it's the only one out of all those discussed in this thread that I've seen commonly taught in BJJ classes), but since it's one of Nogueira's most famous moves Mir was probably ready to counter it.

That's a peek/peak (?) out. And I think it's a great technique (in fact it's the only one out of all those discussed in this thread that I've seen commonly taught in BJJ classes), but since it's one of Nogueira's most famous moves Mir was probably ready to counter it.
yeah, Mir was prepared to counter for sure.

do you think that the move can be practiced like this?
[YT]WmjGAusux6U[/YT]

personally, i feel that is not very realistic, just like the basic pummelling drill from standing.
it is good for warm up, but i can't do that in sparring.
usually when i get caught in a good front headlock, i just wait the opponent's move because i can't do anything.

yeah, Mir was prepared to counter for sure.

do you think that the move can be practiced like this?
[YT]WmjGAusux6U[/YT]

personally, i feel that is not very realistic, just like the basic pummelling drill from standing.
it is good for warm up, but i can't do that in sparring.
usually when i get caught in a good front headlock, i just wait the opponent's move because i can't do anything.

I've had success with a Kelly type thing from there (it was called a sit through when taught to me), where you twist in the opposite direction, so your opponent loses base and you put him on his back. I ain't no rassler, though, I'm sure some of my details need work.

I looked all over but could not find a video of what I'm talking about. Basically you go the opposite way from a peek out-- you turn IN to them, but you clamp down on their arm really tight. BTW< this is if they have an arm around your arm, not just controlling your neck, but like they have a whizzer or they are sprawling on your shot but did not get an underhook in; or like they are going for an anaconda choke.

I've had success with a Kelly type thing from there (it was called a sit through when taught to me), where you twist in the opposite direction, so your opponent loses base and you put him on his back. I ain't no rassler, though, I'm sure some of my details need work.

I looked all over but could not find a video of what I'm talking about. Basically you go the opposite way from a peek out-- you turn IN to them, but you clamp down on their arm really tight. BTW< this is if they have an arm around your arm, not just controlling your neck, but like they have a whizzer or they are sprawling on your shot but did not get an underhook in; or like they are going for an anaconda choke.

Thats a dump. Its pretty dangerous in BJJ because they can take mount eventually

Thats a dump. Its pretty dangerous in BJJ because they can take mount eventually

I'm not picturing how this gives opponent the mount (or else I just described it poorly). I'm thinking of a move that looks real similar to the Kelly you just posted in the other thread, only you twist the other way. SO say he's got his right arm around my armpit, left around my neck. I control that right wrist with my hand and clamp down on his elbow tight with my armpit (this is with my left arm). Post my right hand like I in a 3 point stance, then switch it out, put my left foot through where my right hand was, so I've twisted my body clockwise, and hopefully taken him with me and put him on his side. I can see that if he managed to keep his grip from breaking he could take mount. Is that what you mean? Thanks, appreciate it.

I'm not picturing how this gives opponent the mount (or else I just described it poorly). I'm thinking of a move that looks real similar to the Kelly you just posted in the other thread, only you twist the other way. SO say he's got his right arm around my armpit, left around my neck. I control that right wrist with my hand and clamp down on his elbow tight with my armpit (this is with my left arm). Post my right hand like I in a 3 point stance, then switch it out, put my left foot through where my right hand was, so I've twisted my body clockwise, and hopefully taken him with me and put him on his side. I can see that if he managed to keep his grip from breaking he could take mount. Is that what you mean? Thanks, appreciate it.

Its a peek out with a dump finish. If he can pull his arm out, he can get mount. It is much less of a risk to chase the back after you peek out rather than try to dump, and it has a much higher reward as well.

Its a peek out with a dump finish. If he can pull his arm out, he can get mount. It is much less of a risk to chase the back after you peek out rather than try to dump, and it has a much higher reward as well.

OK, gotcha. Thanks for such detail. You have a teacher's nature:icon_chee

@Dirty Holt

1. Sucker Drag from a tight front headlock
Does the sucker drag work better when they don't connect their hands in the front headlock? I was trying to drill it in the gi and I found it difficult to overcome the friction and strong hand connection using the sucker drag.

2. Response to Kelly counter
My opponent counters the Kelly by dropping weight on the side I'm trying to come out. This leaves the opposite site open for me to peek through and finish in a double leg takedown position.

You mention that this type of maneuver (a near side dump?) can leave me susceptible to being mounted?

3. Kelly technique
Why do you "wing out" your elbow lower on his arm (elbow or wrist) rather than at his armpit, where your initial movement is less impeded?

Kellys, peak outs, dumps, drags, shucks, that is my game son, its my favortie type of bait in wrestling, expecting the sprawl and having a chain of moves off of it. any Front headlock questions you have, i have the answer.
Looking at your name and avatar, Im gonna go out on a limb and say you trained/train at the Armory in Jupiter? I remember they were a major player in the earlier days of Florida MMA. Are they still prominent down there?

@Dirty Holt

1. Sucker Drag from a tight front headlock
Does the sucker drag work better when they don't connect their hands in the front headlock? I was trying to drill it in the gi and I found it difficult to overcome the friction and strong hand connection using the sucker drag.

2. Response to Kelly counter
My opponent counters the Kelly by dropping weight on the side I'm trying to come out. This leaves the opposite site open for me to peek through and finish in a double leg takedown position.

You mention that this type of maneuver (a near side dump?) can leave me susceptible to being mounted?

3. Kelly technique
Why do you "wing out" your elbow lower on his arm (elbow or wrist) rather than at his armpit, where your initial movement is less impeded?
1. Its actually harder to sucker drag when they dont have a lock because they can take a high elbow which stops a sucker drag.

2. The guy asking about that was describing a barrel roll, but did a bad job. I barrel roll almost every day, no chance at getting mounted, but, a near side dump can get mounted. You are safe.

3. I do that because guys know what is coming and the start ripping their arm out to give themselves the ability to scramble. blasting out at the elbow gives you a slight advantage when you know they are going to defend. If you think about it, the Kelly is a defensive move.

@Dirty Holt
Didn't you tell me a while back that in their third fight, it was a Kelly Cain used to counter the Ninja choke JDS was applying? Slammed his forehead tknthe mat and got the TKO. It was from standing.

Note: Ninja choke is the stupidest name I've ever seen. If anything it should be called a front naked choke.

Note 2: What do you think about these as counters to a darce? The vids you have in page 1 look effective for this.

We've finally got a really good wrestler at our gym. He's darcing the bejeezus out of everything in sight lol.

Holt, really REALLY appreciate all you do for F12

@Dirty Holt
Didn't you tell me a while back that in their third fight, it was a Kelly Cain used to counter the Ninja choke JDS was applying? Slammed his forehead tknthe mat and got the TKO. It was from standing.

Note: Ninja choke is the stupidest name I've ever seen. If anything it should be called a front naked choke.

Note 2: What do you think about these as counters to a darce? The vids you have in page 1 look effective for this.

We've finally got a really good wrestler at our gym. He's darcing the bejeezus out of everything in sight lol.

Holt, really REALLY appreciate all you do for F12
I Kelly out of D'arces all the time. The difference is that I let them keep it tight where I can initially Kelly but then roll them then just stop on top of them and balance on their chest.

Back