Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu?

Italianissimo

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Is there any guy in here who is/was a wrestler and a Jiu Jitsu black belt? I

I feel like almost half the site is blackbelts. I’m sure many have wrestled in high school. Dirty Holt is a higher-level wrestler and black belt tho

I think he said he was a greco guy. This forum is predominately American, so folkstyle is going to be the majority of our wrestling background.

So the criteria is, if you wrestled folkstyle on any meaningful level, youre out as far as this thread goes? I think that's going to disqualify just about every American. A few come to mind:
-Babalu wrestled freestyle and Greco in some big international tournaments.
-Gleison Tibau was a national level freestyler in Brazil.
-Same for Glover Teixeira.
-Rolles Gracie has wrestled freestyle most of his life for Brazil. Some international, mostly national and regional.
-Igor Gracie, same as Rolles.
-Gregor, same as Igor and Rolles.
-Gesias Cavalcante entered the Dave Schultz International at least once and is a blackbelt.
-Pablo Popovitch has wrestled some big freestyle tournaments in the US.
-Jose Aldo's wrestling coach Daniel Malvino is a Blackbelt and wrestled a few international freestyle tournaments.

I really didn't expect every guy on my list to be Brazilian but I cant think of anyone else

I feel like almost half the site is blackbelts. I’m sure many have wrestled in high school. Dirty Holt is a higher-level wrestler and black belt tho
The level of practitioners here and on the UG versus places like reddit is massive. I want to say the average rank of active f12 posters here in 2018 is probably brown belt or not less than very experienced purple.

I am a brown belt and have wrestled (only freestyle though).

I hope soon in the next 3 years I will get a black belt.

Is Jiu Jitsu getting bigger in Russia? I mean, any comparison with sambo is still premature?

So the criteria is, if you wrestled folkstyle on any meaningful level, youre out as far as this thread goes? I think that's going to disqualify just about every American. A few come to mind:
-Babalu wrestled freestyle and Greco in some big international tournaments.
-Gleison Tibau was a national level freestyler in Brazil.
-Same for Glover Teixeira.
-Rolles Gracie has wrestled freestyle most of his life for Brazil. Some international, mostly national and regional.
-Igor Gracie, same as Rolles.
-Gregor, same as Igor and Rolles.
-Gesias Cavalcante entered the Dave Schultz International at least once and is a blackbelt.
-Pablo Popovitch has wrestled some big freestyle tournaments in the US.
-Jose Aldo's wrestling coach Daniel Malvino is a Blackbelt and wrestled a few international freestyle tournaments.

I really didn't expect every guy on my list to be Brazilian but I cant think of anyone else
I was a 2x All American in college, then I wrestled for the USA and was a resident athlete at the Olympic Training Center on the greco team. I won some tournaments, represented the USA a ton of times. Beat 3 of our Olympic team members and some world team members. My credentials are decent but way higher than any of the guys above. I got my black belt in 2015 under Ricardo Pantcho Feliciano Perreira who was a adult black belt world finalist.

Adam Wheeler was one of my teammates at the OTC. He took 3rd in the Olympics and is a legitimate black belt. I have seen him post here a few times.

damn thats crazy i remember in 2007 here being a blue belt was considered good lol the first time a black belt came here people were in awe lol

I was a 2x All American in college, then I wrestled for the USA and was a resident athlete at the Olympic Training Center on the greco team. I won some tournaments, represented the USA a ton of times. Beat 3 of our Olympic team members and some world team members. My credentials are decent but way higher than any of the guys above. I got my black belt in 2015 under Ricardo Pantcho Feliciano Perreira who was a adult black belt world finalist.

Adam Wheeler was one of my teammates at the OTC. He took 3rd in the Olympics and is a legitimate black belt. I have seen him post here a few times.
I think there is some sort of miss here. Did I misunderstood the point of the thread or did you misunderstand my post? TS said folkstylers are out did he not? I'm actually pretty familiar with your wrestling. We had a discussion in a thread I started about world class wrestlers in MMA. We talked about Kenny Johnson's bullshit marketing and the Korean greco world champ you trained with. I also noticed you were on a USA Grappling world team with Colby Covington, correct? Who was the coach back then? Liborio? So who's misunderstood here?

I'm familiar with Adam Wheeler. He won some good freestyle tourneys as well. I remember there was talk that he was gonna grapple Josh Barnett.

I think there is some sort of miss here. Did I misunderstood the point of the thread or did you misunderstand my post? TS said folkstylers are out did he not? I'm actually pretty familiar with your wrestling. We had a discussion in a thread I started about world class wrestlers in MMA. We talked about Kenny Johnson's bullshit marketing and the Korean greco world champ you trained with. I also noticed you were on a USA Grappling world team with Colby Covington, correct? Who was the coach back then? Liborio? So who's misunderstood here?
I would not consider myself a folkstyle wrestler as much as a greco wrestler. I had far better accolades in greco, beating Olympic and world team members as well as Olympic and world medalists. He asked for a poster with both a black belt and a background in greco/freestyle. I would say I pretty much fit that bill, getting paid to train for USA in greco then getting a black belt shortly after leaving the Olympic Training Center.

I was on the team with Colby. I got DQ'd in the semifinals while winning in the last 10 seconds for what they said was a slap. Sheldon Mar was the coach that year.

I'm familiar with Adam Wheeler. He won some good freestyle tourneys as well. I remember there was talk that he was gonna grapple Josh Barnett.

Wasnt Barnett also suppose to grapple against some guy from CSW who complaining Barnett being to bossy? Or is this the same guy?

I would not consider myself a folkstyle wrestler as much as a greco wrestler. I had far better accolades in greco, beating Olympic and world team members as well as Olympic and world medalists. He asked for a poster with both a black belt and a background in greco/freestyle. I would say I pretty much fit that bill, getting paid to train for USA in greco then getting a black belt shortly after leaving the Olympic Training Center.

I was on the team with Colby. I got DQ'd in the semifinals while winning in the last 10 seconds for what they said was a slap. Sheldon Mar was the coach that year.
Has the Greco team regained their funding or whatever the issue was with that?

Has the Greco team regained their funding or whatever the issue was with that?
The senior men are fully funded just like any other sport. There was a scholarship that fully funded a junior team that was reduced. This was to pay for their college tuition, room, and board. That is based out of Northern Michigan. Its still running but doesnt have the quality of athletes it did when it was a full scholarship program.

The senior men are fully funded just like any other sport. There was a scholarship that fully funded a junior team that was reduced. This was to pay for their college tuition, room, and board. That is based out of Northern Michigan. Its still running but doesnt have the quality of athletes it did when it was a full scholarship program.
Gotcha I remember Joe Warren mentioning something on a podcast after worlds

Wasnt Barnett also suppose to grapple against some guy from CSW who complaining Barnett being to bossy? Or is this the same guy?
The situation you're referring to actually sounds like Hector Lombard. Hector has trained with Paulson and CSW and he and Barnett apparently got real heated in training. I think Lombard actually wanted to fight him though. I say good for Barnett. Ive heard stories of Lombard doing real dickish shit in training.

Good for you man. No more grappling for USA Wrestling? You personally?

Back