Wrestling and boxing vs thai and bjj help me choose please?

As long as your doing a striking and a grappling art your fine.

Going to a good quality legit club is more important then style. I'd try a bunch of clubs then go with the one which is a good fit for you and fits your schedule.

Grappling is cool if you don't mind a lot of body contact with stinking sweaty dudes.. not a joke, the smell is real and revolting.
Boxing gets my vote

I am judo guy that will start boxing soon, I did Muay Thai before and is hard to get a nice teacher so if you´re in the US I´d go with the first combo. In the future though I would learn basic BJJ to know how to defend but you don´t need all the crazy guards you see today, only the basics to defend yourself.

Doing two martial arts that demanding never works if the goal is pure self defense. Way too time consuming.

At some point it has to be because you love what you are doing. I always found it silly to train many hours/week for self defense/ focusing the entire life on ma if I have one or two fights in my life and if you get a bottle about your head all the expensive training was for nothing :D Nowadays many bums have knifes and attack in groups.

I would just buy a good pepper spray and telescope stick and learn to use them. With all the free time you can learn more to live in a neighbourhood without bums.

To light the BBQ.......right.....
us aussie sure do love a bbq. but only if there's beer, lots of beer. actually even someone with a gun will think twice if they're covered in petrol, especially if you point out that the muzzle flash could set it alight.

us aussie sure do love a bbq. but only if there's beer, lots of beer. actually even someone with a gun will think twice if they're covered in petrol, especially if you point out that the muzzle flash could set it alight.

I love a good BBQ too.........and wouldn't dream of lighting one with petrol.........how's training going

I love a good BBQ too.........and wouldn't dream of lighting one with petrol.........how's training going
better than lighting one with people. knew a bloke that did that once. just getting back into a bit of serious training, thinking of having a few boxing fights. i gotta do something to avoid trouble, walked into some junkies house the other day and grabbed him by the neck for trying to stab a friend with a screw driver. and that was after i swore off drunken stupidity. me and alcohol just don't mix, i think it could be a lack of self preservation. the lack of self preservation helps when fighting though

by a few of your comments, i figure you have a pretty good grasp of the thai language, that's pretty cool. have you spent a lot of time there or do you have a thai wife or something?

by a few of your comments, i figure you have a pretty good grasp of the thai language, that's pretty cool. have you spent a lot of time there or do you have a thai wife or something?

I have spent a bit of time in Thailand, No the wife is from Mauritius originally......

better than lighting one with people. knew a bloke that did that once. just getting back into a bit of serious training, thinking of having a few boxing fights. i gotta do something to avoid trouble, walked into some junkies house the other day and grabbed him by the neck for trying to stab a friend with a screw driver. and that was after i swore off drunken stupidity. me and alcohol just don't mix, i think it could be a lack of self preservation. the lack of self preservation helps when fighting though

I really wish you would put your time into something a bit more constructive......even a career in boxing would be better than dodging junkies with needles........

I really wish you would put your time into something a bit more constructive......even a career in boxing would be better than dodging junkies with needles........
nar you gotta get 'em before they arm up. and don't make them bleed. i got covered head to toe in a junkies blood in particularly good fight i had years ago, woke up smelling like an abbatoir. i was also fucking some shady women at the time, so i took my arse straight for a blood test. something interesting i learnt, if you get a blood test for a fight you have to pay, if you say you have slept with "questionable" girls you get it for free. i don't pay for blood tests anymore.

I have spent a bit of time in Thailand, No the wife is from Mauritius originally......
what took you to thailand? was it the muay thai or the partying. heaps of aussies go there and behave like pricks, so it's not really a place that thinks too highly of australian tourists these days. i have a friend that rented an apartment over there for years.

what took you to thailand? was it the muay thai or the partying. heaps of aussies go there and behave like pricks, so it's not really a place that thinks too highly of australian tourists these days. i have a friend that rented an apartment over there for years.

Muay Thai and partying, it's a nice country, people are generally nice as long as you are respectful, they don't like loud rude people but I have had some brilliant nights (not with tourists).;)

nar you gotta get 'em before they arm up. and don't make them bleed. i got covered head to toe in a junkies blood in particularly good fight i had years ago, woke up smelling like an abbatoir. i was also fucking some shady women at the time, so i took my arse straight for a blood test. something interesting i learnt, if you get a blood test for a fight you have to pay, if you say you have slept with "questionable" girls you get it for free. i don't pay for blood tests anymore.

I think you was born in the wrong century......<45>

Noob here, want to train for self defense. Read that these pairs go well together. Which one should I choose? I am 6'7 and 225, and even though I have long limbs, couldnt really call myself lanky. My upper body is stronger than lower. I would guess that my reach would be a bigger plus in thai, and smaller minus in bjj.I have gone on practice sessions in all, and my estimation of my talent/competitiveness is this (could be an illusion):wrestling,boxing,bjj,thai,which is strange. Also,wherever I look, wrestling and boxing seem to be cheaper,and on my thai practice session "coach" tried to teach me kickboxing kick.

Also,its likely that I wont have time in first 6 months to train both,so in general what should I start first,grappling or striking?

Thanks in advance.
Honestly you'd probably kick ass even if you just knew wrestling.

Boxing is not great for self-defense unless you like breaking your hand.

I say do MT.

Self defense and your size? I'd say boxing and bjj for sure.

Back