Wrestlers who should have been world champion

While NWA and WCW were around there was a belt at least as prestigious as the WWE belt so double the opportunities.

You dudes think the AJ or the Reigns belt is more prestigious than the other?

Seems to me they’re both less prestigious than NWA up to 89 or WCW afterwards. Well WCW was a bit shit for half a decade.

Was listening to Schiavone and he said WCW never had anybody to make Sting because Flair was the bigger star and was always around.

Razor_Ramon_bio.jpg

Oh lets just retroactively give anyone a title run because it sure does make modern wrestling so good when they hotshot the belt every 5 minutes
None of these people should've got runs with the belt, especially not Jake
Not Andre
Not Piper
Not Hennig
Not Davey
But especially not Jake

Dibiase getting to keep the belt at The Main Event and losing it to Macho Man at Wrestlemania IV wouldve been better than the tournament but other than that the WWF title was booked perfectly
Yea lets have Hogan lose it every 3 weeks to some random heel that will make things so awesome
It will destroy his invincibility, ruin him as a mainstream star and completely kill the greatest storyline in pro wrestling history and rob us all of the amazing spectacle that was Wrestlemania III
Did you people even watch back then or are you a buncha fuckin dumb ass kids who just wanna ruin shit with your idiocy
Oh you fuckin assholes got my blood boiling

Having Hogan do the occasional job(and by occassional, I mean once per year, if that), would've built a bigger house the next time around, and made for much better angles in retrospect. Would it have made a positive difference in how much they drew? Who knows. But having Piper or Andre get a good heel run with the belt would not have slowed down the Hulkamania gravy train, and likely would've helped generate more interest in Hogan getting the belt back.

Oh lets just retroactively give anyone a title run because it sure does make modern wrestling so good when they hotshot the belt every 5 minutes
Not Andre
Not Piper
Not Hennig
Not Davey
But especially not Jake

Dibiase getting to keep the belt at The Main Event and losing it to Macho Man at Wrestlemania IV wouldve been better than the tournament but other than that the WWF title was booked perfectly
Yea lets have Hogan lose it every 3 weeks to some random heel that will make things so awesome
It will destroy his invincibility, ruin him as a mainstream star and completely kill the greatest storyline in pro wrestling history and rob us all of the amazing spectacle that was Wrestlemania III
Did you people even watch back then or are you a buncha fuckin dumb ass kids who just wanna ruin shit with your idiocy
Oh you fuckin assholes got my blood boiling

Andre is recognized as a champ though

Having Hogan do the occasional job(and by occassional, I mean once per year, if that), would've built a bigger house the next time around, and made for much better angles in retrospect. Would it have made a positive difference in how much they drew? Who knows. But having Piper or Andre get a good heel run with the belt would not have slowed down the Hulkamania gravy train, and likely would've helped generate more interest in Hogan getting the belt back.

I want to agree with you, but I can see the flip side that once that Hogan money started pouring in Vince was probably scared to ruin it.

Rude should have beaten the Warrior for the belt only to lose it shortly thereafter, maybe a summer slam-survivor series run, or even summer slam to rumble. They bet on the wrong horse in that feud, even with the career ending injuries, Rude was better for longer. That would have spared us Sergeant Slaughter with the belt in 91, he was an inferior talent by that point.

I agree with everything except the Sergeant Slaughter run. That dude was drawing serious heat. I can't remember of anyone drawing so much heat with such limited talent. The character fit the program and the time frame perfectly. Slaughter said he had so many death threats they made him wrestle in a flack jacket. I remember as a kid loving Sid yell and spit a half gallon of water on him and the Iraqis when they tried to get him to side with them for the 6 man tag.

A huge part of Hogans appeal was that he was invincible, a "real life" Superman that was able to beat every evildoer and supervillian that tried to topple him
Once you take that away from him its gone forever
93,173 people dont pack the Pontiac Silverdome to see if the insane unstoppable monster Andre The Giant can finally be the one to beat Hulk Hogan if they've already seen him lose twice before , not to mention all the mainstream media coverage that evaporates instantly once the aura disappears

A huge part of Hogans appeal was that he was invincible, a "real life" Superman that was able to beat every evildoer and supervillian that tried to topple him
93,173 people dont pack the Pontiac Silverdome to see if the insane unstoppable monster Andre The Giant can finally be the one to beat Hulk Hogan if they've already seen him lose twice before , not to mention all the mainstream media coverage that evaporates instantly once the aura disappears

A good face and especially a Hogan can take a screw job loss. Then again maybe not, Goldberg’s loss destroyed him BUT there were other factors.

I disagree. If Andre went into Mania 3 with the belt, the payoff would've been even greater when Hulk body slammed him, gave him the leg drop, and pinned him IMO.

A good face and especially a Hogan can take a screw job loss. Then again maybe not, Goldberg’s loss destroyed him BUT there were other factors.

The streak should've ended before he got to the belt IMO. It was a good gimmick to get him over initially, but after awhile it gets old. If you allow him to get the belt having never lost, it defines him. And once the gimmick fades, fans will stop caring about him.

The Ravishing One. Rick Rude
His work in WCW was great

Rick Rude was WCW world champ in the early 1990s, but should have had bigger runs, agreed

To me, a guy like Piper who never had the belt makes me hold him in higher esteem. I see Piper as being so damn good, he never needed the belt. Kind of Like Dusty(I know he had the belt) but he didn't NEED it. Dusty was as over as you could possibly be in the late 70s early 80s whether he had the belt or not. Dibiase, Perfect, etc. All fricking fantastic and never needed the belt.

Scott Hall is a guy who also never needed the belt, but shouldn't have been given it either. Not because of his personal issues, but due to the fact that he could work big man style or smaller guy, and always looked great. You don't want your HW champ putting over small guys in general, which Hall was typically willing to do.

i always see owen mentioned and i dont get it. maybe its because of the way he died that he gets elevated higher than he might have in the eyes of people. i never viewed him as a top talent or anything special. i certainly never looked at him as more than a fringe intercontinental champion. i thought he belonged more as a curtain jerker than a main event guy. i think his last name also helped him. and maybe i am wrong, but there is nothing wwf ever did that gave me the impression they felt any other way than the way i did.

i always see owen mentioned and i dont get it. maybe its because of the way he died that he gets elevated higher than he might have in the eyes of people. i never viewed him as a top talent or anything special. i certainly never looked at him as more than a fringe intercontinental champion. i thought he belonged more as a curtain jerker than a main event guy. i think his last name also helped him. and maybe i am wrong, but there is nothing wwf ever did that gave me the impression they felt any other way than the way i did.
I think most view Owen the same way you do but when people mention Owen possibly getting a brief transitional run, I think most are referring to 1994. That is the only time I could buy Owen as a brief champ because he was riding the high of the mania victory over Bret and the Kotr win that summer. Owen could have gotten a sneaky title win that summer and then Bret regains at Summerslam in the cage.

Personally I don’t have a problem with him not getting the belt, that’s just the only time I could have believed him getting the belt.

Not Andre

Had me with you until this.

Another great heel that didn't need no WWF belt....

Actually come to think of it, how many legends are we talking about ITT: Piper, Jake, Andre,, Razor, Perfect DiBiase..they never were champs yet they stuck with us. They never needed a belt to be over and they were more valuable because of that. Without the world belt they could be booked as needed with no regard for the restrictions on booking a champ (booking your singles champ in a tag match for a ppv...you're wasting your draw)

Think of the forgotten Champs, the belt did them no favors, we forget they had it because they were not over, and yet we have talent so over they never needed it.

Last edited:
Rick Rude was WCW world champ in the early 1990s, but should have had bigger runs, agreed

WCW International World Heavyweight Champion =/= WCW World Heavyweight Champion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back