Wrestlers who should have been world champion

Discussion in 'Pro Wrestling Discussion' started by Death, Feb 25, 2018.

1. warriorscomeout

warriorscomeout Gold Belt

Sheik has been living dead for the last decade.

Death likes this.
  2. warriorscomeout

While NWA and WCW were around there was a belt at least as prestigious as the WWE belt so double the opportunities.

You dudes think the AJ or the Reigns belt is more prestigious than the other?

Seems to me they’re both less prestigious than NWA up to 89 or WCW afterwards. Well WCW was a bit shit for half a decade.

Was listening to Schiavone and he said WCW never had anybody to make Sting because Flair was the bigger star and was always around.

3. GetTheseHands

GetTheseHands 2 For 1 Deal Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

4. Uptown Swinger

Uptown Swinger --⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆- ✡ -⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆--

In a van with yo bitch wIt both hands on her tits!
  5. gspieler

gspieler Red Belt

Having Hogan do the occasional job(and by occassional, I mean once per year, if that), would've built a bigger house the next time around, and made for much better angles in retrospect. Would it have made a positive difference in how much they drew? Who knows. But having Piper or Andre get a good heel run with the belt would not have slowed down the Hulkamania gravy train, and likely would've helped generate more interest in Hogan getting the belt back.

6. UberKneeOf209

UberKneeOf209 Purple Belt

Andre is recognized as a champ though

7. prod2821

prod2821 Gold Belt

Jeff Jarrett

8. catchwrestle

catchwrestle Yellow Belt

I want to agree with you, but I can see the flip side that once that Hogan money started pouring in Vince was probably scared to ruin it.

Egnuldt likes this.
  9. catchwrestle

catchwrestle Yellow Belt

I agree with everything except the Sergeant Slaughter run. That dude was drawing serious heat. I can't remember of anyone drawing so much heat with such limited talent. The character fit the program and the time frame perfectly. Slaughter said he had so many death threats they made him wrestle in a flack jacket. I remember as a kid loving Sid yell and spit a half gallon of water on him and the Iraqis when they tried to get him to side with them for the 6 man tag.

Egnuldt likes this.
  10. Pliny Pete

Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

A huge part of Hogans appeal was that he was invincible, a "real life" Superman that was able to beat every evildoer and supervillian that tried to topple him
    Once you take that away from him its gone forever
    93,173 people dont pack the Pontiac Silverdome to see if the insane unstoppable monster Andre The Giant can finally be the one to beat Hulk Hogan if they've already seen him lose twice before , not to mention all the mainstream media coverage that evaporates instantly once the aura disappears

Egnuldt, Batjester and catchwrestle like this.
  11. warriorscomeout

A good face and especially a Hogan can take a screw job loss. Then again maybe not, Goldberg’s loss destroyed him BUT there were other factors.

12. gspieler

gspieler Red Belt

I disagree. If Andre went into Mania 3 with the belt, the payoff would've been even greater when Hulk body slammed him, gave him the leg drop, and pinned him IMO.

The streak should've ended before he got to the belt IMO. It was a good gimmick to get him over initially, but after awhile it gets old. If you allow him to get the belt having never lost, it defines him. And once the gimmick fades, fans will stop caring about him.

13. TennBJJ

TennBJJ Brown Belt

Rick Rude was WCW world champ in the early 1990s, but should have had bigger runs, agreed

To me, a guy like Piper who never had the belt makes me hold him in higher esteem. I see Piper as being so damn good, he never needed the belt. Kind of Like Dusty(I know he had the belt) but he didn't NEED it. Dusty was as over as you could possibly be in the late 70s early 80s whether he had the belt or not. Dibiase, Perfect, etc. All fricking fantastic and never needed the belt.

Scott Hall is a guy who also never needed the belt, but shouldn't have been given it either. Not because of his personal issues, but due to the fact that he could work big man style or smaller guy, and always looked great. You don't want your HW champ putting over small guys in general, which Hall was typically willing to do.

14. ProBoxingInsidr

ProBoxingInsidr Silver Belt

i always see owen mentioned and i dont get it. maybe its because of the way he died that he gets elevated higher than he might have in the eyes of people. i never viewed him as a top talent or anything special. i certainly never looked at him as more than a fringe intercontinental champion. i thought he belonged more as a curtain jerker than a main event guy. i think his last name also helped him. and maybe i am wrong, but there is nothing wwf ever did that gave me the impression they felt any other way than the way i did.

15. tec87

tec87 Who the F*** is Sean? Platinum Member

I think most view Owen the same way you do but when people mention Owen possibly getting a brief transitional run, I think most are referring to 1994. That is the only time I could buy Owen as a brief champ because he was riding the high of the mania victory over Bret and the Kotr win that summer. Owen could have gotten a sneaky title win that summer and then Bret regains at Summerslam in the cage.

Personally I don’t have a problem with him not getting the belt, that’s just the only time I could have believed him getting the belt.

the ambush likes this.
  16. Count Zero

Count Zero Twisting Nether

Had me with you until this.

HomerThompson likes this.
  17. Good Ole Stannis's BBQ

Good Ole Stannis's BBQ Red Belt

18. RollsRoyceGracie

RollsRoyceGracie Banned Banned

[​IMG]

DarkKnight81 likes this.
  19. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

Another great heel that didn't need no WWF belt....

Actually come to think of it, how many legends are we talking about ITT: Piper, Jake, Andre,, Razor, Perfect DiBiase..they never were champs yet they stuck with us. They never needed a belt to be over and they were more valuable because of that. Without the world belt they could be booked as needed with no regard for the restrictions on booking a champ (booking your singles champ in a tag match for a ppv...you're wasting your draw)

Think of the forgotten Champs, the belt did them no favors, we forget they had it because they were not over, and yet we have talent so over they never needed it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Egnuldt and catchwrestle like this.
  20. LEWIS540

LEWIS540 .

WCW International World Heavyweight Champion =/= WCW World Heavyweight Champion

catchwrestle likes this.