Wrestlers who could have gotten over in multiple eras?

the moment Lesnar would F5 Andre, the roof would blow on any arena back in the 80s

Jack Brisco (NWA World Heavyweight Champion, Collegiate Division 1 NCAA champion) would have gotten over in many eras.

Mark Lewin could have and did get over in multiple eras from the 50s to the 80s. He could transform himself into various looks that were barely recognizable from how he looked previously and was always a star.

Ole Anderson could have gotten over in multiple eras as a wrestler and a booker. His work in the ring was believable and very rugged, even sadistic at times which got him a lot of heat. On the mic he could cut good, convincing promos that contributed greatly to his success as a heel. He just came a cross as one cold, smart, mean, bastard!

Jake Roberts could have gotten over in multiple eras with his understanding of ring psychology and his persona and mic skills. He has one of the most creative minds in wrestling history and an excellent understanding of what makes a good match. He knows how to manipulate the emotions of the fans, and playing to the emotions if the fans never goes out of style.

Bill Watts and Eddie Graham would have gotten over in multiple eras but especially as bookers/promoters.

Last edited:
I'd like to name just a couple wrestlers who I think people would tend to assume they would have gotten over in just about any era and explain why that's probably not true.

Hulk Hogan - He was clumsy when starting out and no promoter or booker seemed to be able to teach him anything that would make him a successful wrestler. Finally the maker of more legends than any other single promoter during the days of the territories, Verne Gagne, managed to teach Hiogan so things that helped him a lot. Then Hogan had that role in Rocky III which was great for Hogan's popularity and image. Nevertheless, in all the eras where most wrestlers had the ability to legitimately wrestle and the matches where much more snug and tight, Hogan would have been lost, totally out of his element.

Bruno Sammartino - He wouldn't have been a big star or a star at all if he had come along a generation later ir any era after that. Not because he didn't have the ability to make it in those more recent eras as well as the present era, but because he hated what wrestling was turning into starting with the Hulkamania era. It's not that he liked the newer style a little bit, but nowhere near as much as his era; he truly hated the new era of Hulkamania and the subsequent eras so much that he would not have been a pro wrestler or sports entertainer. he would have refused to be a part of the sports entertainment business.

A few "off the radar" guys:

Nikita Koloff - Big evil foreigners have been and always will be a draw. Put him with a good mouthpiece in any era, and he's the dragon you build up for the babyfaces to slay. Plug him into the roles in each era inhabited by Hans Schmidt, Ivan Koloff, Iron Shiek, Yoko, etc. and he can get it done

Ernie Ladd - Super underrated IMHO. Monster of a man who could flat get it done in the ring and make you believe he was a true bad ass. A great athlete and worked both face and heel.

Nick Bockwinkel - First, its a God damned shame no one mentioned him yet. Great worker, intelligent on the mic and easy to hate. Plug him into any era and he's drawing for you.

Nah. Brock would have never made it a bigger territory where you had to cut a promo on tv. Andre didn’t cut promos but he was a much bigger freak, pun intended.

Brock wouldn’t even be the most massive, athletic or roided dude with guys like Ron Fuller, von Erichs, Billy Graham and Austin Idol around.
Yeah lets see ron fucking fuller do a shooting star press

Lesnar is as massive in terms of sheer size as anyone in the history of pro wrestling history but he actually has actual athletic ability and is a national champion in amateur wrestling.

Lesnar is legitimately one of maybe 2 guys who could have gotten over in any era. Put him in the late 1800s/turn of the 20th century with the likes Hackenschmidt, Gotch, Farmer Burns and Lesnar would still get over in an era where legit skills were necessary and promo/mic skills were non-existent.

Put Lesnar in the 1910s-1930s with guys like Toots, Zbyszko, Stretcher Lewis and he's still get over.

Put Lesnar into the 1940s-1950s with the likes of Thesz, Rogers, Whipper Watson and he'd still get over.

From 60s-early 80s, he still would be a promoter's wet dream as wrestling entered the TV era so he's got the size, mean streak, ability, the look, and they wouldn't have much to worry about in terms of someone trying to get one over on their champion.

While lists like GOATs, workers, etc can easily be disputed, the idea that Lesnar could not get over in the previous era is absolutely absurd.

Naw, Angle had the personality to survive not to mention the skill that promoters wanted. If not in the WWWF/WWF in the 80s, he definitely would've survived and thrived in the NWA. Angle and Flair are almost a wash when it comes to size while Angle's background dwarfs Flair.

Again, Lesnar and Angle are the only two locks for me. They are the only two I firmly believe would be a top star or perennial contender regardless of era, be it the 1890s or 1930s, 1960s, or 1980s.

Now a guy like Hogan, in the TV era, would definitely survive and thrive but go to the turn of the century to the early 50s, it would be very tough
You should post more.
PWD has gone to shit the last couple of years. I blame rex and kevin personally.

Nick Bockwinkel

Ernie Ladd

Roddy Piper

Dusty Rhodes

Ray Stevens could have gotten over in just about any era.

Just wanted echo those saying Leaner. Saku said it perfect, no need to add more.
I love Ernie Ladd but let's be honest....
He wouldn't have had the opportunity in the earlier eras. Just being candid. Just a great wrestler and believable tough guy. I loved his promos also.
Someone mentioned Ray Stevens ...
Yes! So talented, he would be impossible to keep down.
Dusty who I also love would be a hard sell in today's era and in the early years.
Angle yes.
Superstar maybe. Might have gotten "Munned" in the early eras.
Billy Robinson perhaps but it was said of him, " unbeatable in a shoot, unbelievable in a work, unable to draw."
So many to choose from.......
Nice thread and good responses guys.

If I could combine Mullet Scott Steiners skills with the Big Poppa Pump character I would say him

Charisma
Athleticism
Legit background
The look
Ripped to the gills
Probably a little insane

Cannot believe Shawn Michaels and Rick Rude aren't on the list. They had the classic heel character down to a "T".

Some of this shit, like the Undertaker, doesn't make sense. The WWF's cartoon characters would've and could've never gotten over in the early days of pro wrestling, on up to the 80's NWA. Never, ever, ever. Ever.

Guys like Michaels, Rude, Michael P.S. Hayes, and Steve Austin (Stunning or Stonecold), however, could be dropped in any org or era and fit right in.

Current Miz has the talk for most eras.

Both Bam Bams had the look, size, and working ability to do great anywhere and anytime, especially Bigelow.

Scott Hall and Jeff Jarrett were well rounded and good enough in all aspects that they could've been middle of the card or better in most territories and most eras.

Back