Wrestlers: What does it mean to wrestle "funk?"

Necro threads ftw huh?

When people are describing Ben Askren as a "funk" wrestler, they're probably talking about his particular style of attack. Funk wrestlers are guys who use high risk moves. Randy Lewis is another good example, I think. He would let you grab his leg just so that he could counter and throw you. Typically, these wrestlers love scrambles, love being on the ground (where they can use their "funk" to their advantage), love throws, love counters, etc. Most of the time, funk wrestlers are long and lanky. This one guy I know, he's kind of mix of funky wrestling and the famous "John Smith" style of wrestling, he will take a bad shot on purpose just so that he can sit out and finish.

I've seen Askren's instructional. It's just a lot of unorthodox positions and counters. Haven't really had much use for it since a lot of it would get you killed in BJJ but it was fun to see what he came up with.

nope. funk is all good in bjj or mma or wrestling (except freestyle)

Last edited:
it's what happens when a bass player takes up wrestling, and has to start slapping the strings because their fingers got broke

And LOL at BJJ Scout straight up stealing Cary Kolat's content, and repackaging it as their own.

Man, looking back at this, many of the responses were terrible.

Back