Wrestlers: What does it mean to wrestle "funk?"

The most entertaining collegiate wrestler I've seen, IMO. Can't wait to see him in MMA.

Can you turn the funk (the move) into a heel hook? I think I remember my coach warning us that it was kinda dangerous and could blow the knee...

not really, would be much easier to get a kneebar or a FFTH

We had a really funky wrestler on my high school team. It was very annoying to wrestle him because he stunk all the time.

Wait what?

funk isn't really a style, but it can be if you do it all the time. funk is where you do crazy shit to get out of moves (out of the norm technique). such as someone has a single so you front flip through their legs and try to come out the back door. another example is someone has a single leg on the mat and instead of wizzaring you spin around the opposite way towards his butt. so if he had a single on the right leg youd spin to your right side. Also, maybe from top bottom, instead of just standing up you do a stand up to granby or some other stuff. Funk can be from anywhere is basically what I'm trying to say.

The thing with Funk wrestlers is that not many people wrestle that style so they don't know how to defend.

When Ben Askren was a Freshman or a sophmore he upset Chris Pendelton using his "funky" style.

But Pendelton beat him pretty convincingly every time they wrestled after that.

In the video on this thread Askren dominates Herbert pretty bad but that is also because Herbert played right into his game and try to scramble with him.

I would be really interested to see how a rematch would go today because Herbert is dominating his wiegthclass this year just like Askren did that year.

Funk is just trying to get into scramble, the man with the better hips wins.

my man is an animal! In the Sherdog Interview a few weeks ago, says he's been rolling BJJ for a good while. Maybe it's that influence that gives him the unorthodox angles.

Can you turn the funk (the move) into a heel hook? I think I remember my coach warning us that it was kinda dangerous and could blow the knee...

I tried that once! I think it can work. I didn't get it bc the guy I was rolling with was a pro fighter and my coach so he was having none of it, but it did get me out of the defensive position and put us in a scramble where we ended up in a neutral position.

Genki Sudo has a very "funk" style of jiu-jitsu

This is an old fucking thread.

To espand there is acounter that is called The Funk.

When a guy goes for a head outside single or High Crotch, you come over top, grap the ankle roll underneath and come out the backdoor.

I know a funky guy. the only problem is he tries too hard to not be funky.

I thought the term "funk" in wrestling was just the name of one move, where to escape a single leg, you do a backflip.

I've been getting into more funky wrestling maneuvers lately. I wonder if a sumi-gaeshi high single defense, or an uchi mata counter, is considered funk. Probably just counter wrestling.

"Funk" is not a move. Dont overthink it too much. Its just when you expose your back momentarily to either regain position or score. Thats it.

Back