Wrestler with worst TDD

karateisundratd

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Which wrestler has the worst take down defence? IMO it is Chael, he was taken down easily by Rashad, Jones and Maia, on the other Tyron and Colby were easily able to keep it on the feet against Maia, despite being much smaller.

Dan Henderson.

Hendo was a weird case.

Plenty of fights where he didn't even look like he had a wrestling background, but he seemed to be able to turn in on when he wanted to do.

He did an excellent job of stalemating Rashad in their fight even though he was clearly past it and off TRT at the time.

Anthony Johnson comes to mind

The only guy who really owned Rumble after he started fighting in his proper weight class was DC, and there's no shame in that.

He easily stuffed Bader and Davis, who are two of the better wrestlers in the sport.

Hendo was a weird case.

Plenty of fights where he didn't even look like he had a wrestling background, but he seemed to be able to turn in on when he wanted to do.

He did an excellent job of stalemating Rashad in their fight even though he was clearly past it and off TRT at the time.
Yah, Hendo is a weird one: KO's Fedor then gets wrestle fucked by Jake Fucking Shields. It does not get any weirder than that. Also, what is funny is that he used to be Jon Fitch 1.0 at the beginning of his career and then he turned in to a head hunter who was getting out wrestled by strikers.

I wouldn't say he has the worst tdd for a wrestler but romero gets taken down surprisingly often for an olympic wrestler. Or, at least, that's my impression. I can't think of specific instances.

The only guy who really owned Rumble after he started fighting in his proper weight class was DC, and there's no shame in that.

He easily stuffed Bader and Davis, who are two of the better wrestlers in the sport.
In fairness, Bader kinda stuffed Bader, not to mention shit his pants in the process. The Phil fight was awfully impressive tho, and, it really makes me wonder wtf happened to him in both D.C. fights, esp the second one, where he was engaging in the wrestling.

Yah, Hendo is a weird one: KO's Fedor then gets wrestle fucked by Jake Fucking Shields. It does not get any weirder than that. Also, what is funny is that he used to be Jon Fitch 1.0 at the beginning of his career and then he turned in to a head hunter who was getting out wrestled by strikers.

there was really nothing funny about the shields fight. He hit him hard and spent his energy going for the kill. It didn't happen and shields took over.

I wouldn't say he has the worst tdd for a wrestler but romero gets taken down surprisingly often for an olympic wrestler. Or, at least, that's my impression. I can't think of specific instances.
Romero developed Hendonitis: an Olympic wrestler who falls in love with taking people's heads off and then ends up getting out wrestled by BJJ guys and strikers.

there was really nothing funny about the shields fight. He hit him hard and spent his energy going for the kill. It didn't happen and shields took over.
Damn straight there was nothing funny about the Shields fight, seeing as I love Hendo and dislike Shields. It was the most frustrating thing seeing him getting ragdolled, knowing full well he is an Olympic caliber wrestler and Shields is a high school level wrestler who trains with the Diaz bros. props to Shields for weathering the storm, but it is still does not make the pill easier to swallow.

Which wrestler has the worst take down defence? IMO it is Chael, he was taken down easily by Rashad, Jones and Maia, on the other Tyron and Colby were easily able to keep it on the feet against Maia, despite being much smaller.
tyron probably has more muscle mass than chael though.

Romero doesn't seem to care about getting taken down if he's not focused on wrestling.

Look at the Weidman fight. Weidman took him down multiple times. However, when Romero started actively engaging the grapping exchanges at the end of the second round, it was clear that he was levels above Weidman in skill and athleticism.

It might be an energy management thing.

Dan Henderson.

The upright Greco stance combined with aggressive striking didn't translate well into wrestling defense for mma.

Yeah it's Hendo. He had great scrambles but got taken down a lot. Wand looked like the olympic wrestler in their first fight.

Back