WRDL: Sign up sheet, Debate Topics & Scoreboard | Page 26

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Limbo Pete, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Phr3121 Purple Belt

Phr3121
    Yes! I was born in Brazil. Lived there till I was 12 when I moved to the U.S. Lived and worked in Brazil years later as an adult for 5 years. The country has gone to shit. It has become a culture of corruption. Brazil was a better country under military rule than it is now. I'm probably a minority in that view. Some countries (people) do not know how to handle Democracy. I hate the fact that Brazilians are such pacifists. Russia is going through something similar after 'Glasnost & Perestroika'. I'll debate anything 'Limbo Pete', and take either side.

...see, we talked about Confederate monuments after our Civil War debate (3 months ago) and look at what is happening.

Limbo Pete likes this.
  2. Limbo Pete Super Samoderator Belt

Limbo Pete
    I'm more specifically familiar with the history of Guatemala than I am Brazil... how would you feel about using that country for our debate prompt? Ideally, i'd like to debate the merits of American intervention in the country (not sure what the specific question will be). Can I put you down for that? We could look at Brazil too, if you want, but as an organizer and potential moderator I like to be as familiar as possible with our topics.

3. Phr3121 Purple Belt

Phr3121
    I'll have to study up on Guatemala, but yes you can put me down for it. I think we have a member that is from Guatemala. I'll try to remember the members that are from Central and South America.

Limbo Pete likes this.
  4. Phr3121 Purple Belt

Phr3121
    @Limbo Pete

. Rod1, Cuauhtemoc, JadeOwl, panamaican, and you have Arkain2K.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Limbo Pete likes this.
  5. Limbo Pete Super Samoderator Belt

Limbo Pete
    Thanks man. I think we can set up a pretty damn good debate here.

6. Higus Silver Belt

Higus
    Any thoughts to a death penalty debate?

Stoic1 and Fawlty like this.
  7. Fawlty Al Gore Rhythm

Fawlty
    Would be happy to set this up. There is enough division on this one that somebody should be willing to debate each side.

8. Higus Silver Belt

Higus
    The formats are too long for me to participate in, but I'm sure there are plenty of takers and it's a topic with plenty to argue on both sides. Would be nice to get some new voices to try it out, too.

Fawlty likes this.
  9. Phr3121 Purple Belt

Phr3121
    I like that. I am for the death penalty. The old traditional and cheap way. Hanging and electrocution. Evil doers (those who rape and kill children in particular) should not get away with lethal injection. But, than again, life in prison would be torture.

@Higus, @Limbo Pete

Fawlty likes this.
  10. Fawlty Al Gore Rhythm

Fawlty
    I can go either way on the death penalty philosophically, but oppose it mostly on the grounds of statistics- too many bad convictions. If I felt strongly enough I'd argue, but I'm okay with it if it's used in a very limited and careful way, where there is really zero ambiguity. Dahmer, certain public murders, etc. Never when the case is circumstantial, or when there's any chance the DNA story is not true.

AnGrYcRoW likes this.
  11. Phr3121 Purple Belt

Phr3121
    Molesters are usually killed in prison the world over. "...where there is really zero ambiguity." Ahh, you need to tell that to the cops who are killing people with 90% ambiguity.

12. Fawlty Al Gore Rhythm

Fawlty
    I'm not sure molesters are attacked as much as people think. That varies since it's something that can be allowed or punished depending on the leadership of the prison, I assume. You're preaching to the choir when it comes to cops wasting people in the street. Although I think that's another issue where perceptions and reality don't line up- in this case, thanks to the way the internet works. Cops are probably getting way more professional, and I haven't seen any data suggesting they're killing more people (though the data is still really incomplete).

13. Phr3121 Purple Belt

Phr3121
    You missed the thread about police shootings where I was talking to two guys who were cops. One in California. He said that they are authorized to shoot to kill if they perceive a threat. There is no need for a gun to be involved. My question was: 'Why carry mace, a taser, and a baton? He said depending on the circumstances, most cops would just shoot to kill. We had two men (black) here is Oklahoma who were killed last year and not armed. Amazing! You can be shot to death just for throwing a punch at a cop.

Fawlty likes this.
  14. Higus Silver Belt

Higus
    I'd argue against the death penalty, but I can't really commit to a debate in the current format; Way to busy during work these days and I'm not really active on the site on nights or weekends. Maybe some day the organizers can come up with a condensed format. Otherwise I'll just give my opinions in relevant threads.

Fawlty likes this.
  15. Fawlty Al Gore Rhythm

Fawlty
    Can you put a number on how many long, thoughtful posts you'd be willing to make on the subject over the course of a week or two? I think we could support a format with 5 posts per person.

16. Higus Silver Belt

Higus
    5 posts over a week or 2 would be doable.

Fawlty likes this.
  17. Limbo Pete Super Samoderator Belt

Limbo Pete
    I'm still looking for someone to take up a debate on US foreign policy and intervention in Latin America, focusing specifically on Communism and the cold war. @Phr3121 is down to argue one way or the other, so what we need is someone to debate from a pro-intervention perspective.

Fawlty and Phr3121 like this.
  18. Limbo Pete Super Samoderator Belt

Limbo Pete
    @TheStruggle
    I feel like a guy rockin a Pinochet av should be interested in this

Fawlty likes this.
  19. Fawlty Al Gore Rhythm

Fawlty
    Is this the full list of agreed debates as of now?

1) Falsedawn vs Starman : "Institutional racism no longer exists in the United States."

2) JDragon vs JudoThrowFiasco: "The Iran Nuclear Treaty should be dissolved and remade"

3) m52nickerson vs Thursaz II: :Roe v Wade should be upheld

20. Stoic1 Patriot

Stoic1
    I've smashed fucking skulls on this debate for over 10 years.