WOW Mozilla joins fight against Fake News backed by philanthropist George Soros

lecter

not even webscale
@Silver
Reaction score
Maybe Mozilla should assign more engineers to their failing Firefox project instead and try to make it less shitty. But that's none of my business. Several companies joining forces with government agencies and political activists to improve Democracy and correct lies is definitely desirable, even though a Stanford study confirmed that almost nobody read 'fake news' and only a fraction of the few readers took it seriously.
rawstory:

Mozilla, the non-profit which runs the Firefox internet browser, said Wednesday it was launching a drive against “fake news” as fact-checking software backed by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar got its first run-out in public.

The US-based open source group said it was “investing in people, programs and projects” in a new initiative to actively “disrupt misinformation online”. It said the “internet’s ability to power democratic society suffers greatly” because of fabricated stories, such as the Pope endorsing Donald Trump for the US presidency and India’s 2,000-rupee note containing a tracking device.

The Kenyan election this week has also seen both bogus BBC and CNN news reports circulating on social media. Morzilla’s innovations director Katharina Borchert told AFP that it was working on tools for Firefox and better online education with media groups, universities and tech activists.

The “Mozilla Information Trust Initiative” comes as an automated real-time fact-checking engine developed by the Full Fact foundation was demonstrated in London. The group, which is backed by Omidyar and Hungarian-born investor and philanthropist George Soros, said its software is capable of spotting lies in real time, and was used to fact-check a live debate at the House of Commons.

Full Fact have been working with Britain’s Office of National Statistics on the project, which they insisted was still very much at the test stage. “As the proponents of propaganda and misinformation become more sophisticated in their use of technology, it is important that fact checkers do not fall behind in our fight against it,” Full Fact said.

You only have to look at the number of initiatives that have risen up to address this challenge, either by tech companies or other organisations to see how worrying this phenomenon is to so many,” Borchert added. “Whether it’s become a big enough priority is perhaps a better question,” she said, arguing that it was time for rival news organisations to “rally around” to confront fake news.
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/mozilla-and-fact-checker-engine-join-fight-on-fake-news/

And some quotes from businessinsider:

Dubbed the Mozilla Information Trust Initiative (MITI), the project is aimed at bringing together companies and interest groups from around the web to better understand the fake news problem and figure out what, if anything, can be done to fix it.

"If we don’t manage to lessen the mental burden on people constantly worrying if information is trustworthy, it lessens the value of the open web for everyone who participates, and poses a lot of problems downstream," she said.

Mozilla is encouraging other companies to look back at their own user data, so that all involved can get a better understanding of the issue.
http://uk.businessinsider.com/mozilla-new-initiative-counter-fake-news-2017-8?r=US&IR=T

Sounds interesting. Are you confident that the difficult war against Fake News can finally be won with united forces and new technology?

The war on fake news is like the war on terrorism.

A front for other things.

It's humorous how these same worthless "fake news" stories keep getting brought up, even though their impact on world-wide events was about as significant as those old click-bait banners which told people they had won a million dollars. Scamming has gone on in the internet for decades, yet nobody cared until it became convenient.

Everyone with a functioning brain understands that the purpose of this witch-hunt on "fake news" is something else entirely. To take greater control of the narrative in a "Wild West" environment that is not yet fully dominated by the "special interests" which seek to spin their own web of half-truths, misrepresentations and outright lies as the pinnacle of what is to be regarded as true.

Backed up by a "flawless algorithm", it becomes even easier to convince the half-wits that there is scientific legitimacy behind this so-called "truth".

Last edited:
Depressing.

Also, when is George Soros going to kick the bucket? When he dies that mastermind dies too. I mean seriously, this is getting to be more than much.

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/3599
"And as I've mentioned, we've all been quite content to demean government, drop civics and in general conspire to produce an unaware and compliant citizenry. The unawareness remains strong but compliance is obviously fading rapidly. This problem demands some serious, serious thinking - and not just poll driven, demographically-inspired messaging."

So is mozilla fighting soros or backed by him? Title is worded poorly.

So is mozilla fighting soros or backed by him? Title is worded poorly.
Sorros backs the fight against Fake News, the title isn't worded poorly, I have the best words

Well fuck, time to find a new browser. I prefer my window to the web to be Windex-spueaky clean. Not a stain glass commie mess of puritanical ideologue church-style window.

I know there's misinformation out there. I don't trust some third party to choose what is or is not "real news". As it is the portals i use now feed a heavy dose of leftist bullshit.

IS Opera a good option??? I remember using it a bit a long long time ago. But went back to mozilla because it just wasn't as supported.

Last edited:
Thank God unbiased George Soros is getting involved to let us all know what is acceptable to read and what isn't.

What about the war on the war on the war on the war? Total front.
Again, you ignore obvious right wing horse shit to attack the left. You see nothing wrong with the executive branch propaganda (that would be literal state propaganda, for those keeping score) against real news, as they call it fake because it's disagreeable. You're the hackiest of hacks. You beg for the authoritarian cock.

Everyone will need thier daily ration of loving big brother spammed in thier face.

Again, you ignore obvious right wing horse shit to attack the left. You see nothing wrong with the executive branch propaganda against real news, as they call it fake because it's disagreeable. You're the hackiest of hacks.
How can you say that shit and keep a straight face? Honest question.

Well fuck, time to find a new browser. I prefer my window to the web to be Windex-spueaky clean. Not a stain glass commie mess of puritanical ideologue church-style window.

I know there's misinformation out there. I don't trust some third party to choose what is or is not "real news". As it is the portals i use now feed a heavy dose of leftist bullshit.

IS Opera a good option??? I remember using it a bit a long long time ago. But went back to mozilla because it just wasn't as supported.
Use Chromium, Firefox is garbage anyway

Back