Would you want there to be an afterlife?

Would you want there to be an afterlife? Let's pick the Christian version since it's what we're most knowledgeable about.

If you're a good person, you go to Heaven.

If you're a piece of shit, you go to Hell.

Would you prefer this over ceasing to exist after dying?
giphy.gif

church people suck on earth I couldn't imagine spending eternity with them plus you would have to deal with the ones that lived 100s and 1000s of years ago they're probably even worse

hell is a place of torment that doesn't sound very fun either

I think I rather just die

Having experienced nothingness for a few hours, I can attest to it. It is extremely scary.
Sorry but if you have 'experienced' nothingness you have not experienced it at all.

What you have experienced is a sort of outer body experience but at no point was you 'gone'.

To die and be dead means just that there is no more thoughts or feelings.

Yea, life's a fuckin gyp otherwise. Nothingness doesn't really seem to me like a sufficient payment for our toiling. We should all be rewarded for our suffering and struggle - for our service to the universe and its mysterious game.

The people who lead destructive and selfish lives should just get the box of coal equivalent of an afterlife reward, while the good and productive people are rewarded with something that they've always wanted.

Yea, life's a fuckin gyp otherwise. Nothingness doesn't really seem to me like a sufficient payment for our toiling. We should all be rewarded for our suffering and struggle - for our service to the universe and its mysterious game.

The people who lead destructive and selfish lives should just get the box of coal equivalent of an afterlife reward, while the good and productive people are rewarded with something that they've always wanted.
Strong entitlement here.

Sorry but if you have 'experienced' nothingness you have not experienced it at all.

What you have experienced is a sort of outer body experience but at no point was you 'gone'.

To die and be dead means just that there is no more thoughts or feelings.

I don't agree with you. Out of body experience is an entirely different thing. And there were absolutely no thoughts or feelings, it was nothingness. Like I said, it was nothing like regular sleep where you kind of know you are alive and there are dreams and such.

Sure, why not. But being a Buddhist I subscribe more to the reincarnation school of thought than the Heaven/Hell dichotomy.

Would you want there to be an afterlife? Let's pick the Christian version since it's what we're most knowledgeable about.

If you're a good person, you go to Heaven.

If you're a piece of shit, you go to Hell.

Would you prefer this over ceasing to exist after dying?

It really depends on how its arbitrated whether you're a good person or a bad person. If it is based strictly on the bible's teachings, that would kind of suck.

I think there can be good people who don't follow the bible.

I'd prefer Hell because I'm assuming people in Heaven will be a bunch of uptight and judgemental assholes vs. Hell, where people I'd assume would be more fun in general and probably hotter women, too.
Plus drugs and alcohol. And violent video games.

I've also nearly died before and experienced absolute nothingness. It ISN'T like sleeping. Sleeping has dreams and random thoughts.

It's like going into a black void, and then returning. That concept is scary as fuck. Obviously once it happens you won't know it's happened. You'll be dead.

That makes it all the more frightening, suddenly ceasing to exist.

I've also nearly died before and experienced absolute nothingness. It ISN'T like sleeping. Sleeping has dreams and random thoughts.

It's like going into a black void, and then returning. That concept is scary as fuck. Obviously once it happens you won't know it's happened. You'll be dead.

That makes it all the more frightening, suddenly ceasing to exist.

i was thinking about that a few days ago. imagine all of the billions of people that have ever existed....yet they dont exist anyore. its like a spark, there and gone, brief, bright, yet insignificant.

i was thinking about that a few days ago. imagine all of the billions of people that have ever existed....yet they dont exist anyore. its like a spark, there and gone, brief, bright, yet insignificant.

Sad when you really think about it. One shot at life and a large part of it is so heavily influenced by factors beyond your control

So all the native Americans, all the aboriginal people in Australia......just for example... hundreds and thousands of years ago, who never heard of Jesus burned in hell for eternity? Burned in hell, because they didn't know who Jesus was? That sounds very fair and reasonable. Exactly what a just god would do.
You've heard of Him...do you accept Him?

Nothingness does not scare me, but dying (going into nothingness) is kind of scary to me.

Anyway I believe in a different form of existence after death.

Don't think you deserve anything for your efforts?

No, just another flea on the mudball. Grateful that I got to experience life for X amount of years and not be an inanimate piece of matter for all eternity.

I'd prefer Hell because I'm assuming people in Heaven will be a bunch of uptight and judgemental assholes vs. Hell, where people I'd assume would be more fun in general and probably hotter women, too.

+1. imagine the rest of your life being lectured by a room full of @ripskater .

I will take Hell for $500 thanks Jim.

Back