Would You Take Up Dancing To Help With Your Coordination And Rhythm??

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
There has been a history of fighters who have danced to help with their training. Some have even done it in a professional capacity.

Some did it formally such as Lomachenko and Sugar Ray Robinson.

Some may have not done it formally (to my knowledge) but were known to use it in their fights such as Muhammad Ali, and Prince Naseem.

Would you ever take up dancing in order to help with your coordination, rhythm, and fluidity of movement or add it into your style to throw your opponent off?

How well do you think the aforementioned fighters benefitted from their dancing in their fights, and are there any other examples that come to mind?

Thoughts?

Would You Take Up Dancing To Help With Your Coordination And Rhythm??

No - only as a separate hobby, fun with the misses! :oops:

I rather incorporate more training exercise's methods that are target specific and fun to do like :

First by using a Metronome like this one - http://eumlab.com/pro-metronome/

Following the metronome rhythm on timing with coordinated striking using correct technique.

You can use tennis balls as well.
I use tennis balls in various ways and a double ended bag with the metronome and increase beats and speed/rhythm combinations.

Its a little different to what you are asking or discussing but its specific and related to martial art exercise conditioning focusing on:
  • Rhythm
  • Coordination
  • Timing
  • Speed
  • Accuracy
  • Movement
  • Target focus
  • so on......
Not forgetting add the required footwork (which is the dance part) heaps of videos you can use on your own on that but here is an example using all the above.....

This is my opinion of course and what I enjoy in reference to Coordination And Rhythm

Last edited:
i only thinks that works for people who are extremely stiff and not the best cordnation i use to ddr dance at a professional level though i think it very much helps with footwork

There has been a history of fighters who have danced to help with their training. Some have even done it in a professional capacity.

Some may have not done it formally (to my knowledge) but were known to use it in their fights such as Muhammad Ali, and Prince Naseem.

Would you ever take up dancing in order to help with your coordination, rhythm, and fluidity of movement or add it into your style to throw your opponent off?

How well do you think the aforementioned fighters benefitted from their dancing in their fights, and are there any other examples that come to mind?

Thoughts?
I would, but not before I exhausted, or nearly, actual fighting styles for improvement.

I wish I had taken up dancing, and singing when I was very young to help me in the ladies department.

If only I could sing like this guy below, I be swimming in babes. And of course it takes a lifetime of training started young. I had the chance to do this, but I did not think it manly, so took up MA, and physical sports

<Prem973> <Prem973> <Prem973>

Off topic sorry.

Thoughts?

I dance (salsa) and train (not fight tho). I feel it is more efficient to get the coordination, rhythm, and timing from more specific training in your fight sport. Skipping rope and playing with the rhythm actually helped me be a better dancer as opposed to the other way around.

Dancing, especially partner dancing is fun in its own.

AFAIK, the cues most used in striking are visual and tactile cues, not auditory. Not sure what effects if this exercise has if done regularly.

These are way better, especially the tennis ball ones.

Well that is true however "Reaction Timing" strike training on the 1 or 3 beats has been used with sound in Wing Chun/JKd/Filipino arts.

Yes this may include visual and tactile cues as we rely on sensitivity training as well.

But we are digressing now my opinion was to center an activity around "Martial Arts - Rhythm and Coordination" as per original post question.

You can use a number system as well like Mike Tyson uses.

I have trained with stick sounds using 1,2,3 and half beats throwing combination strikes in between beats.

As an example found these two videos..........

Last edited:
AFAIK, the cues most used in striking are visual and tactile cues, not auditory. Not sure what effects if this exercise has if done regularly.

I think it's helpful to use audio to make rhythm tangible, whether it's music or a metronome.

Well that is true however "Reaction Timing" strike training on the 1 or 3 beats has been used with sound in Wing Chun/JKd/Filipino arts.

And.. the fight record of these styles? Funny thing is, I'm Filipino, had a Chinese-Filipino friend that learned Wing Chun from his Hokkien uncle, and yet doubts the effectiveness of these styles.

But we are digressing now my opinion was to center an activity around "Martial Arts - Rhythm and Coordination" as per original post question.

You can use a number system as well like Mike Tyson uses.

I have trained with stick sounds using 1,2,3 and half beats throwing combination strikes in between beats.

But the video posted prior has the strikes INITIATED by the audio cues. Not working around, but the beep itself was the signal to strike.

I think it's helpful to use audio to make rhythm tangible, whether it's music or a metronome.

To make a sound as a cue to initiate a strike (just like what was shown on the AKBAN video) is not aligned to the reality of violence. The audio that makes rhythm tangible is the fist/gloves smacking on the target.

And.. the fight record of these styles? Funny thing is, I'm Filipino, had a Chinese-Filipino friend that learned Wing Chun from his Hokkien uncle, and yet doubts the effectiveness of these styles.

But the video posted prior has the strikes INITIATED by the audio cues. Not working around, but the beep itself was the signal to strike.

To make a sound as a cue to initiate a strike (just like what was shown on the AKBAN video) is not aligned to the reality of violence. The audio that makes rhythm tangible is the fist/gloves smacking on the target.
If the guy is using the metronome anything like musicians do, the idea isn't to hear the sound and then punch - it's the anticipate the sound and punch when you know it will come; the sound works as a feedback mechanism. This helps you develop a sense of rhythm and time feel.

If the guy is using the metronome anything like musicians do, the idea isn't to hear the sound and then punch - it's the anticipate the sound and punch when you know it will come; the sound works as a feedback mechanism. This helps you develop a sense of rhythm and time feel.

And that's the problem. The only auditory feedback in fisticuffs is the smack-squish of flesh, and that's after the fact. Visual (in largo) and tactile (infighting range) are the two feedback mechanisms used. A tick-tock and/or beep is fine if one is an observer to see the rhythm, but as a fighter?

Sure, but the goal is to develop the ability to keep a rhythm without needing the metronome - so you learn how to set up a rhythm in your punching, break it, etc. The goal is to get it where you don't need the feedback.

Sorry, I can't and don't agree at all!

As you can see by the highlighted text that is the actual problem........because going by that theory ..... NO Martial Art or fighting systems actually works!

NO system or method no concept not ..........

MMA, Akido, Kenpo, Karate, Taekwondo, Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, Kali Escrima, Boxing or any other for that matter because they can all be argued for its flaws against 1 vs 1 challenge.

There is so much ridiculous nonsense online trying to disprove everything in regards to martial arts, its sickening and disrespectful.

First why even bother discussing Martial Arts / Fighting at all, if everyone is going to white wash and water down everything!

Most importantly, we live in a modern civil world if you murder and assault someone its prison time for that person.

In ancient times Martial Arts was to death now we have Rules and Regulations under UFC Org.

The style is as good as YOU (the practitioner) hence the success of so many systems still actively taught!

How many Boxers have risen to fame, only a hand full in history.

For example:-
  • Floyd Mayweather
  • Mohammad Ali
  • Mike Tyson
  • Rocky Marciano
  • etc............ just to name a few greats
Where unfortunately many others simply did not cut the mustered, because they did not possess the fight within themselves and the will to see it true!

Its about how you master the individual art/style of fighting and...... "EXPRESS IT"...... in which they all did!

747569484.png

Its about the character in the man............

73d6ab5007149a6337e2496a0651b883.jpg

Its the discipline of inner creation and perfection to master and continue on that path of perfection, never actually arriving but striving to be the greatest one can be within oneself...................

8421495dbe186e73648b438e5fb7d4b0.jpg

Last edited:
Your're right that specificity matters, but you're overthinking this drill. Auditory cues improves motor and neurological efficiency across various motor task. With Parkinson patients we use metronomes to improve gait and it works. The mechanisms are a little harder to explain but in essense dopamine release and feedback loops that are lacking in patients with motor pathologies are bypassed by sound, which helps initiate the movement. It's very interesting stuff.

That's one of the reasons I'm fascinated by the Ingle boxing lineage. They use a lot of music, rhythm and auditory cues. Obviously combining it with visual cues, or using visual cues in general is probably more important, but it depends on what you're trying to achieve really.

Sorry, I can't and don't agree at all!

As you can see by the highlighted text that is the actual problem........because going by that theory ..... NO Martial Art or fighting systems actually works!

NO system or method no concept not ..........

MMA, Akido, Kenpo, Karate, Taekwondo, Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, Kali Escrima, Boxing or any other for that matter because they can all be argued for its flaws against 1 vs 1 challenge.

There is so much ridiculous nonsense online trying to disprove everything in regards to martial arts, its sickening and disrespectful.

First why even bother discussing Martial Arts / Fighting at all, if everyone is going to white wash and water down everything!

Most importantly, we live in a modern civil world if you murder and assault someone its prison time for that person.

In ancient times Martial Arts was to death now we have Rules and Regulations under UFC Org.

The style is as good as YOU (the practitioner) hence the success of so many systems still actively taught!

How many Boxers have risen to fame, only a hand full in history.

For example:-
  • Floyd Mayweather
  • Mohammad Ali
  • Mike Tyson
  • Rocky Marciano
  • etc............ just to name a few greats
Where unfortunately many others simply did not cut the mustered, because they did not possess the fight within themselves and the will to see it true!

Its about how you master the individual art/style of fighting and...... "EXPRESS IT"...... in which they all did!

747569484.png

Its about the character in the man............

73d6ab5007149a6337e2496a0651b883.jpg

Its the discipline of inner creation and perfection to master and continue on that path of perfection, never actually arriving but striving to be the greatest one can be within oneself...................

8421495dbe186e73648b438e5fb7d4b0.jpg

This is gold. People spend all of their time trying to debunk one style's effectiveness or discredit the next.

Everything can be countered. If we are looking for a style or system that can't be countered we would spend more time searching than actually training and becoming proficient in something.

It has benefits if you've done it in the past and I'm grateful it has helped, but I wouldn't say it helps to the extent of wanting to cross-train it to improve footwork. You'd be better off doing specific movement training, even the point-scoring type of Karate improves footwork for fighting more than dancing (think Machida's movement).

I've done both dancing and point-scoring karate when younger, and while both helped I'd say the point-scoring karate was a lot more useful for full contact fighting than the dancing.

It has benefits if you've done it in the past and I'm grateful it has helped, but I wouldn't say it helps to the extent of wanting to cross-train it to improve footwork. You'd be better off doing specific movement training, even the point-scoring type of Karate improves footwork for fighting more than dancing (think Machida's movement).

I've done both dancing and point-scoring karate when younger, and while both helped I'd say the point-scoring karate was a lot more useful for full contact fighting than the dancing.

I think you also have to consider what type of dance. Most people I think jump to hip hop, breaking, or freestyle.

Ballet is a form that is very strict and teaches a ton about balance, spatial awareness, and maybe most importantly ---- angles.

Different sport, but still contact, football players have been taking up ballet. Some I've known are even forced to by their coaches during the off season.

I don't think it's a bad thing, can help, but still have to win the fight.

I think you also have to consider what type of dance. Most people I think jump to hip hop, breaking, or freestyle.

Ballet is a form that is very strict and teaches a ton about balance, spatial awareness, and maybe most importantly ---- angles.

Different sport, but still contact, football players have been taking up ballet. Some I've known are even forced to by their coaches during the off season.

I don't think it's a bad thing, can help, but still have to win the fight.

There is no off season in fighting though :)

Back