Would you rather see a draw instead of a robbery?

Yes so they can run it back.
Only if it's an important fight, like for a belt or to settle an old score or something.

For ordinary fights? Who cares, they're equal, move on to the next matchup

In the event of a draw, a winner must be decided by slap off.

draws are disappointing, but robberies are a black eye for the sport and it's flawed judging... so of course draws are preferred.

If a round is close enough that you're not sure who won it, it's a draw.

If the fight was a draw, it should be scored as a draw, it's that simple. And a fighter is not robbed just because he lost a close decision.

Definitely. I'd rather a draw than a controversial decision any day of the week. An extra round to decide who is the winner would be great in those situations imo.

Hardly an event goes by with out some outcry over at least one decision that transpired on the card.

Within the rules; it's perfectly acceptable to award a 10-10 but sometimes it seems like the judges are so unsure that they just flip a coin as to who to award the 10 and 9 points to after each round. Would you like it to be encouraged, to a degree, that if the judges are really unsure who won the round that they should score it a 10-10?

Obviously, this would result in more draws, but would you rather a fighter who has spent months training for a fight have a draw (at the very least) on his or her record instead of a highly-disputed loss? Is walking away with a draw better than being robbed and having that forever on your record?
I'de rather see a draw.

Usually yes I prefer draws.

However, that Woodley Vs Thompson 2 fight was so bad I was glad to see someone as the winner.

The 10-point must system is a vestige of boxing, where most fights are 10+ rounds for 3 minutes each.

Most MMA fights are 3 rounds for 5 minutes each. There are widely varying degrees of dominance in an MMA round, it makes no sense to pigeonhole 90% of rounds as 10-9. This has lead to boring displays of point fighting, most notably from GSP, Bisping, and Wonderboy.

Rounds are meant to be arbitrary in MMA, as recently at 1999, UFC fights consisted of a single (very long) round. Assigning the same score to almost all rounds in ridiculous.

The best solution would be to keep the 10-point must system and implement factional scores.

For example, look at how Woodley-Thompson 2 would have been scored.

Rd 1: Thompson 10.0-9.9
Rd 2: Thompson 10.0-9.9
Rd 3: Woodley 10.0-9.2
Rd 4: Thompson 10.0-9.6
Rd 5: Woodley 10.0-8.8

Woodley 49.4-48.0

Yes, definitely. I have never understood the need to force a 10-9 when it doesn't exist.

In the UFC's own rules/judging overview that kicks off live events, they describe the 10 Point Must system without ever mentioning the possibility of a 10-10 round. They are partly to blame for the current state of judging.

Yes.

Draws mean a rematch whereas a robbery is controversial, but they would most likely move on.

Back