Would you help a cop chasing a suspect?

I just saw you are from Miami I use to live at 15901 collins ave before Trump bought it. You ever run into @SMillard down there?
We've been over this before my dude. I've never lived in Miami Beach, I'm in North Miami right now. I've never run into @SMillard afaik although I do remember us conversing before Irma last year

I'm more in the Ft Lauderdale area, I used to work in Miami Lakes for about 11 years and in Allapattah for about 11 years now my office is in Davie. Faustian and I have talked about places we are both familiar with like Greenbrier (or as I call it, where strippers go to die).

There are a few other people down here in the tri-county area, never met any of them. Closest thing was when I posted on Bullshido.net they would have "Bully beatdowns" which were pretty much a gathering at a gym/MMA school and everyone would roll and spar, basically a meet and greet as well as a good way to gauge how good your training was. Then after we all went out for sushi and beer. I don't think anyone on Sherdog would be game for the same thing and I don't know if my body could handle the abuse anymore.

I wouldn't.

I mean there could be slight possibility that I'm allowing a murderer or serial rapist get away, in which case that's unfortunate. However, there is a possibility that the cop is being a corporate attack dog, or a bully, or harassing someone over dumb shit like sleeping in the commuter lounge.

Yeah. Have done. Worked the security industry as a side gig for decades and not only is a moral duty, it's great to get some action.

I'm more in the Ft Lauderdale area, I used to work in Miami Lakes for about 11 years and in Allapattah for about 11 years now my office is in Davie. Faustian and I have talked about places we are both familiar with like Greenbrier (or as I call it, where strippers go to die).

There are a few other people down here in the tri-county area, never met any of them. Closest thing was when I posted on Bullshido.net they would have "Bully beatdowns" which were pretty much a gathering at a gym/MMA school and everyone would roll and spar, basically a meet and greet as well as a good way to gauge how good your training was. Then after we all went out for sushi and beer. I don't think anyone on Sherdog would be game for the same thing and I don't know if my body could handle the abuse anymore.
I actually came to Miami lookin for Jessica Ryder after meeting her in Nashville. Liked the place so much I stayed there for a year then moved to Daytona. Argued with you on here back in 2015 about bicycles then saw you were from Miami and figured you were cool. Been talkin to you about biking and scuba diving ever since.

I actually came to Miami lookin for Jessica Ryder after meeting her in Nashville. Liked the place so much I stayed there for a year then moved to Daytona. Argued with you on here back in 2015 about bicycles then saw you were from Miami and figured you were cool. Been talkin to you about biking and scuba diving ever since.
I don't know about the cool part, but thanks. God I gotta get back on my bike, the weather has been really shitty and the new house is a pain in the ass. I swear if I could somehow dump my wife and mother by somehow keep my dogs and parrot I'd be so happy.

Little concerned about the scuba diving after I collapsed the lung on the bike trails a couple years back. Although I'd still love to go. Just noticed the white belt, what happened did you get banned before or just start back over?

I would ask first if the officer wanted help. Last thing you wanna do is play superhero and land your ass in trouble.

@Protectandserve This thread needs your expertise
It is very dependent. In a vehicle pursuit please stay away. Too much risk for you and us. I've seen a few in LA where vehicles tried to help but ended up boxing in PD.

Foot pursuits, just give us directions. Point and do the he went that way. No need to get involved other ways.

If I am getting fucked up in a fight jump in. Say something, ask if officer needs help and then help.

That's why CCW, military etc get a pass from me for tickets. They usually will help me if I'm getting fucked up on the side of the road.

It is very dependent. In a vehicle pursuit please stay away. Too much risk for you and us. I've seen a few in LA where vehicles tried to help but ended up boxing in PD.

Foot pursuits, just give us directions. Point and do the he went that way. No need to get involved other ways.

If I am getting fucked up in a fight jump in. Say something, ask if officer needs help and then help.

That's why CCW, military etc get a pass from me for tickets. They usually will help me if I'm getting fucked up on the side of the road.
Yeah, I figured that you'd mostly want us to stay out of the way. The idea of jumping in, saying, "He went this way, follow me!" and then drawing a firearm like I'm your deputy or something seems preposterous. I figured you would want me to sit quietly on the sidelines without fucking your situation up, especially since you don't know if I'm a good guy or not, we aren't working on the same SOPs, etc. If I'm jumping in, it's because I can do something to help where I 100% won't mess stuff up for you as a professional or because I'm now preparing to act alone (if you've been shot or rendered unconscious, we aren't getting in one another's way because you aren't going to be doing a damn thing, haha). Just wanted your take on the matter. If you need some help, just say so and I'll be sure to try and lend a hand ;)

Yeah, that's pretty much my view. Only time I would intervene is if a copper is getting curb-stomped. Anything less I'll keep out of the way and let them do their job.

Sadly I don't think I would anymore. A few years back sure, But I am getting more and more jaded about police abuse and cover ups so no.

that said, if I saw the police struggling to subdue a person who was fighting back and they wanted my help I would probably help. It might seem a weird distinction but I would see it as helping to stop damage being done to either the chased or the police.

I am always amazed at poorly trained police are in actually subduing suspects when you see videos of 3 and up to 5 cops struggling to take down and hold down one guy.

It seems they have no training on a coordinated attack. One guy shoots and takes the legs and only stays on the legs. Keep them held tight together and force him onto his back. Another cop takes one arm and one arm only. The third cop takes one and one arm only. 99.9% of the populace will be easily subdued that way. You can then control him to cuff him.

I am always amazed at poorly trained police are in actually subduing suspects when you see videos of 3 and up to 5 cops struggling to take down and hold down one guy.

It seems they have no training on a coordinated attack. One guy shoots and takes the legs and only stays on the legs. Keep them held tight together and force him onto his back. Another cop takes one arm and one arm only. The third cop takes one and one arm only. 99.9% of the populace will be easily subdued that way. You can then control him to cuff him.
While I totally agree that most aren't good at this, I don't find it that surprising. When you consider that most police academies are 6 months long, running 5 days per week for 8 hours per day, you don't get much time to train people to a very high level. They need to learn all the driving stuff, marksmanship, do physical fitness training, learn documentation like writing tickets, how to preserve a crime scene and investigate, admin stuff like proper wear of the uniform, classroom stuff about learning the law, etc. That's a lot to cram into a short period of time, so the average recruit is going to have a low proficiency in all those areas. Once they practice on the job, some skills will sharpen due to use and others will atrophy. I'm betting that most officers don't do some of this stuff since the academy 10 years ago, so they're totally untrained at the point where they need to use it.

We could train our departments more, but then they would need bigger budgets, more officers to give folks time to train, training facilities, instructors, and all that. But that would mean prioritizing this stuff...

I don't know about the cool part, but thanks. God I gotta get back on my bike, the weather has been really shitty and the new house is a pain in the ass. I swear if I could somehow dump my wife and mother by somehow keep my dogs and parrot I'd be so happy.

Little concerned about the scuba diving after I collapsed the lung on the bike trails a couple years back. Although I'd still love to go. Just noticed the white belt, what happened did you get banned before or just start back over?
Dude I been on here as a supra since 2006 and my real name since i lived in Miami in 04. I get mad and argue with people and threaten them and well repercussions. 3 mods wanted me back so I came back and someone made me a greenie. I try and be peaceful easy feeling now and not threaten to bash peoples skulls in.........................Im doing ok so far. I havnt dived in awhile tho even after getting a supercharged jetski that will get me there quickly.

I see 2 jabronis run towards me and i just fill the street with uppercuts.
Criminal gets one, and the cop gets one.
Whomever wakes up first dictates what happens next
<Fedor23>

My mom's cousin ran from the police last year after getting busted for stealing at Walmart. A dude saw the chase and went after him to help the police. Her cousin was happy afterwards saying he was going to be rich after suing Walmart, when that fell through he turned his attention to the guy who apprehended him. I felt bad, a black guy helps the police and still ends up in trouble with the law. But her cousin is illiterate and is pretty well known among the police for his squatting practices, so it's unlikely he's going to successfully sue anyone. Still a risky situation, I'm good sitting on the sidelines in that scenario.

While I totally agree that most aren't good at this, I don't find it that surprising. When you consider that most police academies are 6 months long, running 5 days per week for 8 hours per day, you don't get much time to train people to a very high level. They need to learn all the driving stuff, marksmanship, do physical fitness training, learn documentation like writing tickets, how to preserve a crime scene and investigate, admin stuff like proper wear of the uniform, classroom stuff about learning the law, etc. That's a lot to cram into a short period of time, so the average recruit is going to have a low proficiency in all those areas. Once they practice on the job, some skills will sharpen due to use and others will atrophy. I'm betting that most officers don't do some of this stuff since the academy 10 years ago, so they're totally untrained at the point where they need to use it.

We could train our departments more, but then they would need bigger budgets, more officers to give folks time to train, training facilities, instructors, and all that. But that would mean prioritizing this stuff...
One days practice with any local rugby team would teach cops how to act as a group to take down and restrain any singular person who is not a world class counter fighter. You divide and conquer the body with each person focusing on a section. Legs together, arm out and arm out. No singular person can over come one person on each of those limbs.

No because I pay them to do that job, but he asked for my help, the kid in me will think that is the coolest, raddest thing on earth, and I gleefully engage.

One time this chinese delivery boy was screaming for help because this man mugged him, and was running away. He looked at me as he was giving chase signaling for help, but I just stood there.

I was so out of shape. This incident prompted me to get back into MA training, but I got kind of bored and quit again. If only that delivery boy had CCW.

One days practice with any local rugby team would teach cops how to act as a group to take down and restrain any singular person who is not a world class counter fighter. You divide and conquer the body with each person focusing on a section. Legs together, arm out and arm out. No singular person can over come one person on each of those limbs.

for combat, I always think Murka Football is closer because you can block.

Back