Would you eliminate world hunger if you could?

Always thought this song was sarcastic as fuck. I mean, seriously, read the lyrics:

There's a world outside your window,
and it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing
is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring there
are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them
instead of you!

And then it sorta asks with a smirk, do those poor SOBs even know it's Christmas? Well, probably no because they're too busy dying. Har har, Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you!

This line always confused me. It seems counter intuitive to the song

It can't be eliminated. Feed the world and they'll just get more horny and make more babies.

There is some truth to that. I saw a documentary the other day about some old fuck in the Gaza strip who had 3 wives and like 30 children lol. He wanted a fourth one, even if all the family lives on aid.

There is some truth to that. I saw a documentary the other day about some old fuck in the Gaza strip who had 3 wives and like 30 children lol. He wanted a fourth one, even if all the family lives on aid.

The fertility rate of Niger is over 7.

That means the average woman there has SEVEN kids and 50% of the women there have more than 7.

If these people can't live within their means, how is that my responsibility???

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.

This will be a day to give thanks.

Tomorrow sucks though.

I suspect if you funded and built the infrastructure for them to be self-reliant, they'd fuck it up. I saw a documentary where I think this Japanese guy funded and built something and the fucking villagers stole the key machinery and everyone was screwed.

SMDH.

There are people ITT that will tell you with a straight face that infant mortality is a good thing in impoverished countries, then complain when someone says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

SMDH.

There are people ITT that will tell you with a straight face that infant mortality is a good thing in impoverished countries, then complain when someone says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

You are kind of amalgamating a couple of things here.

But no, I don't think that anybody here is not sensitive to children dying.

Rather, it's more about recognising one of the sources of the problem, which is that hungry people are having fertility rates of like 5+.

No. The world is overpopulated and I'm not willing to sacrifice myself to feed parasites who can't take care of themselves.

People are not parasites. You also arent sacrificing anything substantial.

As to why we dont do it, humans are greedy. I include myself in this. I could save lives if i didnt spend so much on my own amusement. Feels bad man.

You want to save more people? I thought we were all about climate change and protecting the world? Saving more people will only add to the burden the planet faces.

People have lots of children because the infant mortality rate is high and lack of education in not using condoms. In those places you try to have like 10 kids so that 4 or 5 of them can live in adulthood. The kids then act as your retirement plan as they are expected to take care of you when you are older.

Populations plateau when people dont have to worry about food/water/epidemics/natural disasters wiping people out. Then they focus on shit like 'careers' and 'dreams'

We actually do need more dependent people who can't fend for themselves to keep the species going.

Please say that louder and for everyone to hear.

This is the left logic. Nobody but them knows how or what to do.

People have lots of children because the infant mortality rate is high and lack of education in not using condoms. In those places you try to have like 10 kids so that 4 or 5 of them can live in adulthood. The kids then act as your retirement plan as they are expected to take care of you when you are older.

Populations plateau when people dont have to worry about food/water/epidemics/natural disasters wiping people out. Then they focus on shit like 'careers' and 'dreams'

So don't have children and kill yourself.
Then you don't have to worry about it.

I can end poverty in a generation. Pay people to sterilize themselves.

I'd rather see the world's population decrease by 50%.

I also believe that people need to take more responsibility and should grow their own food.

wouldnt it make more sense to wipe out Halloween candy in exchange for squash for everybody?

Would you eliminate world hunger if you could?

Yes. A noble cause. But that being said, money is not the issue. We have tried that before in Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, and other places and it did not work. Why? Because the food never gets to the people that need it. Many of these countries are fighting a civil war and the factions take over the donated food for themselves. They turn around and sell the food to the locals. So, it has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with the distribution of the food. That part is the problem and that is what is hard to control. It would involve UN troops and some killing in the process. How many countries want to get involved with that?

Back