Would You Be Cool With Diaz/Poirier Being Promoted to Main Event For UFC 230?

Rogan said on the end of the UFC 228 PPV that they already have a main-event, it just needs to be finalized/announced. He seemed excited. First time i thought those Jon Jones rumours might actually be true.
Eh. I take what Rogan says with a grain of salt.

Would that be the first time a PPV event wasnt headlined by a title bout in the last, i dont know 10 years?

Last edited:
Absolutely.
Only casuals need belts. Give me a 5 round Diaz fight any day.
I'd much rather pay for that fight than 3/4 of the garbage headliners they've had this year.

I thought Diaz was one of the biggest draws in the UFC/world? Why wouldn't they make that the main?
I don't know about drawing power but in this case it might seem kinda bad to some people. The "co-Main Event" turns into "Main Event". It simply isn't the same as having it as the main event from the beginning.

Absolutely no! Unless if it's for an interim belt which obviously won't happen, ppv need always to be for a belt unless you are Conor or GSP

I feel better about Nate's chances if it's a 5 round fight. It should be the Main Event anyway. Screw the belts

Might as well. Maybe put the vacant women's flyweight belt on as com main?

Btw, I obviously don't care. I'm talking about hypothetical "others".
IMHO, I'd like it if they had the fight as a main event from the start but they didn't. Their problem, not mine.

All I want is Nate to kick some butt.

Absolutely no! Unless if it's for an interim belt which obviously won't happen, ppv need always to be for a belt unless you are Conor or GSP

<{hughesimpress}>

Fake belts are meaningless and frankly some of the real ones these days aren't much better. This will be a fucking war and should be 5 rounds with the whole world watching. It's also meaningful in terms of the title shot landscape at 155 if that matters.

No they don't
No needs a title fight.
No it doesn't
only if it was for and interim belt
What they hell is this obsession with belts? This is why UFC thinks it needs to have a title on the line every event and make shitty interim titles if they can't pull it off for real

Guys, I hate to break it to you, but the belt is just an object - a shiny object - but an inanimate object that adds no extra value to the fight or changes it in any way. It started back in the carnival days when they'd have wrestling events. The "belt" was just a gimmick the ringmaster came up with to help sell tickets. A gimmick, that's all it is. Wake up, smell the coffee, and move on
1200px-LSD-2D-skeletal-formula-and-3D-models.png

With time running low on a Main Event announcement (I believe tickets pre sale go on in a week or two) the UFC is seemingly scrambling to come up with a Main Event for UFC 230. Not sure what direction they were looking toward but its still my opinion that they were hopeful for a Bones return, which was stupid to bank on.

Now the only option left seems to be Woodley vs. Covington. Woodley just fought, but he seemed open to the idea at the UFC 228 post fight presser. Since then it's been revealed he has ligament damage in his hand from bouncing it off of Till's face so many times. He said it may not be significant but we'll see.

Next option would be promoting the Co-Main Event between Nate Diaz and Dustin Poirier to the Main Event slot. Personally, I'd be down as fuck for that. That fight deserved to be five rounds from the jump. I would get why some would see that as a cop out though with no true Main Event.

What do you guys think?
giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Yeah but even if it's not promoted to main event, it should at least be scheduled for 5 rounds just in case. It's the kind of match up that if it goes the 3 round distance, we will all be disappointed that there weren't another 2 rounds.

I'm fine with it, but because the slot hasn't been filled yet I'm a bit gassed up on the possibility of seeing Jones return.

Nate vs Poirier would be fine as a main event, but they would need to add a big co-main. Rockhold vs Weidman 2 is ok but not for an MSG co-main.

Not sure what they could add at this point for a co-main under Nate/DP. Maybe Gaethje/Aldo?

It'd be a travesty of leviathan proportions if Poiriaz was not a 5 rounder.
It would probably benefit Nate as well, but he has never been long on smarts.

No they don't

No it doesn't

What they hell is this obsession with belts? This is why UFC thinks it needs to have a title on the line every event and make shitty interim titles if they can't pull it off for real

Guys, I hate to break it to you, but the belt is just an object - a shiny object - but an inanimate object that adds no extra value to the fight or changes it in any way. It started back in the carnival days when they'd have wrestling events. The "belt" was just a gimmick the ringmaster came up with to help sell tickets. A gimmick, that's all it is. Wake up, smell the coffee, and move on
1200px-LSD-2D-skeletal-formula-and-3D-models.png

It’s slightly understandable that casuals would need a belt. But it’s fuckin staggering that people on Sherdog think that way.

Nate vs Poirier would be fine as a main event, but they would need to add a big co-main. Rockhold vs Weidman 2 is ok but not for an MSG co-main.

Not sure what they could add at this point for a co-main under Nate/DP. Maybe Gaethje/Aldo?
I love Gaethje/Aldo but if that is the fight it'll be at UFC 231, that's Aldo's preference.

Back