Would You Be Cool With Diaz/Poirier Being Promoted to Main Event For UFC 230?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
With time running low on a Main Event announcement (I believe tickets pre sale go on in a week or two) the UFC is seemingly scrambling to come up with a Main Event for UFC 230. Not sure what direction they were looking toward but its still my opinion that they were hopeful for a Bones return, which was stupid to bank on.

Now the only option left seems to be Woodley vs. Covington. Woodley just fought, but he seemed open to the idea at the UFC 228 post fight presser. Since then it's been revealed he has ligament damage in his hand from bouncing it off of Till's face so many times. He said it may not be significant but we'll see.

Next option would be promoting the Co-Main Event between Nate Diaz and Dustin Poirier to the Main Event slot. Personally, I'd be down as fuck for that. That fight deserved to be five rounds from the jump. I would get why some would see that as a cop out though with no true Main Event.

What do you guys think?

Should have been main to begin with. Put a wmma title fight as co main and call it a day

People love to hate Nate, but I love his fights. And I think Poirier is the kind of match up that guarantees fireworks against Diaz.

People love to hate Nate, but I love his fights. And I think Poirier is the kind of match up that guarantees fireworks against Diaz.
Yep, which is why this fight deserves 5 rounds. I don't see any way this fight sucks.

Yessss please we need a 5 round war from those 2... 3 rounds isn’t enough... plus we can see what kinda draw Nate is by himself

Israel vs Brunson
Yoel vs Costa
Jacare vs Branch
Teh Chris vs Rockhold II

and Nate vs Dustin...

That’s potentially card of the year right there but they won’t stop there because this is MSG.

I'm fine with it. It's not like I'm paying either way. But yeah, them being in a 5 rounder is better. I guess given their statuses, it would be a more appropriate ME for a free card, but it's all free to me. Lol.

Israel vs Brunson
Yoel vs Costa
Jacare vs Branch
Teh Chris vs Rockhold II

and Nate vs Dustin...

That’s potentially card of the year right there but they won’t stop there because this is MSG.

Yoel vs Costa is not happening. Yoel said he won't be ready in November.

All I know is, UFC still has Yoel vs. Costa listed on that card. Amateur hour in this organization.

How things change. We are way more excited for Dustin/Nate instead of Chris/Luke haha

Rogan said on the end of the UFC 228 PPV that they already have a main-event, it just needs to be finalized/announced. He seemed excited. First time i thought those Jon Jones rumours might actually be true.

Absolutely. It's the real main event no matter what happens.

ufc-202-mixed-martial-arts-54-390x285.jpg

PoirierPettis.jpg

Yoel vs Costa is not happening. Yoel said he won't be ready in November.

damn. Never heard this. That’s a significant blow to the card, now they really have to add another big fight.

agreed. if only because diaz-poirier should be 5 rounds.

Main event is Tank Abbott vs Artem Lobov for the interim openweight belt.

after all the speculation and hype they have to add a title fight at some point. rogan's comments on the 228 broadcast would seem to suggest they have something in mind.

After the severity of werdum's suspension I'm starting to doubt we'll see jones and I think the thumb issue could hold up woodley. don't really know what else could serve as a main? Shevchenko-Joanna? prolly not big enough. GSP? unlikely

With time running low on a Main Event announcement (I believe tickets pre sale go on in a week or two) the UFC is seemingly scrambling to come up with a Main Event for UFC 230. Not sure what direction they were looking toward but its still my opinion that they were hopeful for a Bones return, which was stupid to bank on.

Now the only option left seems to be Woodley vs. Covington. Woodley just fought, but he seemed open to the idea at the UFC 228 post fight presser. Since then it's been revealed he has ligament damage in his hand from bouncing it off of Till's face so many times. He said it may not be significant but we'll see.

Next option would be promoting the Co-Main Event between Nate Diaz and Dustin Poirier to the Main Event slot. Personally, I'd be down as fuck for that. That fight deserved to be five rounds from the jump. I would get why some would see that as a cop out though with no true Main Event.

What do you guys think?

I thought Diaz was one of the biggest draws in the UFC/world? Why wouldn't they make that the main?

Back