Would UFC fighters perform better if they got paid more?

Andrei Orlovski

UFC black belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Do you think if fighters didn't have to work at McDonald's to pay the bills they would have better cardio and better skills overall? If they were able to train full time and didn't have to work on the side?
You don't see NFL or NBA players working at KFC, they can focus on their career instead of worrying if they will be able to pay their rent.

Stipe would have become champ if he wasn't also a firefighter....

Current ones? No. But better money would attract better talent to mma.

Yes. Of course. They would be able to afford better PEDs.

Of course, it was so embarrassing when the HW champ was also a firefighter, not because being a firefighter is bad but for the fact that he actually had the time in the day to have another job while being the best fighter in the world. Imagine if Messi was also a full time policeman, the whole thing screamed bush league sport.

You don't see NFL or NBA players working at KFC, they can focus on their career instead of worrying if they will be able to pay their rent.

No we only see NFL or NBA players working at KFC once their careers are done.

You know....the ones that end up bankrupt within 5 years of retiring.

Here's Vin Baker. Made $100 million in his career. Now he works at Starbucks.

746b7815-e9d3-443b-b144-dc809c0a4597-large16x9_news150729586ar0taehnmliwkzv.jpg

It's a shame the NFL and NBA don't help these players ease into the transition to retirement.

Good question.

I think they would fight less.

Once someone is champ and making money, they all slow down and fight less.

Thus they would become worse fighters overall on average imo

No. People work harder to earn more pay. If you pay them more first, they actually work less.

If you want the fights to be more amazing, then you do what the UFC has done. Fighters who put on an amazing show get paid better. This gives hope to the lower performers that if they ratchet up their trash talk and throw down in the ring, win, lose, or draw they are rewarded.

That's not the way it has looked for the past few years with larger paydays..

If anything,

Instead of fighting once a year for a big pay day they could now wait two years in-between fights since they will be more financially stable...

No. When you pay a fighter too much money, they don't need to fight anymore. I mean we are talking millions. Anyone with 1/2 a brain would invest that kind of money into something that doesn't involve ending up punch drunk with CTE.

No. When you pay a fighter too much money, they don't need to fight anymore. I mean we are talking millions. Anyone with 1/2 a brain would invest that kind of money into something that doesn't involve ending up punch drunk with CTE.

That's mostly true.

Although fighters only have a certain window to make money on fighting.

Higher pay = Better fighters.
Lower pay = Mostly lesser fighters will fight. In other words, anyone desperate enough.

Of course, it was so embarrassing when the HW champ was also a firefighter, not because being a firefighter is bad but for the fact that he actually had the time in the day to have another job while being the best fighter in the world. Imagine if Messi was also a full time policeman, the whole thing screamed bush league sport.
he was a firefighter because he wanted to be one. he didn't do it because he had to.

he was a firefighter because he wanted to be one. he didn't do it because he had to.

This.

Stipe could have quit being a firefighter a long time ago.

He does it because he wants to help his community.

That's what we call a class act.

No we only see NFL or NBA players working at KFC once their careers are done.

You know....the ones that end up bankrupt within 5 years of retiring.

I hate the comparisons to NFL or any other sport.

They perform 16 times a year in a normal season.

Ie they are bringing in money more often.

Additional preseason and postseason possible.

UFC fighters want more money?

Either sell 1 million ppvs or fight at LEAST 6 times a year.

I know but you're missing my point, if he had enough time in the day to be a firefighter while also being the HW champ it just looks bad, a sport you can split your time with having another career, you think Messi or Lebron or Ronaldo have time to have another day job even if they wanted to?

I hate the comprisin to NFL or any other sport.

They perform 16 times a year in a normal season.

Additional preseason and postseason possible.

UFC fighters want more money?

Either sell 1 million ppvs or fight at LEAST 6 times a year.

not disagreeing with you at all.

I was simply responding to the TS statement concering NBA/NFL players.

They would fight even less that they do now tbh.

I know but you're missing my point, if he had enough time in the day to be a firefighter while also being the HW champ it just looks bad, a sport you can split your time with having another career, you think Messi or Lebron or Ronaldo have time to have another day job even if they wanted to?
you have no idea how much time stipe spends training or how it compares to other fighters or athletes. they all have off seasons and they all spend time in other interests.

Yes
Do you think if fighters didn't have to work at McDonald's to pay the bills they would have better cardio and better skills overall? If they were able to train full time and didn't have to work on the side?
. Simply because in footy terms or for a terms most are camping /parking the bus. Just trying to win on points. No risky moves and don't want to get injured. Best possible action ufc should do is when someone is in top 15 to be them.a salary. Of 100k.olus fight money so they can.paynfor medical bills.and there staffing. That the issue. They have no money to save and invest.

Back