Would the world be a better place if there was a significant decrease in population?

The Witcher

відродитися
@Silver
Reaction score
Approximately 7 billion people are currently alive in the world today, around 4 times as many people 100 years ago and 7 times as many 200 years ago. The data suggests that this number today is slightly declining. I ask the question, would it be better if we decreased the population by a significant amount over a long period of time? If yes, by how much?

I believe a reason why atrocities such as terrorism is getting more and more prominent is there are just too many people to manage. Obviously there are other reasons but less population = less atrocities. The counter argument could be made that terrorism and murder will still happen relevant to the number of people in the world but I disagree, I think it will be easier to identify or prevent atrocities from happening and stopping the culprits.

Atrocities have occurred since we were apes. Murder, war, rape etc is as much a part of our history as anything. Today these things are condemned (war a much more complex issue). A large decrease in population (billions) would mean less atrocities but would come at a cost, slower technological advancements and innovation.

I can see three ways population control could be achieved.

1) All countries in agreeance with each other that decreasing population or population control is a viable solution to the worlds problems. Wayyy more easier said than done. China already implemented it and they still have 1.4 billion people. Indians fuck like rabbits. The middle east wouldn't even consider it and muslims would actually like the idea of the rest of the world diminishing as they increase. Managing Africa would be near on impossible as well. So this is probably the most humane option but also the hardest to achieve.

2) A cataclysmic event such as meteors or a deadly virus that wipes out majority of people. A terrible scenario but a chance to reload, start again and unify. Manage population from the get go. This scenario seems the best way for population control to happen and I know its cynical to hold that view.

3) Mass genocide. Obvious no brainer that this is not the answer.

I feel like less people on earth would be a great improvement to the human race and to the earth itself. We have raped, pillaged, murdered and destroyed ourselves and the earth and its only a matter of time before we will have to answer for these atrocities. I hope we can come together with a solution sooner rather than later.

Feel free to correct me on any bullshit

Get out of the cities. That's where much of our problems are.

With out a doubt. Moabs for everybody !!!!

Like Bill Burr said the world would be great if there was only like 1 million people in it.

You could go to the Super Bowl every year. Possibly even play in it

As someone who just got back from San Francisco............yes x100,000,000^18

If we got rid of the Muslims, the blacks, the browns, and the Jews then we'd be ok.
ny9NpoR.gif

Problem is not overpopulation, but lack of quality population. You have low income and poorly educated section of society in the West breeding at twice the rate of your middle class families. Instead of discouraging that, we give them welfare to survive. Their kids will mostly grow up to be just like their parents, underemployed in low income jobs without higher education. Once those menial jobs get taken over by automation, we'd have a even bigger welfare dependent group to support.

It's the same thing with Africa and Middle East where they can't get their shit together. We provide food aid and money to prop them up. Famine, disease and conflict are nature's way of resource/population management. We're preventing that from happening. Instead of encouraging social darwinism and survival of the fittest, we're rewarding failures.

Problem is not overpopulation, but lack of quality population. You have low income and poorly educated section of society in the West breeding at twice the rate of your middle class families. Instead of discouraging that, we give them welfare to survive. Their kids will mostly grow up to be just like their parents, underemployed in low income jobs without higher education. Once those menial jobs get taken over by automation, we'd have a even bigger welfare dependent group to support.

It's the same thing with Africa and Middle East where they can't get their shit together. We provide food aid and money to prop them up. Famine, disease and conflict are nature's way of resource/population management. We're preventing that from happening. Instead of encouraging social darwinism and survival of the fittest, we're rewarding failures.
Decreasing population would solve all that shit.

Many men can't manifest his drive beyond the relative poverty he is born into. If you have a steep Gini coefficient this realization becomes that much more true, they then express themselves through violence. Those who are at the top, some of whom are the pathological love it like this because then they won't have any competition and can rule in bliss. They love nothing more to simply cut off any scaling of the ascension of the hierarchy they themselves rose to so no one can follow in their place. This is not everyone of course, if all thought or behaved like this society would've collapsed the world over very very quickly, but a few of them can deal great insidious damage. Those at the bottom are left to conquer the realm they inhabit, as they realize they are trapped in a state of purgatory of the ennui coated with the mucus of chaos.

ah yes, back to the smaller population days when less atrocities happened.

wait, when was that again?

Many men can't manifest his drive beyond the relative poverty he is born into. If you have a steep Gini coefficient this realization becomes that much more true, they then express themselves through violence. Those who are at the top, some of whom are the pathological love it like this because then they won't have any competition and can rule in bliss. They love nothing more to simply cut off any scaling of the ascension of the hierarchy they themselves rose to so no one can follow in their place. This is not everyone of course, if all thought or behaved like this society would've collapsed the world over very very quickly, but a few of them can deal great insidious damage. Those at the bottom are left to conquer the realm they inhabit, as they realize they are trapped in a state of purgatory of the ennui coated with the mucus of chaos.
Wow, very interesting post, not quite sure I followed it all though

Wow, very interesting post, not quite sure I followed it all though

New ideas take awhile to penetrate Mr Gilbert. Read it over as your dendrites gape, and all will flow inside eloquently. We must all migrate towards our prime selves.

If we got rid of the Muslims, the blacks, the browns, and the Jews then we'd be ok.

Lets not get crazy, getting rid of them in white countries would be enough. Make it very clear, if you cross this border without permission we will shoot to kill and deport you in a body bag.

Back