Would the UFC be more appealing without Reebok uniforms?

Your account is Pre-Reebok.

How is this even a question ?

I always liked bj’s black belt shorts
13C9A54C-8043-4215-859E-12748705810F.jpeg And vitTRTor shorts where recognizable
B102350D-4CC7-4B50-A74D-B78C312742B4.jpeg

The uniforms are, by and large, awful and look like typical reebok garbage. You can say they helped to make things look more professional but to say it helps make the UFC be more of a "legit sport" is laughable. I'm not totally against uniforms but I just think reebok was a bad choice and they proved this with all their goofs early on and just how terrible the uniforms looked initially. They have started to look a little better but not much. I think there are several brands that could have done a way better job than reebok.

I miss the old school uniforms. Iconic fights like Chuck and Tito, each sporting their looks. Anderson in his yellow VT shorts, Franklin sporting his brown and pink etc.

I always liked bj’s black belt shorts
View attachment 303661 And vitTRTor shorts where recognizable
View attachment 303663
My favorite was Cody McKenzie's generic shorts with the price tag still on them that herb dean ripped off mid fight.
121413-UFC-CodyMcKenzieShorts.vresize.1200.630.high.0.jpg

Helwani went OFF on this topic today on the mma beat

' Yes. Personality + sponsors make fighters more better, awesomer. They also get paid more better, awesomer. Then all happy. '
- Tze

This is cool...

22310.jpg

This, not so much...

dave-rickels-bellator-fight-shorts.jpg

7800766_orig.jpg

GOAT Clothes Era?

I'm starting my watch every ufc from 1 to now challenge...

You've been on this site longer than I have, surely you remember when like half the roster had "condom depot" plastered on their shorts, and most post-fight interviews were just guys rattling off their list of sponsors. It's been less money for some of the fighters, but definitely looks a little less crappy than tapout shorts with random advertisements on them for condom depot and full tilt poker.
I dont mind a Reebok sponsor deal with them all being required to have Reebok on their apparel on the side. However if you go the other way you had Chuck Liddell with his trademark Iceman shorts, Tito with his Punishment flames and eventually Anderson Silva had enough money to afford his own branding with his Spider shorts. Have to also remember they made MUCH less money then where putting sponsors on their apparel was mandatory to receive any money from that sponsor. I think maybe today a fighter can afford to have their own individual style IF THEY WANTED to with Reebok logo on the side or front or ass. Regulations of what kind of sponsors you put on your shorts would need to be in place of course. Reebok not allowing a fighter to wear a turban to the octagon or GSP in a Gi is ridiculous

This is cool...

22310.jpg

This, not so much...

dave-rickels-bellator-fight-shorts.jpg
Agreed. The over saturation of logos was gross especially when you have ridiculous sponsors. Though eventually a fighter like Silva and Jones were able to ditch them all after Nike sponsored them. Fighters back then needed that sponsor money in order to get through one training camp. Today I feel if there was a policy put into place that you can have any "design" on your trunks as long as the only word on them is Reebok. Id be cool with that.

Helwani went OFF on this topic today on the mma beat
sweet just checked it out. I agree with him. I feel a fighter should be able to be inventive and be allowed to create his own look as long as Reebok is the only word present on the trunks, Id be cool with that. The generic look of every single outfit on every fighter just sucks. For example if say Chuck Liddell still fought today if he removed every letter from his trunks except for "Reebok" or the Reebok logo and kept the blue and ice sickle style trucks that be great.

It couldn’t hurt. Everybody seems generic. Interchangeable. It’s like UFC on Ice. It seems silly but these things DO matter. To the fighter and the viewer.
Yeah, hell if Conor decided to wear white trunks with a flaming gold shamrock on both sides then more power to him, throw a Reebok logo on the back, done.

Back