Would it bother you if the UFC just bumped up each weight class to get rid of weight cutting?

Wont work because LHWs would have to move up to fight Overeen and Ngannou sized guys.

Too big a gap between the LHW limit and the HW limit

Okay, I'm with you now -- thanks for the explanation. Personally I'd find it more confusing to change the divisions than just shunt guys around. The divisional limits have remained stable for a long while but guys move around all the time, so I suppose it boils down to what I'm used to.

I've proposed this solution too and I think it would be fine. Heavyweight would go up to 285, LHW 225, MW 205, WW 185, LW 170, FW 155. BW 145. And get rid of everything else. The reason why I think it wouldn't be too confusing is that they'd emphasize the name "Light Heavyweight" instead of the actual weight number, and it would be understood that these are the same guys who used to cut to 205.

Wont work because LHWs would have to move up to fight Overeen and Ngannou sized guys.

I know what you're saying, but 225 is a LOT of body weight. If you weigh more than 225 pounds in fighting shape, you probably should be stuck at Heavyweight.

If it's a real problem, you can make LHW 230 pounds also.

Bump all the weight classes up by 10lbs at least.

Add 165, 175 & 195, making every weight class 10lbs apart.

Insist every fighter trains WITHIN the weight class they will fight in. Institute random weight checks during camp, with a 5lb allowance.

Weight cutting is cheating and should be treated as such.

Say they go the One FC route of no weight cutting. Would you be ok with LW being 170, WW being 185, MW being 205, LHW being 225-230? I could imagine it being very confusing. Because if they got rid of weight cutting it's all gonna be messed up. It will be better for the fighters health and we won't get these last minute pull outs. Just keep on weight through diet and be monitored. Should be simple enough. Weight cutting is an old wrestling technique. It's grueling and sucks but since everyone else does it, its the norm. It shouldnt be.
It would bother me if you stopped making shit threads. It would make me wonder if everything is allright at home.

Fighters would still cut weight. They always do and they always will.

I know what you're saying, but 225 is a LOT of body weight. If you weigh more than 225 pounds in fighting shape, you probably should be stuck at Heavyweight.

If it's a real problem, you can make LHW 230 pounds also.

There's a real big difference between 225 and 265. Even a solid 250 pound Stipe looked small next to Ngannou.

Guys like Gustaffson and Glover etc would get mauled at HW.

Remember when Maldonado ate about a hundred bombs from Glover and didn't go down and out? He fought Stipe, ate a 1-2 and was out in seconds.

Rumble is a beast of nature at 205... but he couldn't put Arlovski out with his best shots at HW. And we know Arlovski is called 'glass jaw' by HW standards.

There's a big difference dude.

Like you said there would at least have to be a buffer: perhaps Super LHW ar 230 would be a good idea.

All they have to do, as i mentioned on several posts is increase the weight at each class by 5lbs. That would make it so much easier on the fighters.

Say they go the One FC route of no weight cutting. Would you be ok with LW being 170, WW being 185, MW being 205, LHW being 225-230? I could imagine it being very confusing. Because if they got rid of weight cutting it's all gonna be messed up. It will be better for the fighters health and we won't get these last minute pull outs. Just keep on weight through diet and be monitored. Should be simple enough. Weight cutting is an old wrestling technique. It's grueling and sucks but since everyone else does it, its the norm. It shouldnt be.

Why do you hate Demetrious Johnson?
What did he do to you?

Lol? I don’t think you grasp the reasoning behind weight cutting. Bumping up weight classes won’t do shit, fighters will still cut the weight.

how does renaming the weight classes do anything? this might be the dumbest fucking thread I've ever seen

you can change LW to 170 but if khabib can still weigh in at 155, then he will still fight at 155 if he wants to. doesn't matter if you start calling it featherweight.

Sounds like some "raise the wages 2% and the prices 2%" shit.

How does this eliminate weight cutting?

A guy fights at bantamweight (135). We change the weight classes so flyweight is now 135. Wouldn't a guy just fight at flyweight?

Redefining the weight classes does nothing to stop weight cutting.

This thread's logic is what's confusing.

If they manage to implement a method to stop fighters from dehydrating, who cares if some/most fighters have to move up a weightclass.

At most I can see subtracting one weight class from the bottom due to and perhaps adding/adjusting the top end to accomodate a 250lb+ SHW, if there is enough talent to warrant that.

Last edited:
People would still cut. That's why one FC tests urine. They can do a gravity test and see how hydrated you are through your urine. It's quite simple really, if it' dark yellow almost orange, you're dehydrated. If it's a bright yellow, hydrated, if it's almost clear, you'e extremely hydrated.

And it's very simple to beat that test.

Fighters would just move down a weight-class.

Theres no way theyre going to get rid of weight cutting. Fighters either need to learn how to do it or fight at hw.

Fighters would just move down a weight-class.

Theres no way theyre going to get rid of weight cutting. Fighters either need to learn how to do it or fight at hw.

Blame fighters and remove USADA fighters will always cheat there is no use for USADA tbh. Same shit with weight cutting. It's not good logic.
Promotion should care about fighters and their health, less weight cutting, longer careers, better fights. Or every division will look like LHW, extreme weight cutting is quite new, just wait few years for results.

Just add a cruiserweight then

220 should do just fine

Back