Would getting caught sleeping at your workplace = fired?

WorldofWarcraft

Holy Paladin
Banned
Reaction score
If someone at your work got caught sleeping, would it be an automatic termination?

Suspension?

Write up?

Verbal warning?

elly_tran_ha_fitted_white_shirt_and_glasses_1.jpg

It depends. If I am sleeping on break, it would be fine. If I'm sleeping when I don't have a break than it could be bad. I think my boss would judge the circumstances.

on your break or lunch hour no, during work hours fired of course

I imagine a reprimand would be first then if it happened again I'd be canned.

I think if it was a 1 time deal and you had an excuse. Like you had a really rough weekend with sick kids and no sleep or something. Or if you were just run down and it happened once. I wouldn't get fired.
If it was happening a lot , then yes, that would be fireable offense. Depends on your job too. If you are a truck driver and falling asleep while driving you will probably be fired. If I work in IT and doze off while trying to write some code, then probably not.

Generally speaking at my level, you'd be talked to like a human for the most part and try to figure out what's going on in your life. Like maybe you should take the day off or go to the doctor. Falling asleep during a massive IT outage when you need to be actively troubleshooting is a different story probably (more stern repercussions and much less tolerance, unless you've been up active on shift for over 20 hours battling a problem).

Depends if you’re in a union or not.

Union steward here. Defended a lot of guys sleeping. Basically for us it comes down to if they can prove how long you were sleeping or not. If they simply wake you up with no proof of how long you were out you are usually ok maybe get a suspension. If they can prove you were out longer than your allotted break time you are fired unless you know someone. The go to excuse is you can say you were praying. (Bullshit I know)

I used to work in a shipyard years ago and one of the most useless, lazy people i've ever worked with was caught sleeping on the job, the manager caught him and sacked him without going through the correct procedures(on the spot pretty much) useless guy got the union involved and he got like 20k and his job back a few months later.

Ever work with Filipinos, them fuckers sleep all the time and If Im working along side them it would be rude not to sleep at work. Its some what excepted in my industry

I think if it was a 1 time deal and you had an excuse. Like you had a really rough weekend with sick kids and no sleep or something. Or if you were just run down and it happened once. I wouldn't get fired.
If it was happening a lot , then yes, that would be fireable offense. Depends on your job too. If you are a truck driver and falling asleep while driving you will probably be fired. If I work in IT and doze off while trying to write some code, then probably not.

If you are a truck driver and fall asleep at work you will likely die.

I've fired people for sleeping on the job before.

It was a night shift, so I'd usually cut them a little slack the first couple times, but this one person wouldn't stop doing it so I gave her an ultimatum. I said next time this happens, you're gone. There will be no more chances.

Took her a few months before she did it again, but when she did, I fired her. I feel like I was more than fair. I could've fired her after the 2nd time if I wanted to.

Fucking millennials. Sometimes i feel like I'm the first person in their entire lives to actually hold them accountable for their actions.

Generally speaking at my level, you'd be talked to like a human for the most part and try to figure out what's going on in your life. Like maybe you should take the day off or go to the doctor. Falling asleep during a massive IT outage when you need to be actively troubleshooting is a different story probably (more stern repercussions and much less tolerance, unless you've been up active on shift for over 20 hours battling a problem).

Agree 100%. My place would talk to you and find out if something is going on. Unless it's consistent failure to do your job. In which case there is more to it than just sleeping.

I knew a guy who worked at a group home and was paid to sleep.

I've caught machine operators sleeping on several occasions. The machines operates automatically or semi automatically but the operator is there to see any problems. Damage has been done when they don't notice something going wrong. Many functions had an alarm. Sitting in a control chair watching a machine run can be very boring. I did it for several years. It helps to keep it cool in the control room.

One of my first jobs was at a warehouse where I was allowed to sleep, as long as I answered the phone and took care of the few that came in to pick up items. They usually called in advance so I knew they were coming.

No. I'm too important to the company for them to fire me on the spot. They'd be fucking themselves.

Lol

I've had salesperaon at my work threaten to slit another's throat and nobody got fired

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back