Would be good for the UFC to have competition?

cyrusthevyrus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And not be a monopolis?

Too bad the other orgs (except Bellator) dont see a win-win from aggregating, and they lose fighters to the UFC where some are vanished.

ACB, Rizin, ONE FC, KSW, Deep, Pancrase, Bamma, M1 could merge together, they would gather some talent inside.

Yep, I pine for the days of Pride, Strikeforce, EliteXC, IFC, IFL, WEC, Cage Rage, Super Brawl, Icon, RITC, KOTC etc etc

All of whom had great fighters at one time or another and put on great fights

Probably, in some way, it would be good.

But for me, personally, I would just want everyone to fight for the same belt. More competition, more value for the belt.

Having the top talent spread around many different promotions means the top competition wouldn't be fighting each other or there will be alot of problems making matchups.

There should be one mma league where rankings are fair and matchups are based on those rankings. And fighters can't take time off to do other sports without risking losing their rank.

Having the top talent spread around many different promotions means the top competition wouldn't be fighting each other or there will be alot of problems making matchups.

There should be one mma league where rankings are fair and matchups are based on those rankings. And fighters can't take time off to do other sports without risking losing their rank.
yeah, but when that league has a bad management .... see UFC

MMA's whole system is flawed. You can't have promotion that also acts like a sanction body. That's what makes this issue complicated. We need a universal governing body where they will maintain the rankings & the belt while promoters will just promote nothing else. That's the only way MMA can gain some legitimacy as a sport.

P.S: In the current environment Fighters should not be signing exclusive deals with promotion.

I think the politics, pushing certain fighters, favoritism, USADA, and the WME way is going to push many many more good fighters to other organizations and will overall be good for MMA. I’d guess in 5 years the MMA landscape will have changed drastically, where the gap between the top UFC fighters and the other orgs won’t be quite as big. Regardless of if Rory beats or loses to Lima Bellator will have claim to the best 170 pounder on the planet.

MMA's whole system is flawed. You can't have promotion that also acts like a sanction body. That's what makes this issue complicated. We need a universal governing body where they will maintain the rankings & the belt while promoters will just promote nothing else. That's the only way MMA can gain some legitimacy as a sport.

the problem is UFC is not a well defined sport

the problem is UFC is not a well defined sport

Making & implementing a universal ruleset in MMA wouldn't be too hard but UFC will be heavily against such a body cause that could reduce their dominance in this market. Otherwise I think smaller promotions would have no problem implementing a Universal system. The Unified rules may have some limitations but it does a heck of a job to maintain a standard for MMA on US Soil. It can be opted out as the standard rule for the early operation of such a governing body.

Last edited:

P.S: In the current environment Fighters should not be signing exclusive deals with promotion.
tenor.gif

I'm sure the number one thing fans would want to see is a best of Bellator vs best of UFC tournament.

And not be a monopolis?

Too bad the other orgs (except Bellator) dont see a win-win from aggregating, and they lose fighters to the UFC where some are vanished.

ACB, Rizin, ONE FC, KSW, Deep, Pancrase, Bamma, M1 could merge together, they would gather some talent inside.

The sport is not deep enough to warrant multiple premier orgs.

It's the nature of individual sports, to be honest.

Ppl don't want to see the number 100 ranked fighter (yes ppl watch small shows but I mean large audiences).

Team sports are different. The is loyalty to the jersey, not the players. The dynamic is very different. The talent pool in popular team sports like Soccer and Basketball means there are hundreds of teams that are watched by fans with 1000's of athletes.

MMA has enough talent for 1-2 large orgs but the UFC has done a good job of buying out its comp.

While this may be true, the issue is that the UFC is what drove MMA popularity.
They invested a lot of money and time to create and promote a sport that is reasonably popular internationally today.

The athletic commissions didn't want a part of such a "brutal" sport in the early days.

The organic growth of MMA has been very different to other sports over the course of history and thus it acts differently in the way it is controlled and governed as a result.

I would like to see ring and Pride rules representative org such as Rizin on the big scene, and strong as a serious competition.

It is definitely not good for MMA that only American version with unified rules and cage prevail. I would like to see Japanese ring organization with stomps, kicks and knees on the ground, and different presentation, show and everything back to the big scene.

I belive that there are at least 2 different markets with large enugh fan bases and buying power to support major global MMA organizations, Japan and USA. Also prime times are tottaly opposite in those parts of the world, and that allows everybody to watch it in their optimal time.

There should also bee some kind of matches between champions, to determine who is the best in the world.

I don't know, it's annoying to have top fighters in smaller orgs and you can't know what they are really worth.

only time monopoly is acceptable are pro sports leagues. Dilution of talent is never good. I want all the best fighters competing in one banner

Not enough talent in UFC never mind other orgs.

Back