Would BCAA/Fish Oil break intemittent fasting?

*Edit* Whoop, just saw Seriously-Dead's post. I agree, Serious. I was unaware of the "fasting" window in question, here. I thought we were talking about the fasts that have been popular on this board in the past (that last 3+ days with the subject taking psyllium husk and the goal often being to "purify" the lower digestive tract). Nevertheless, I'm curious after reading your post, particularly in regards to your mention of "variability", how you would feel about fasts of this length?

Ah, okay. I see your logic now. Makes sense.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of 3+ day long fasts. Most intermittent fasting studies are done via alternate day fasting - one day of fasting followed by one day of eating ad libitum - and the results are consistent with the positive effects of calorie restriction (with less muscle loss). So I don't see the point of fasting for long periods of time. I would need to find a study that shows leptin/adiponectin/glucose/TF adaptations to prolonged fasting to make conclusions on long fasts, but I can't find any so I don't really know where the threshold lies. If you can get all the benefits in a 16-24 hour fast, I don't see the point of pushing it further.

I did recently read a study on a single case of an obese man fasting for 382 days with only marginally negative symptoms (some loss of bone mass, but not significant). So who knows, there could more to it - although for non-morbidly obese subjects I doubt it would be good. This kind of flies in the face of my variability theory, but the biological conditions of obesity followed by prolonged starvation might result in variable conditions, just over a very long span of time. This part of the paper might be of some interest for this discussion:

It has been shown (Naeye, 1969)
that hyperplasia and hypertrophy, not only of
adipose tissue, but also of heart, kidneys, pancreas,
liver and spleen occurs in obese subjects. It is suggested
that the increased [urinary] excretions described [electrolytes] may
have originated in dissolution of this soft tissue and
associated skeletal excess.

http://pmj.bmj.com/content/49/569/203.full.pdf

WTF? This is wildly inaccurate description of the condition (it is a chronic fluid buildup in the peritoneal cavity, caused by parasites and organ failure; nothing to do with gas). And I don't think famine-belly is a risk commonly associated with IF.

Your posts are terrible.

I have not heard of parasites causing Kwashiorkor. It is caused by protien and calorie deficiency. You are correct about the liver failure leading to the eventual fluid buildup. Just curious if you have any scientific evidence of the parasites?

I have not heard of parasites causing Kwashiorkor. It is caused by protien and calorie deficiency. You are correct about the liver failure leading to the eventual fluid buildup. Just curious if you have any scientific evidence of the parasites?

No, but I would guess said protein and calorie deficiency would likely be exacerbated by parasites. It's not like famine zones have abundant clean drinking water after all.

My point was it's not bad gas, and it doesn't come about from skipping breakfast.

Yea it would be damn near impossible to get from typical fasting. Maybe David Blaine can do that for his next physical feat and die. I just didnt know if you had some info I had not seen on the subject, its been about 5-6 years since I studied it in school.

Are the benefits of IF primarily in terms of long-term health and/or weight loss, or does it also aid strength/muscle building, and athletic performance?

Are the benefits of IF primarily in terms of long-term health and/or weight loss, or does it also aid strength/muscle building, and athletic performance?

It increases neuronal stress resistance and cortisol concentrations, so it's probably good for strength development. It's important to note when it increases plasma cortisol concentrations - during sleep. This is when you actually want high levels of cortisol, so it's gluconeogenic properties can aid in conjuction with nocturnal insulin upregulation. This helps process lactate and glycerol (the backbone of fat) into glucose, which is then transported into depleted muscle glycogen stores via insulin. Fasting also upregulates adiponectin and ghrelin, which are very important in increasing insulin sensitivity.

In simple terms, it primes the body quite well for glucose synthesis and absorption in muscle tissue, and does so in a non-inflamed state (since fasting upregulates the only three major anti-inflammatory hormones in the body - adiponectin, ghrelin and cortisol).

Technicalities aside, the very notion that constant feeding is necessary or even good for you shows a severe lack of understanding on how nature creates robust systems. Variability is a requirement for robustness. Exposure to variable conditions has shaped evolutionary processes since the beginning of life. To remove variable conditions, whether in the form of disease, allergens or bacterial exposure (ie: bubble kids) or in the form of feeding and fasting periods is to rob the body of the conditions in which it evolved. Conditions that the body requires to operate properly. This was most astutely observed in the advent of zoos. It used to be thought that cancer only existed in humans, but once we started putting animals in zoos, allowing them to eat ad libitum and live to old ages without being picked off by predators, we started seeing cancer in animals. Remove natural variability and you remove natural cellular function. It's no doubt that with the access to constant food, and therefore exposure to constant cellular growth, we've seen an explosion in cancer among all ages in our population.

These arguments are not logically coherent.

The fact that the human body evolved to deal with the possibility of periodically occurring period of hypocaloric nutrition (or even fasting) does not necessary mean they are ideal or necessary for it to function optimally. Similarly, it is quite possible that, during the human evolution, human populations had access to different food sources in different times of the year and at different times of the year may well have had limited amounts of some micronutrient or other; the fact that the body evolved to cope with this natural variability doesn't logically dictate that it is necessarily healthier than having a non-variable but micronutrient-complete diet year-round.

The argument that if the world had no pathogens you would be less healthy also doesn't follow as a necessary logical conclusion. Exposure to pathogens is preferable because it is necessary to develop your immune system to deal with the pathogens you may come in contact with in the future. In analogy to your "variability in diet" argument where you suggested living in a world where you could have an "ideal" diet year-round is lacking variability and would thus be somehow detrimental, if we lived in a world with no pathogens irl then exposure to pathogens wouldn't necessarily promote good health/proper physiological function. Also, where did you get the idea that allergens are beneficial for your health?

The similar line of thought about the "cancer in modern society as well as in zoos" falls to same same logical culprits. You are blaming the lack of diet variability, when there are so many other strong factors negatively affecting the normal physiological function (lack of normal activity patterns that are necessary for proper gene expression and physiological function, shitty food quality, psychological stressors, chemical stressors...). You are basically suggesting that if the zoo animals were fed with an intermittent fasting protocol according to "natural variation" that would improve their cancer rates. That's a baseless assertion as far as I'm concerned.

It's good to have you back, btw! :icon_chee

These arguments are not logically coherent.

The fact that the human body evolved to deal with the possibility of periodically occurring period of hypocaloric nutrition (or even fasting) does not necessary mean they are ideal or necessary for it to function optimally. Similarly, it is quite possible that, during the human evolution, human populations had access to different food sources in different times of the year and at different times of the year may well have had limited amounts of some micronutrient or other; the fact that the body evolved to cope with this natural variability doesn't logically dictate that it is necessarily healthier than having a non-variable but micronutrient-complete diet year-round.

The argument that if the world had no pathogens you would be less healthy also doesn't follow as a necessary logical conclusion. Exposure to pathogens is preferable because it is necessary to develop your immune system to deal with the pathogens you may come in contact with in the future. In analogy to your "variability in diet" argument where you suggested living in a world where you could have an "ideal" diet year-round is lacking variability and would thus be somehow detrimental, if we lived in a world with no pathogens irl then exposure to pathogens wouldn't necessarily promote good health/proper physiological function. Also, where did you get the idea that allergens are beneficial for your health?

The similar line of thought about the "cancer in modern society as well as in zoos" falls to same same logical culprits. You are blaming the lack of diet variability, when there are so many other strong factors negatively affecting the normal physiological function (lack of normal activity patterns that are necessary for proper gene expression and physiological function, shitty food quality, psychological stressors, chemical stressors...). You are basically suggesting that if the zoo animals were fed with an intermittent fasting protocol according to "natural variation" that would improve their cancer rates. That's a baseless assertion as far as I'm concerned.

It's good to have you back, btw! :icon_chee

It wouldn't be a welcome wagon without a thorough post from maiou!

My argument about variability comes from complex systems analysis. Variability being a precursor for robustness is based on mathematical models and natural observations. It applies not just to biological complex systems, but to economics, politics, moral development and a wide range of subjects. I adopted this from an economist, Nassim Taleb. I felt it is a good, simplistic representation of how biological systems become strong. It also falls along the definition of health used by some people - that health is a gradient, represented by the difference between the most you can do and the least you can do. Sounds vague and hippy-ish but sometimes that's how people get exposed to a different way of looking at the problem.

The pathogens and allergens stuff was just said tongue in cheek, so I'll skip over that and jump to the zoo comment.

I never denied that there were more problems than just feed timing with zoo animals. It's just one issue among many (namely longer lifespan from medical care). If you're looking for practical studies about CR and IF reducing cancer rates, look no further. There's already a huge body of evidence showing the benefits of CR for cancer prevention, so I'll just post links to a few about IF, since there aren't that many yet.

Adult-onset calorie restriction and fasting delay spontaneous tumorigenesis in p53-deficient mice

Effects of caloric restriction on cell proliferation in several tissues in mice: role of intermittent feeding

Weight-cycling decreases in... [Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Further, this just takes some knowledge on the cellular processes that occur while feeding. All feeding stimulates cancerous pathways and suppresses tumor inhibitors temporarily. Insulin, and other growth factors released during feeding, explicitly activate growth pathways and shut off DNA repair/apoptotic mechanisms.

Here's a list of pro-cancerous molecules that are upregulated through feeding:
Akt, PKA, CREB, mTor, Adenyl Cyclase, RAS, Bcl-2, CDK2

Those same molecules also inhibit anti-cancerous molecules (and vice versa):
p53, AMPk, Cytochrome C, Caspases, FOXO

There are two states: Cell growth and cell death/repair. Both are essential, but by constantly feeding, or feeding too much, you inhibit one side of that coin (the anti-cancer side). Likewise, by not feeding often enough or feeding too little you inhibit important growth processes and over-express molecules that promote cell death. I hope this post cleared up some questions.

The thing is, I didn't doubt that caloric restriction can have implications towards life extension. Whatever findings I've seen seem reliable and the theoretical background seems sound (i.e. "it makes sense"). I didn't doubt the plausibility of intermittent fasting having some effects either (I say plausibility because I'm not fully aware of the relevant literature but haven't seen something conclusively convincing yet regarding humans).

What I specifically questioned was the logic of the arguments in the paragraph I quoted. I like evolutionary biology hypotheses just as much as anyone else, but am irked when it often turns into this kind of post hoc attribution to whatever happens to be in mind.

...I also felt the need to welcome you somehow :)

Last edited:
You should look into Complex System analysis! I think it can give a person a solid intuitive base for biology (among other things). Before my health/bio obsession I used to do a lot of reading on game theory and history, so it appeals to my crazy theoretical urges.

Thanks for the welcome... this place would be way less interesting if I didn't have to always worry about someone (read: you) picking apart the things I say.

In simple terms, it primes the body quite well for glucose synthesis and absorption in muscle tissue, and does so in a non-inflamed state (since fasting upregulates the only three major anti-inflammatory hormones in the body - adiponectin, ghrelin and cortisol).

So are you saying that it ( controlled fasts) basically sets you up for anabolism in muscle tissue because of the increase in IS?

And maybe if you can answer this too, what is the optimal time for fasting? I've read that the benefits (increase in GH levels, glucagon, lipolysis, ect) peak at about 18-22 HRs. Any need to go past 24?

So are you saying that it ( controlled fasts) basically sets you up for anabolism in muscle tissue because of the increase in IS?

And maybe if you can answer this too, what is the optimal time for fasting? I've read that the benefits (increase in GH levels, glucagon, lipolysis, ect) peak at about 18-22 HRs. Any need to go past 24?

Anabolism means processes which require energy (endothermic), and for that reason I think it's absolutely retarded to think of the human body in terms of anabolism/catabolism. Some repairative/apoptotic pathways require just as much energy as the growth/replication pathways. Anabolism is a misnomer in the exercise community and shouldn't be used to describe muscle growth or the conditions that facilitate it.

If I could reword your question: Does intermittent fasting set up conditions that facilitate muscular glucose reabsorption? Yes. Does it increase the size of muscle fibers? The research isn't there to support that.

As for optimal fasting time, I don't think there is any conclusive evidence on ideal times. Most of the research is done on athletes during Ramadan and alternate day fasting in humans and animals, so drawing any conclusions outside of those specific circumstances is futile for the time being. FYI, Ramadan is most similar to a 18-20h fast + 4-6h feast.

Back