Would Ali have lost a rematch against Foreman?

I give Foreman a serious chance at winning a rematch in 76. He's a far better boxer than he gets credit, and learned from that night Zaire. Ali had no feet by 76, Foreman would fight smarter.

I would say yes. Ali took an epic beating in that fight. A guy can only take so much before the body says fuck you.

Ali said himself he didn't want to fight Foreman a 2nd time when Foreman was being trained under Gil Glancy... should tell you something

Foreman would fight smarter and that fight probably took so much out of Ali that Foreman might had won had he fought the same way he fought in the first fight

BTW, just looked it up to refresh my memory.

Foreman after 7 rounds had just managed a total of 3 rounds across the available 21 spots combined on the scorecards. One judge had him winning two rounds, another just 1, and the third completely shut out.

I had no idea about that, thanks for the info. I have only watched this fight twice, both times were over ten years ago, when I first got into el boxeo.

Ali was clearly winning the fight on points at the time of the stoppage. Not even close in my eyes.

This is something I repeatedly point out. People make it seem like it was a dramatic comeback. It was not. Not at all.

And fact of the matter the judges scorecards were ALL in favor of Ali at the time of the stoppage, and they should have been.

Pure boxing bullshit folklore that Ali was getting beat up and staged a comeback.

And I would take Ali in a rematch too.

People have a strange memory about his fight. It's as if the only punches they remember Ali landed were the ones at the end of the fight but he was punishing Foreman the whole fight

No need for rematch, esp that one. It was a mismatch in the end; and who would have thought.

It's been a while since I've watched the fight. I thought Ali belted Foreman for all 8 rounds. Foreman wasn't punching efficiently or landing clean. He didnt just wear himself out, Ali's pot-shotting played a major role in that.

Probably not.

I always say though, Young Foreman with Old Foreman's boxing IQ is the greatest heavyweight.

i think Ali would;ve lost if they had that rematch but Ali winning the first time was more than epic
no reason for rematches

also Ali should've retired after that match with Foreman

i think Ali would;ve lost if they had that rematch but Ali winning the first time was more than epic
no reason for rematches

I appreciate this post although I can't agree with it completely. 85 percent of me does, okay, 95 :wink:.

But yeah Ali was schooling Foreman from bell to bell. Perhaps we have an MMA situation here where people think foreman was winning because he was "moving forward" :)

The first time I watched that fight fully I was waiting for Ali to get into some trouble but I just saw a boxing clinic until he knocked him out.

Foreman is a great fighter but the only chance he has against Ali is if Ali is at the tail end, very beginning, or recently back from his outing of the sport. Besides those three time periods, Foreman has no chance.

The only think Cassius had to do was lay back and punish foreman. People like to say Ali was a boxer, a matador this and that but they forget that when it came down to it Ali was tough as a motherfucker and when he got angry he would put some beatings on people.

no reason for rematches

No way, he had a nice run after that, finished Ron Lyle and had a wonderful match with frazier,.

I appreciate this post although I can't agree with it completely. 85 percent of me does, okay, 95 :wink:.

But yeah Ali was schooling Foreman from bell to bell. Perhaps we have an MMA situation here where people think foreman was winning because he was "moving forward" :)

The first time I watched that fight fully I was waiting for Ali to get into some trouble but I just saw a boxing clinic until he knocked him out.

Foreman is a great fighter but the only chance he has against Ali is if Ali is at the tail end, very beginning, or recently back from his outing of the sport. Besides those three time periods, Foreman has no chance.

The only think Cassius had to do was lay back and punish foreman. People like to say Ali was a boxer, a matador this and that but they forget that when it came down to it Ali was tough as a motherfucker and when he got angry he would put some beatings on people.

If Ali was the greatest, why did he struggle against so many boxers?

Back