Would a UFC card with Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather main event become the new PPV buys record?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
First off I don't want to hear this fight is 'never' going to happen because people also said GSP was never going to return, Lesnar was never going to leave the WWE for the UFC, and that he'd also never return once he went back, and all 3 of these things happened.

Tyron Woodley says that he is training Floyd Mayweather for MMA. My bet is that it's for a superfight with Conor. I also think it's the reason Conor isn't fighting in the UFC right now. He doesn't want to lose a fight right before a fight with Floyd in the UFC costing him status and money.

Conor's got too much of an ego to play it safe with Floyd and go for an immediate TD like Couture did with Toney. Conor will want to stand and bang, perhaps maybe even forgoing kicks unless he has too. Floyd maybe confident in this fight because he knows Conor won't take it to the ground and wants to stand and bang and Mayweather may have felt Conor's power and believes that Conor can't hurt him boxing and that with 4 oz. gloves he can drop Conor.

Would a UFC card with Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather main event become the new PPV buys record?

If the McGregor vs. Floyd UFC superfight topped a stacked UFC card, how many buys would it do?

I think it would would become the new UFC PPV buys record.

You can't say you don't want hear something because it implies that you're not open to possibilities. Personally I don't think Floyd would do MMA but if he did, the PPV numbers would be high but the factor would be: do people wanna watch a one-sided beatdown? With Conor doing boxing it wasn't too much of a write off since Conor had experience with boxing to an extent but with MMA, Floyd has nothing apart from pure boxing which won't work in MMA as we know there's so much more to the sport that you sometimes have to give up a bit of an art to accomodate other skills. I do think it becomes the new PPV record as you have the star guy of one sport who's still rising up against the biggest guy in boxing for the past decade.

Who fuckin' cares.
Sherdog and their obsession with buy rates and numbers is a detriment to the sport.

Yes and anyone saying otherwise is clinically retarded.

Yes. Instantly. It might break the frigging boxing ppv. It would be the shit fest of the century.

It would break the UFC PPV record, but not the Boxing record

Certainly it would do at least 2x the UFC record
All-time? I don't see it
MayMac had boxing & MMA fans tuning in
I don't see a lot of Boxing fans buying an MMA fight

Oh most definitely. Regardless of what anyone personally thinks of either of them, to doubt that it would be the biggest UFC ever would be just plain stupid and wrong.

Increasing buy rates is a major factor in sport's growth.

& directly correlated to the reason why fights get made

I put it like this in an interview in 2017:

DR:
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with all these informative answers. How important do you think it is for an MMA fan to follow business metrics?

FNYC:
You are welcome. If a fan only wants to watch a UFC fight, then it is not important. If a fan wants to discuss why a fight was made and why is it on TV or PPV, etc., I think knowledge of the business reason behind it is imperative to the discussion. Combat sports are unique in the sense that they are truly “prize fighting”. So understanding why certain prizes are offered at certain times to certain fighters on certain platforms is key to understanding why decisions are made. But if you don’t participate in those discussions, just enjoy the sport.

Floyd is almost a billionaire. Why risk it? Floyd doesn't need another 100 million. Depends on his greed. Depends on his actual desire to compete in MMA.

Back