Worst teams for bandwagon fans?

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by ProBoxingInsidr, May 4, 2017.

1. ProBoxingInsidr Red Belt

ProBoxingInsidr
    A few years ago you could have counted Golden State Warriors fans on one hand. Now they have lifelong fans all over the country in the millions. What are some of the other teams in sports that get the most bandwagon fans?

- Seahawks in the past 5-6 years. Just like the Warriors. Had no fans at all, got good and all of a sudden they had more "diehard" fans than anyone.

- When the Packers got good during the Brett Favre days, they became really popular after being nothing for decades.

- Cowboys are probably the kings of bandwagon fans.

- Bulls during Jordan days and the Heat during Lebron days.

TheYoshiSlayer, TheNinja and tdluxon like this.
  2. lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

lts5025
    San Francisco Giants. They were never as unpopular as the Warriors, but the rise of the "gamer babe" is one of the worst things about their band wagon. These chicks in their pink SF caps, teeheeing over how cute Buster Posey or Brandon Crawford is. But you ask them about Will Clark or Matt Williams, they don't even know what position they played. Good luck explaining the infield fly rule to them. Watch any Giants home game, nearly half the crowd is female. Yes, I realize that I'm complaining about too many vaginas in one place.

3. Graverobber ******WTF Belt******

Graverobber
    oh man, totally agree.
    was a giants fan in the SEVENTIES ffs and the fanbase was shit, at candlestick no less. horrible.

but the new generation of giant fan is the worst , smarmy, SF specific manlet/nasty bitch shitbird I've ever seen
    and the local broadcast spends HUGE amounts of time looking at shitty, ugly fans.
    how about let us watch the fucking game?

lts5025 and TheNinja like this.
  4. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    Saw a shit ton of LA Kings fans back 4 years or so ago

Now you need a microscope to find them

5. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    This makes no sense at all.

TeTe, MikeEhrmantraut and Mga223 like this.
  6. Thunderhead Assman Extraordinaire

Thunderhead
    I was a Clippers fan long before Blake Griffin and CP3 came on board...

TheYoshiSlayer likes this.
  7. Gregolian .45 ACP

Gregolian
    I live in WA and I think it's less bandwagon with the Seahawks and more a ton of people finally got interested in football again after they got good 5-6 years ago. That stadium was always pretty full even during their shit years between Super Bowl 40 and now.

Bandwagon in football though for me is Steelers. Any time that team is even half decent suddenly there's 9000 people in Steeler colors. The Canucks are pretty bad too. They got super popular when they went to the Stanley Cup and then the Bruins took their souls and now you don't see shit for Canucks fans out here.

8. The Higher Power "IT'S ME, AUSTIN!!!"

The Higher Power
    Backstage, plotting with the Corporate Ministry.
    People who don't root for the same school in college football and college basketball.
    If we're just talking pro sports, you've got "that guy" who roots for the Lakers/Yankees/Cowboys or a similar combo. And yeah, Seahawks fans. "Who's Shaun Alexander?"

9. RedCansLoom16 "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

RedCansLoom16
    Ppl who refer to themselves as "the 12's". But yea even the non-bandwagon Seahawks fans are just weird in general.

10. Makani Tormund x Brienne Belt

Makani
    I think you can't really be called a bandwagon fan until you hop off. If your local team gets good for the first time and you get excited, that's good imo. If they then start sucking and you jump ship, then yeah, you're not a real fan. I mean, if you jumped on the Cowboys bandwagon in the early 90s, you've now been a Cowboy fan for almost 25 years. It's like calling someone a TUF noob. I find it's the sudden disloyalty more than the sudden loyalty that defines the bandwagoner.

Martian 2.0 and IngaVovchanchyn like this.
  11. ProBoxingInsidr Red Belt

ProBoxingInsidr
    i think you are confusing bandwagon fans with fair weather fans. if you live in washington, its ok to be a seahawks fan. but after they got good, they all of a sudden had fans all over the country when historically they were one of the least popular teams in the league nationally.

12. Gregolian .45 ACP

Gregolian
    Those fans were fucking Steeler fans, Panther fans, and now Falcan fans too though.

The biggest bandwagon fan group to me though is the New York Yankees and the way they try to paint that team as if they can do no wrong and it's fucking hilarious.

13. Shamrocker Purple Belt

Shamrocker
    Fuckin' Patriots "fans" are the worse.

TheYoshiSlayer likes this.
  14. BEER Resident Feminist

BEER
    I know the Golden State Warriors were your first example of choice, but they are the worst.

I used to work at a restaurant owned by a married couple from San Francisco, never discussed basketball at any point, even knowing I was a fan. Then they had their championship year and all of the sudden, they LOVE the Warriors.

If you call them out on it, they'll tell you about how they've been fans for decades, but couldn't even tell you who Monta Ellis is. They'll even ask me about basketball rules and how the playoff seeding works and shit. But in the next sentence, it's been "DECADES" of loving the Warriors.

IronMan374 likes this.
  15. Rico Franklin

Rico
    The Steelers are never not half decent, you goof. The Steelers fans around here are die hard as fuck and the whole tri state area shuts down during games.

What's it called when you're a fan of 11 teams at the same time so you can latch on to who's having the most success that season?

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    mmamxfan likes this.
  16. HereticBD Gold Belt

HereticBD
    Every single pro team residing in Florida.

Martian 2.0 likes this.
  17. tdluxon Black Belt

tdluxon
    As a long time gs warriors fan, I have to agree. A couple years ago, after 20+ years of futility, they could barely sell tickets and you could show up like 5 minutes before the game and get in for like $10. Now, a few years later, there are 23,000 people on the season ticket wait list, and tix are like $100 for nosebleeds, way more now that it's the playoffs. None of these people had ever even watched a game 5 years ago.

It's super lame because Oakland is a poor city in one of the wealthiest/most expensive parts of the country (the Bay Area) so wealthy people from the tech industry just swept in and bought up all the tix and the true, longtime fans can't even afford to go anymore. To top that, after years of futility in Oakland, the team finally gets good and immediately decides to bail on Oakland and move to San Francisco, where things are even more expensive and there are even more rich people.

18. Rimbaud82 Brown Belt

Rimbaud82
    In this country, most English soccer teams.

19. Terry Noonan Brown Belt

Terry Noonan
    NFL = Seahawks
    NBA = golden state warriors

TheYoshiSlayer and TKing like this.
  20. thedevious Everyone Is On PEDs Except Me

thedevious
    Maybe it's because I don't follow college sports too closely but I don't get why people get super invested in schools they didn't attend or don't have some kind of connection to (family, local school, etc.).

Otherwise I don't know why someone from PA, where I went to college, would give a fuck about Duke basketball or something, for example. Grew up watching them on TV for whatever reason, maybe? Idk

Plissken likes this.