Worst losses as a fan?

RedCansLoom16

"What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12
@Black
Reaction score
One month ago today the Falcons led 28-3 with about 2 mins left to go in the Superbowl. So in light of that what is the worst loss/losses you've experienced as a fan?

I'll go with one from each of the 4 major American sports.

The Tyree helmet catch is 1A. Still don't know how Eli wasn't sacked, but yea I wanted that 19-0 perfect season.

1B is the Boone walk off in 03. Could easily be #1 if things didn't happen the way they did in 04, but at the time that was a bad one.

3. Game 6 of the Hawks/Bruins series. Went from heading back to Chicago for game 7 to out in the snap of a finger. Brutal loss...

4. Game 7 of the Lakers/Celtics Finals, Lakers shot 21 FT's in the 4th quarter and the Celtics Big 3 only ends up with 1 Title instead of the 2 they probably should have had. KG's injury in 09 robbed everyone of Celtics/Lakers 3 straight years and that 09 team might have been their best.

Honorable mentions: Game 6 of the East Finals, Celtics led the Heat 3-2 and were at home and Lebron went OFF and then ended up winning his first title. Superbowl 46 another heart breaking loss to the Giants. The Manningham catch, the Welker drop...woof. Then the last one would be the choke job the Bruins had against the Flyers in 2010. Up 3-0 in the series, they blew that and were even up 3-0 in game 7 and blew that as well.

Webber time out against UNC in the NC game

1. 2000 AFC Championship game Oakland Raiders vs. Baltimore Ravens
Raiders were holding their own against the Ravens up until the D goes full retard and lets this horse faced fuck score a 96 yard TD.

If that weren't enough, this fat fucking piece of shit, Tony Siragusa, puts all of his 342 pounds on Rich Gannon and effectively ends the game.

This game made me ill. It was so much worse than the Super Bowl loss because this was their best chance to win the championship during that era. Both teams were certainly too much for the Giants.

2. 2002 World Series Game 6 San Francisco Giants vs. Anaheim Angels
Barry Bonds playing at his best and the whole team contributing. But that fucking stupid rally monkey and that late game 6 comeback denied the Giants the World Series clincher and the Angels went on the win in game 7. Felt bad that Barry Bonds never won a world series.

3. 2014 NCAA DI Men's National Championship Game - UConn Huskies vs. Kentucky Wildcats
60-54 Final Score and Kentucky shoots 13-24 FT. Seriously, make your fucking free throws and win the game. Shit!

4. 2001 Orange Bowl/BCS Championship - Oklahoma Sooners vs. Florida St. Seminoles
Sooners D kicking ass all night but Florida St. still in striking distance until this happens:

And this would be the last National Championship Title Game appearance until 2014.

2003 Fiesta Bowl vs. Ohio State

2012 European Cup final. It had been a brilliant season for us up to that point, we beat one of our biggest rivals away from home in the quarter finals (which wouldn't be as big a deal now, but at the time we hadn't beat them for a while), we beat Edinburgh in the semis to reach the final for the first time since 1999. We were playing another one of our big rivals, everyone was now cautiously optimistic....but in the end we got absolutely hammered. Was even worse because I was at it live, and it was held over in London so had to get a miserable bus back to the hotel afterwards.

And this one doesn't hurt so bad anymore since we beat them in the autumn there, but at the time it was absolutely brutal. Basically the All Blacks are far and away the most dominant international rugby team and have been for years (I am sure even americans know them). Well at the time Ireland had never beaten them in 108 years. It was a great match, the players played out of their skins, we were so close and then in the final minute this happens:

That wasn't a loss. That's like saying the 1972 Olympic basketball finals vs Russia was a tough loss

lol true

That trophy was basically stolen from the case.

Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS....
Week 17 2013 Bears vs Packers.... Lost the division because Chris Conte is a huge piece of fucking shit
2009 UF vs LSU.... Losing on a fake FG was brutal

2012 AFC Divisional game. Losing to the Ravens in double OT in a game that never should have been there in the first place.

Fuck Rahim Moore, always and forever.

2005 AFC Championship, getting taken to the bathroom stall by Big Rape sucked shit. Would have been a cakewalk SB win.

2013 SB, I checked out at halftime but it still sucked to completely waste that opportunity.

When we lost Derek Carr for the playoffs

1) SB 42
2) Pistons Spurs game 7 2005
3) SB 46
4) AFC Championship game 2006

SB 42 and 46 were terrible losses but losing them made 49 and 51 that much more cathartic and special.

The 09 SEC title game to Bama.
Not officially a "loss" but asshole Wayne Huizenga selling off the Marlins after winning the 97 World Series basically destroyed my baseball fanhood.
Losing to FSU in 96 made me cry but it ended up not mattering since we beat them in the rematch a few weeks later for the national title.
We blew a 10 point lead to Duke in the 94 Final Four but Arkansas probably would've hammered us again in the title game.

Edit: Dan Marino getting absolutely destroyed in his final game like 62-3.

Last edited:
Ravens losing to Pitt this year was bad

But losing to the pats 2 years ago in the playoffs up 14 points twice and giving up TDs on trick plays was the worst.

Ravens losing to Pitt this year was bad

But losing to the pats 2 years ago in the playoffs up 14 points twice and giving up TDs on trick plays was the worst.
It's funny, I used to hate the Ravens because Eddie George and Steve McNair were my favorite players after Marino retired and those fucks just owned the Titans for years. I cheered for them in the SB against Can Fran though.

2010 Iron Bowl. From the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in the span of about 3 and a half hours.

Back