Worst decision by judges in UFC history that you can remember?

Honestly watching Bisping Hendo II, I had a WTF moment at the end of the fight. Hendo looked like he had been doing some light cardio and Bisping looked like he had been in a car accident.

Then I remembered Hamill getting robbed against Bisping in London and it began to make sense...

Regardless of your opinion on how Bisping Hendo II played out, you have to understand that whilst Hendo scored with an impressive knock down he simply DID NOT DO ENOUGH to deserve victory. He hurt Bisping, sure, but he failed to finish him. And throughout the rest of the fight lost to Bisping in technical exchanges. For me, this is not a shocking decision. If you watch the re-watch the fight with a practical mindset you can understand how Hendo just did not do enough to warrant the W.

Definitely not the worse decision, but I believe Hendo would have won if Yves had done his job and let the judges know that the only blow that hurt Hendo was low. Yves predicable incompetence won Bisping the round and the fight as a result IMO.

Shoulda woulda coulda... all very convenient in hindsight

Hell, I'm not even sold on the value of takedowns. There are plenty of fighters that spam takedowns but do nothing with them yet they win the fight. If you have a takedown and advance position or do damage from top control, ok it has value, but taking a guy down and holding him there, how is that considered being worth points?

Well let's take your point from a reversed perspective.... if you're constantly being taken down during a fight and therefore unable to implement your own game plan how can that be considered anything other than losing? I appreciate the "lay n pray" style is not popular or entertaining, but if you find yourself the hapless victim of such a style you cannot place blame on your opponent for playing to their strengths and with the clear absence of any discernable grappling defense you just can not claim to be an elite martial artist.

You can be the best, most exciting striker in the world, but if you cannot defend a takedown or get up from the ground (i.e. implement your gameplan) you will never be an elite mixed martial artist.

As an MMA fan, I really think that if you don't appreciate the value of takedowns you should just stick to pretending to be a boxing fan, revising K-1 videos on youtube or just unashamedly sharing street fight videos on your facebook wall whilst surfing for trailer chicks on POF. Because MMA is clearly not for you.

Last edited:
Well let's take your point from a reversed perspective.... if you're constantly being taken down during a fight and therefore unable to implement your own game plan how can that be considered anything other than losing? I appreciate the "lay n pray" style is not popular or entertaining, but if you find yourself the hapless victim of such a style you cannot place blame on your opponent for playing to their strengths and with the clear absence of any discernable grappling defense you just can not claim to be an elite martial artist.

You can be the best, most exciting striker in the world, but if you cannot defend a takedown or get up from the ground (i.e. implement your gameplan) you will never be an elite mixed martial artist.

As an MMA fan, I really think that if you don't appreciate the value of takedowns you should just stick to pretending to be a boxing fan, revising K-1 videos on youtube or just unashamedly sharing street fight videos on your facebook wall whilst surfing for trailer chicks on POF. Because MMA is clearly not for you.

You misconstrued my comment. I am a fan of aggressive wrestlers, guys that pass and do damage , attempt to finish via sub etc.

Guys that move into guard and and lay on top to run the clock drive me nuts

You misconstrued my comment. I am a fan of aggressive wrestlers, guys that pass and do damage , attempt to finish via sub etc.

Guys that move into guard and and lay on top to run the clock drive me nuts

I'm always prepared to admit when I'm wrong, but with all due respect I don't think I have misconstrued your comment at all.

Firstly, I fully acknowledge your appreciation of the grappling aspect of MMA - especially in relation to the more aggressive areas of that style which are clearly more entertaining. However, my point was that (regardless of how entertaining or active the dominating fighter may be) if you can't defend yourself against a smothering wrestling style, you are simply not a true mixed martial artist.

You may or may not remember that there was a time when Joe Rogan himself was highly critical of the "ref's stand-up" rule. (When the top-control fighter isn't deemed to be active enough so the ref stands them up)... Joe would argue that the competitor on the bottom should do better to escape that position or stand the fight up via their own effective grappling defense and skilled counters... rather than simply lay there and wait for the ref to come to their aid. So whilst I obviously agree with you that the 'lay n pray' style is infuriatingly boring to watch, I am still inclined to favor Rogan's argument that the responsibility for neutralizing such a style lie in the skill set of the fighter and not the pressure on referee's to provide an entertaining bout.

Of course the 'lay n pray' style will never be aesthetically pleasing, but you have to understand Rogan's point of view and why many other fight fans agree. After all, in a real fight, no fucker is going to be standing at the side waiting to command the two dudes to stand up if it gets a little boring for the bystanders.

IMHO he won all of them... close, but he won...
Note: didn't rewatch, but that is how I remember it.

Rewatch it, all three were coin flips that went to the defending champ as is the unwritten norm.

Shogun took the last 2 clearly and because those would win if the fight wasn't judged as 5 seperate intervals.

Couture/Vera was a straight up robbery.

Even Randy Couture thought Vera won.

ufc_105_couture_vera_rd_2_knockdown.gif
right i remember Randy held him against the cage most of the fight.

Suggesting GSP vs Hendricks is a robbery just indicates either a complete lack of understanding of MMA scoring or a blind adherence to everything Rogan says.

Even ignoring the fact that Hendricks was roided and GSP was clean, it was a close fight at best with a first round that could very well be scored 10-10 (all other rounds were clear as day) and which two judges scored for GSP.

If you want to you can say this fight exposed the flaws of the scoring system but the fight was actually scored correctly under the rules in effect and which rules both fighters were aware of. Roidricks should not have coasted in the fifth relying on a first round which was a toss-up.
How do you know GSP was clean he left the company before USADA came in. Did you test his piss?Untitled-1-116.jpg
He should get PED tattoo on his right pec.

Last edited:
if you're constantly being taken down during a fight and therefore unable to implement your own game plan how can that be considered anything other than losing?

If the guy getting the takedowns doesn't do anything with them, then it's a draw IMO.

Rewatch it, all three were coin flips that went to the defending champ as is the unwritten norm.

Shogun took the last 2 clearly and because those would win if the fight wasn't judged as 5 seperate intervals.
I don't like unwritten norms....

I presume you are unaware about the voluntary extra testing Hendricks requested, GDP agreed to and completed, even though Hendricks backed out of the testing.

In addition to stating that Zahabi had misspoke about VADA’s sponsorship of St-Pierre, Beaulieu asked a series of questions about the WADA-accredited lab’s testing procedures, including what drugs were being tested for. It was a clusterf*** on both sides. Hendricks performed the normal UFC testing at that time because VADA was in bed with GSP. Why would GSP care what they tested for? Kind of suspicious, no?

In addition to stating that Zahabi had misspoke about VADA’s sponsorship of St-Pierre, Beaulieu asked a series of questions about the WADA-accredited lab’s testing procedures, including what drugs were being tested for. It was a clusterf*** on both sides. Hendricks performed the normal UFC testing at that time because VADA was in bed with GSP. Why would GSP care what they tested for? Kind of suspicious, no?

If my career earnings were at threat because of differences as to what is banned between the two systems I'd ask the question. Would be reckless to assume they have the same list of banned substances.

Was still a coin flip.
I don't know. I always go with my gut.
And I recall clearly that Rua won those rounds... Was close, but Rua was winning.
And believe me, I was rooting for Machida!

I don't know. I always go with my gut.
And I recall clearly that Rua won those rounds... Was close, but Rua was winning.
And believe me, I was rooting for Machida!

Rewatch it.
Regardless of the result it's a good fight

Back