Worst control scheme in a game. Your thoughts...

Resident Evil's tank controls. Fuck 'em to hell.

Devil May Cry always pissed me off, it was more the constantly shifting camera that fucked with your controls.

It pisses me off that the y axis is not inverted by default these days.

Don't know whether you'd class out as the control system, but I couldn't stand the combat in the original witcher.

I don't know about the dual analog era, but I can't remember ever being more frustrated with a game just not doing what the fuck I was telling it to do with my hands than I was with Shaq-Fu back in the day. It simply doesn't get worse than this.

135994-shaq-fu-genesis-front-cover.jpg

2364752-snes_shaqfu.jpg

The original Darksiders, was pretty ass backwards.

I also never liked how on the PS shooters, they used R2 as the trigger, instead of R1 most of the time. Not a deal breaker, but it just never felt natural to me.

Refresh my memory, what was wrong with Darksiders? I haven’t played it since it first came out in like February or March of 2010, so we’re getting close to 8 years now. I thought it was close to Ninja Gaiden 2 or Devil May Cry 4 on 360.

Refresh my memory, what was wrong with Darksiders? I haven’t played it since it first came out in like February or March of 2010, so we’re getting close to 8 years now. I thought it was close to Ninja Gaiden 2 or Devil May Cry 4 on 360.

The bumpers and triggers were all messed up, and they used the analog stick as the "lock on" button. It wasn't anything you couldn't get used to, but considering it was a basic third person action game, they went out of their way to make the controls unconventional.

The first real boss fight in the game is notoriously tough, simply because of how awkward the controls were.

Don't know whether you'd class out as the control system, but I couldn't stand the combat in the original witcher.
Agreed. It was pretty awful, but at least it was consistent in the scheme. So just a bad idea rather than bad execution, but I don't think this thread is demanding that distinction be made.

The bumpers and triggers were all messed up, and they used the analog stick as the "lock on" button. It wasn't anything you couldn't get used to, but considering it was a basic third person action game, they went out of their way to make the controls unconventional.

The first real boss fight in the game is notoriously tough, simply because of how awkward the controls were.

Was that the giant bat?

Was that the giant bat?

Yep, and it's mostly due to the "lock on" controls. I can't remember everything, but I know you have to grab a bomb, then you have to find him, and then lock on with the bomb, and hit him, all while he's throwing shit at you, and you're dodging with the other awkward controls. That's just to bring him down. He takes half your health, with projectiles, before you even get a shot to do some real damage. Then when he's on the ground, it's a new nightmare, but mostly because he's just a tough bastard. You can just cheese him with your flying blades, but it takes forever.

That guy is underrated, as far as tough early bosses go.

In my experience with stupid controls, most have been playstation, gt on ps3 x to accelerate when you have a trigger!! Killzone r3 to aim down sights wtf .. when i first played the uncharted games i was like grrrr took ages to adjust to the scheme..

Last but not least splinter cell, cant remember which but it was unplayable.

Any game that requires the infamous claw, fucking hand cramps.

PSP was full of them

I don't know about the dual analog era, but I can't remember ever being more frustrated with a game just not doing what the fuck I was telling it to do with my hands than I was with Shaq-Fu back in the day. It simply doesn't get worse than this.

2364752-snes_shaqfu.jpg
Getting a combo or special move to work was an act of god plus a ton of luck.

Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Both of them were all stylus controls, even to move Link. Made both unplayable and still the only Zelda games I haven't beaten to this day. It would have been fine to use it for certain parts but walking and attacking should have been done with button controls.

Most recently RE7 for me. Just bought it on the Halloween sale and still going through it, but Jesus fucking christ the controls suck.

Slow to aim, slow to manage your inventory with no pause system. Your character gets stuck on anything and everything in the background. You move slowly, even when sprinting. And every fucking monster takes approx 4 to 6 headshots to kill.

You can't even kite monsters to get around the bad controls, as moving too far from their spawn point causes them to respawn. So you have to fight every battle in a tiny fucking space.

I can't remember the last time I yelled at a game so much. Fuck you capcom.

2364752-snes_shaqfu.jpg
Don't particularly remember the control system being bad in that game, but the game was terrible in every other aspect so maybe it just didn't stand out.

2364752-snes_shaqfu.jpg

I am actually surprised there are people that played this POS. I vaguely recall the reviews for Shaq-Fu being horrendous... It wasn't even a game that was on my radar and when I saw the reviews on EGM I was like "yeah not surprised at all...).

The original Darksiders, was pretty ass backwards.

I also never liked how on the PS shooters, they used R2 as the trigger, instead of R1 most of the time. Not a deal breaker, but it just never felt natural to me.
I actually loved this could should faster with pistols, which is why I got so messed up when they changed it up on the PS4 for battlefield 4, I eventually got used to it, so when they actually gave the option to revert to the old way I never went back.

Back