Worst BJJ "Blackbelts" to ever compete in UFC.

Most dodgy "blackbelt".

• Total voters
I think he loses to Lovato Jr 9/10 times but I think it helps prove that he's obviously not one of the "worst BJJ blackbelts to EVER compete in the UFC". And I think it's a myth that his grappling never transitioned over to MMA, he just chose to use it in a much more positional and defensive route with it in the way he fought. Every single person who outgrappled machida is an absolute stud on the mat. He got swept once by mousasi (stud) and shogun (stud), mounted by weidman late in a 5 round fight after he gassed (Stud, who almost submitted Andre galvao in ADCC with less than a year of bjj), blanketed by Phil Davis (One of the best wrestlers in mma who grapple fucked Glover - ADCC champion), and then he was destroyed on the ground by Yoel (Olympic monster in his mma prime) and Luke Rockhold (best grappler in the division), who 90% of mma fighters would as well.

This Lyoto has no ground game thing is just weird for me because he used to be touted for his top control and positional grappling on this forum in his early ufc career and now people act like he's a white belt because he gets beat by world class grapplers. Does Glover belong on this list as well since he's an ADCC champion and doesn't show his ground game almost at all in mma ?
Not showing it has nothing to do with it bro. you have to have skill, and by that I mean, you have to know how to use it in MMA. guys like Jacare, Maia, these guys are absolutely on another level, we all know that, but why? they bring their skills over to the cage. you can be a black belt in BJJ all day long, but if you don't know how to control your opponent on the ground, work sweeps, guard passes, work for submissions, etc. you won't do good at all in a cage fight, hence guys like Vitor Belfort who is horrible at using his BJJ. remember the rockhold fight? what did Machida do? he gave his back up. you never do that in BJJ and every high level coach will teach you that. he turned and gave his back up, Luke flattened him out and got the RNC. there's just levels to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in MMA and obviously Machida is no Demian Maia... but he seems as if he doesn't know how to transition his skills to the cage.

spAT6JP.gif
You have that same exact gif in Jacare and Mousasi. Almost Comical how Vitor lost the same way 3 times in a row.

Didn't know Kimo was a bb.

Gotta be Shogun though - got guillotined in the first round by Chael frickin Sonnen.

Guillotine is a strength hold that can be highly enhanced with weapons-grade PEDs. And pre-injury Shogun outgrappled friggin Aronad

Alvin_Kid_Robinson.jpg

Alvin Robinson. Tapped out 3 times in his 4 UFC fights, with one unanimous decision over Jorge Gurgel, who could also be on this list after he decided he wanted to become a sloppy brawler and forget he was a 4th degree black belt; was also tapped by an Imanari heel hook while Imanari was much lighter and far more of a novice. Alvin was a massive bust though and has tapped in 6 of his 9 losses.

alvin robinson record.jpg

How is Vitor on the list. He did well at ADCC
The complaint for Vitor is how he allowed to be mounted or subbed (pretty much without a fight) by the likes of Weidman or Jon Jones the way he was.
I recall some pretty good BJJ practitioner being very vocal after his loss to Weidman claiming no Black belt should be that easy to be subbed.

LOL at Junior being second most voted.
I personally know his (old) trainer.
he knows BJJ pretty good. The problem is not his BJJ, it is his "boxer" mentality. He likes to box, so he does not stay on the ground.
That has nothing to do with his knowledge, just with who he is.

Yeah he lost his last 2 by submission to very talented grapplers and twice before that during his career to again very good grapplers.He's a bb under Royler Gracie for a reason,he didn't make a career out of getting subbed that's an exaggeration and has better straight bjj then most on the list.

So you can't name another black belt who's been subbed more?

So you can't name another black belt who's been subbed more?

There's been plenty i'm sure,do you know how many bjj bb's there are?Also this guy just posted this before your post,i'll quote him for your blind ass.There's people on the list with the same amount of sub losses vs WAAAY worse competition like Kimo and guys like Nam Phan lost his last 3 by sub and you're picking Camoes?You are also aware that bjj and mma are different things right?You obviously don't know shit.

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/fabricio-morango

Alvin_Kid_Robinson.jpg

Alvin Robinson. Tapped out 3 times in his 4 UFC fights, with one unanimous decision over Jorge Gurgel, who could also be on this list after he decided he wanted to become a sloppy brawler and forget he was a 4th degree black belt; was also tapped by an Imanari heel hook while Imanari was much lighter and far more of a novice. Alvin was a massive bust though and has tapped in 6 of his 9 losses.

View attachment 325439

Belfort

His offence is beautiful to watch

But his defence... the fuck is wrong with him?

All the gracies that Saku subbed with one move(kimura)...can't get more worst than that.

Anyone who gets submitted by Chael Sonnen should bring their bb back to their nearest mcdonald's for a refund

Travis Lutter was pretty wank wasn't he?

I only remember the silva fight, and only reason lutter tapped were because of the elbows. If it was not for the elbows, Anderson would still to this day be trying to put lutter to sleep. They would have been there all weekend

Andy Wang is actualy a legit BJJ Black belt.
IIRC he had a real competitive BJJ fight with Kron Gracie.
But when he takes of the gi and puts on the shorts and gloves he goes retard.
Andy Wang beat Jimmy Smith, the new UFC commentator, that was Jimmy Smith's only loss too. A lot of people make fun of Andy Wang, myself included sometimes but he wasn't that bad, just not UFC level. His problem was that he wouldn't take people down and tried to stand and bang with them.

Why in the world are Shogun and Diego on this list? Both had very good ground games in their prime.

Shogun out-grappled Lil Nog. He had good guard passes. Diego used to do great on the ground.

Vitor has a ground game too. When he first entered the UFC, his “black belt” was rubbish, but he’s legit now. He did almost tap Jones.
Weidman has a crazy good top game.

Also Rockhold did the same shit to Weidman. Doesn’t mean Weidman isn’t a great grappler.

Alvin_Kid_Robinson.jpg

View attachment 325439

Don't think you can count the submission due to punches. I always thought those should have been TKO losses.

Royce Gracie, all you need is blue belt today to do things he did back then

Diego Sanchez suck at ground game???? Goddamn this website is a mess

Edit: And 2 people actually voted for him... hahahaha
People don't see a ton of subs and assume the fighters bjj sucks.

JDS. It is not that common to see a top fighter in this era who is terrified of the clinch and ground game. I seriously think Carwin could have submitted him with a gilliotine from side control if it was not for the belt.

Back