Worst & best hands in UFC/MMA history

6t0peb.jpg

Both worst and best in the same gif
Maia outstruck Munoz

overeem hands are overrated as fuck, his boxing is shitty he has very very good kicks and knees

He explained what he was talking about. This thread isn’t about who the best striker is, but best hands.
Thanks for chiming in. Care to explain why you think Anderson Silva has horrible hands?

Thanks for chiming in. Care to explain why you think Anderson Silva has horrible hands?
I didn’t say he has bad hands. The other user did. Your response was circular and didn’t acknowledge his actual argument. Did you even read what he wrote? Why are you asking me?

No nothing personal, I just don't see it. You listed about 5 examples from roughly 50+ rounds he's fought in the UFC, most of them from fights he won. That's not my idea of a huge problem.

Just seems like you're really nitpicking here... he can't have the best hands because he threw some unsound hooks? Seriously?

Out of curiosity who would you vote for?

If it was about the best striker, Anderson no doubt. The best hands, I dont think so, maybe counterstriking but still not.
Against Franklin he relied on the thai clinch, against Bisping had problems outboxing him, and when he was forced in several fights to walk forward instead of waiting for the counter also showed his limitations...with his hands

Yeah he is. Because of his timing, footwork, headmovement and ability to read and anticipate as well as being a true 8 point striker who can finish with all of them. He's my all time favorite fighter.

All that however does not change the fact that he doesn't have the best hands, great straight punchs but absolutely horrible technique when throwing hooks. Wild, wreckless and over extended, you can see examples of what i'm talking about in almost everyone of his fights but the best example I can think of off the top of my head is in the Chael fights. The one he throws right before the slip in the 5th and the one he throws right before he grabs Chaels shorts in the 2nd round of the rematch and eats a huge right from Chael in the process.

There are also several examples in the Maia and Okami fights as well as when he got rocked by Cote cause he was so over extended on a hook Cote caught him in the back of the head.

I love Anderson dude but when he would throw his hooks I would always hold my breath.
A guy can be a great striker and not have good hands. People do not seem to understand this.

Barboza is another example of a great striker but mediocre hands.

We know Forrest Griffins hands have the respect of Roy Jones Jr...so that must be factored in

Overeem is a weird one. I believe he has some kind of damage to his right leg. If you watch him fight. He will change stances awkwardly without disguising it just to throw the left kick with no setup. His boxing is very basic and relies on catching the punches with big gloves then come with the counter

Shields doesn't have the worst striking ever but for someone most consider to be in the top 4-5 at WW all time, his punches are aweful.

Anderson definitely never had the best hands. He was a good straight puncher but he always scared the shit out of me when he would plant his feet and throw his incredibly wild sloppy hooks with his torso well over his center of gravity and his head wide open.

If I knew how to post gifs I would provide you with several examples of what I mean cause I don't feel I explained it well enough there to paint a mental picture for you.
When he's forced to lead he's pretty uneffective and looks sloppy (even his 1 2's look weird), he boxed so weirdly against Diaz and Weidman in the second fight but when his opponents let him counter his footwork, head movement and shot selection is probably second to none.

Stipe has gotta be up there. Throws his punches with 0 wind up all technique and precision, his boxing is fucking beautiful.

Masvidal is also up there, he has some of the slickest boxing you will see in mma. Same with JDS.

Since you said MMA, also think Moose deserves an Honorable mention.

Worst.. Pretty much 90% of wmma fighters, that dude they brought in to fight Artem when Diaz fought Conor was also notoriously fucking terrible at boxing. Ryan Hall has gotta be somewhere in the running as well. Lol

Back