Worst & best hands in UFC/MMA history

That is pretty bad, maybe Anderson's striking coaches weren't very articulate and tried to tell him to not always throw tight hooks so now Anderson throws sloppy hooks when he throws them long—still doesn't explain the weird unbalanced stance and stance switch.

Yeah I don't get it either cause he throws everything else pretty much textbook. My only explanation is that he throws them as a panic punch when he feels he is being pressured and wants to make some space again but it's a fucking dangerous gamble.

He doesn't throw them often when he's comfortable and in complete control accept for the Okami fight but I think he was just trying to smash him to piss off Chael, lol.

Drives me crazy when folks put their statement above the reply.

<24>

Those are two seperate quick counter right hooks that land... not sure what is horrible about that. It's not what you'd see in a boxing manual but it is highly effective MMA striking

Look at his body positioning dude, his feet are crossed and he's off balance. For a guy who's so crisp with everything else he throws this is an unexplainable anomaly and really his only flaw, but it's a big flaw.

Yeah I don't get it either cause he throws everything else pretty much textbook. My only explanation is that he throws them as a panic punch when he feels he is being pressured and wants to make some space again but it's a fucking dangerous gamble.

He doesn't throw them often when he's comfortable and in complete control accept for the Okami fight but I think he was just trying to smash him to piss off Chael, lol.

Right, I even edited my post and gave a more realistic take and different to the one I had prior, just to make sense of it, hadn't noticed this weirdness before.

It is probably a combination of reaction time handspeed, and nerves/panic, as well as distance management and attempts to reset rather than retention and comprehension of technique affecting his execution.

Right, I even edited my post and gave a more realistic take and different to the one I had prior, just to make sense of it, hadn't noticed this weirdness before.

It is probably a combination of reaction time handspeed, and nerves/panic, as well as distance management and attempts to reset rather than retention and comprehension of technique affecting his execution.

Yeah, it just looks so uncharacteristicly ugly for such a technician though, lol, it's weird.

Mark Hunt
Sergei Kharitonov
Aleksandr Emelianenko
Igor Vovchanchyn
Fedor Emelianenko
Junior Dos Santos
Andrei Arlovski

Look at his body positioning dude, his feet are crossed and he's off balance. For a guy who's so crisp with everything else he throws this is an unexplainable anomaly and really his only flaw, but it's a big flaw.

It's an opportunistic counter that presented itself, not a strike that he set up... he's one of literally a handful of guys to ever fight who could get some power on that shot even while switching stances, and one of the only guys to ever fight with quick enough reaction time to see the opening and quick enough hands to land it. That makes him bad because it's technically unsound? No, it makes him great because he is so good that he is beyond technical soundness. He routinely toyed with much more "technically sound" strikers because he was so quick and fluid that he could get away with doing all kinds of things that they teach lesser fighters to avoid, and could get power on punches where he seemingly had no leverage

I watched literally all of Anderson's fights, many multiple times, and I just can't really recall many of these supposedly sloppy hooks. I never really thought he was going to knock anyone out with them but I don't recall holding my breath because of how bad they were... nor did they seem like panic punches to me. They were always an ugly but effective tool he had, that he used opportunistically to disrupt a guy's timing or punctuate a combo

And again... why throw tight right hooks when you have such a devastating cross that will inevitably be quicker?

Last edited:
It's an opportunistic counter that presented itself, not a strike that he set up... he's one of literally a handful of guys to ever fight who could get some power on that shot even while switching stances, and one of the only guys to ever fight with quick enough reaction time to see the opening and quick enough hands to land it. That makes him bad because it's technically unsound? No, it makes him great because he is so good that he is beyond technical soundness. He routinely toyed with much more "technically sound" strikers because he was so quick and fluid that he could get away with doing all kinds of things that they teach lesser fighters to avoid, and could get power on punches where he seemingly had no leverage

I watched literally all of Anderson's fights, many multiple times, and I just can't really recall many of these supposedly sloppy hooks. I never really thought he was going to knock anyone out with them but I don't recall holding my breath because of how bad they were... nor did they seem like panic punches to me. They were always an ugly but effective tool he had, that he used opportunistically to disrupt a guy's timing or punctuate a combo

I have all but 1 of his fights on a flash drive and have also watched them mutiple times and can point you to multiple examples of it being a problem. Got him dropped against Bisping, hit in the back of the head and rocked by Cote, slipped and possibly also hit in the back of the head against Chael, Countered with a huge right hand against Chael, led to the bullrush and pushed to the ground against Belfort where he thankfully managed to dodge that bomb Vitor threw.

That's just from memory off the top of my head.

I'm not going to continue with this though because it seems despite me stating multiple times Anderson is my favorite fighter you seem to be taking this as an attack on him and an attempt to disparage him which renders this conversation an exercise in futility.

Nothing personal against you dude but I just don't have the energy to keep going in circles like this.

I have all but 1 of his fights on a flash drive and have also watched them mutiple times and can point you to multiple examples of it being a problem. Got him dropped against Bisping, hit in the back of the head and rocked by Cote, slipped and possibly also hit in the back of the head against Chael, Countered with a huge right hand against Chael, led to the bullrush and pushed to the ground against Belfort where he thankfully managed to dodge that bomb Vitor threw.

That's just from memory off the top of my head.

I'm not going to continue with this though because it seems despite me stating multiple times Anderson is my favorite fighter you seem to be taking this as an attack on him and an attempt to disparage him which renders this conversation an exercise in futility.

Nothing personal against you dude but I just don't have the energy to keep going in circles like this.

No nothing personal, I just don't see it. You listed about 5 examples from roughly 50+ rounds he's fought in the UFC, most of them from fights he won. That's not my idea of a huge problem.

Just seems like you're really nitpicking here... he can't have the best hands because he threw some unsound hooks? Seriously?

Out of curiosity who would you vote for?

No nothing personal, I just don't see it. You listed about 5 examples from roughly 50+ rounds he's fought in the UFC, most of them from fights he won. That's not my idea of a huge problem.

No I agree, it hasn't been a huge problem. Just a strange anomaly from such an otherwise technically perfect striker.

I'm going to go ahead and wager you will see what I'm talking about next time you're enjoying his catalogue of violence though. He usually got away with it but it's just always been strange to me seeing him doing something so uncharacteristicly sloppy.

Still didn't stop him from providing us with the greatest highlight reel in the history of the game though.

Mark Hunt, Overeem, Melvin Manhoef.
From a brutality stand point don frye, tank abott, vovchanchin and gilbert yvel.

Each to his own i guess but your logic seems flawed. He has a sloppy hook? Allright im not sure if thats true but even giving you the benefit of the doubt thats one punch. His speed, precision and timing were in a class all by himself.
His hands at his best were the best in the business. So what if he has one sloppy punch? He never relied on hooks or haymakers most of his KOs are by well placed straight punches with incredible precision. Thats the definition of "good hands".

Yeah he is. Because of his timing, footwork, headmovement and ability to read and anticipate as well as being a true 8 point striker who can finish with all of them. He's my all time favorite fighter.

All that however does not change the fact that he doesn't have the best hands, great straight punchs but absolutely horrible technique when throwing hooks. Wild, wreckless and over extended, you can see examples of what i'm talking about in almost everyone of his fights but the best example I can think of off the top of my head is in the Chael fights. The one he throws right before the slip in the 5th and the one he throws right before he grabs Chaels shorts in the 2nd round of the rematch and eats a huge right from Chael in the process.

There are also several examples in the Maia and Okami fights as well as when he got rocked by Cote cause he was so over extended on a hook Cote caught him in the back of the head.

I love Anderson dude but when he would throw his hooks I would always hold my breath.

Each to his own i guess but your logic seems flawed. He has a sloppy hook? Allright im not sure if thats true but even giving you the benefit of the doubt thats one punch. His speed, precision and timing were in a class all by himself.
His hands at his best were the best in the business. So what if he has one sloppy punch? He never relied on hooks or haymakers most of his KOs are by well placed straight punches with incredible precision. Thats the definition of "good hands".

Read the rest of my posts in this thread then get back to me if you want. I can't write all that again, lol.

Woodley with the best overhand right.

Woodley?? then you haven't seen Henderson. Look it up, a Legend.
Chuck Liddel up there with overhand right and cross.

Or you are talking only about active fighters, then dont mind this post.

lol fedor you serious? even the gif you provided show how shit his boxing technique is. wild punches and leave his chin completely open..

Back