World Leaders Facing New Realities (And Opportunities) with U.S. President Donald J. Trump

Trump Calls For U.K.'s Nigel Farage To Be Ambassador To The U.S.
By Frank Langfitt
November 22, 2016

farage_wide-36f40138556e64da4e242550c87192a1cc84d3ab-s800-c85.jpg

U.K. Independence Party leader Nigel Farage said he was surprised and flattered by U.S. President-elect Donald Trump's endorsement and said his critics were out of touch.

In a break with diplomatic protocol, U.S. President-elect Donald Trump has recommended that pro-Brexit politician Nigel Farage become the United Kingdom's ambassador in Washington, D.C.

In a tweet Monday night, Trump said: "Many people would like to see @Nigel_Farage represent Great Britain as their Ambassador to the United States. He would do a great job!"

The U.K. prime minister's office rejected the idea, pointing out that it already has an ambassador to the U.S., Sir Kim Darroch.

"There is no vacancy," a Downing Street spokesman said dryly.

The choice of ambassador is up to Prime Minister Theresa May. To have a foreign leader publicly lobby for his or her choice is extremely rare. BBC Radio London talk show host Vanessa Feltz likened Trump's recommendation to a father telling his unmarried daughter whom she should marry.

"It's not considered diplomatically appropriate," Feltz said on air Tuesday morning. "It's not good manners to say, 'Hey, you'll be sending us an ambassador and we want that guy, Farage.' It's like saying, 'You know, when you buy me a Christmas present, I want a pair of shoes from Gucci.' "

Tim Farron, leader of the Liberal Democrats, tweeted that appointing Farage was a "frankly stupid idea. I have more diplomacy in my little finger."

Farage, who heads the nationalist U.K. Independence Party, said he was surprised and flattered by the endorsement and that his critics were out of touch.

"I have known several of the Trump team for years and I am in a good position with the President-elect's support to help," Farage tweeted. "The world has changed. It's time that Downing Street did too."

In endorsing Farage, Trump is promoting a key architect of last June's Brexit referendum, which was widely seen as vote against immigration and globalization and for a white, British identity. Trump supported the U.K.'s decision to leave the European Union and during his presidential campaign called himself "Mr. Brexit."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-k-s-nigel-farage-to-be-ambassador-to-the-u-s

Last edited:
As May Woos Trump, Nigel Farage Is the ‘Ghost at the Tory Feast’
Timothy Ross
November 22, 2016

800x-1.jpg

Eighty miles from the embassies of London, an Italian restaurant in an English seaside town is an unlikely birthplace for a political feud that could define the transatlantic alliance between the U.K. and the U.S.

At La Magnolia in Ramsgate, in April last year, Theresa May’s most senior aide came face to face with Nigel Farage, her populist opponent who is now Donald Trump’s preferred choice to be the next British ambassador to Washington. The leader of the U.K. Independence Party was in town campaigning to get elected while Nick Timothy, now prime minister May’s joint chief of staff, was running the Conservative Party’s campaign to stop him.

Farage tried to break the ice with the Tories, according to people familiar with the encounter. As customers dined on grilled fish and pasta, he approached the table where Timothy and others were eating and tried to strike a conversation. But they bluntly rebuffed his attempt to be sociable and Farage walked away, recalled the people, who declined to be named discussing private events.

The episode illustrates the animosity between Farage and May’s team and underlines the difficulty the premier faces in fostering good relations with President-elect Trump. As May prepares to take the U.K. out of the European Union, the strength of the so-called special relationship between London and Washington is vital to her efforts to expand trade with the rest of the world.

Awkward Position

“Theresa May is in a terribly awkward position,” said Tim Bale, professor of politics at Queen Mary University of London. “She needs as many links with Donald Trump as she can get but Farage is a pretty toxic link and probably not one she really wants to play with.”

For his part, Farage is accustomed to the kind of frosty treatment he received at La Magnolia from senior Conservatives. For years, May’s predecessor as Tory leader, David Cameron, took the same approach.

But bluntly dismissing UKIP got Cameron nowhere. He called the party a bunch of “fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists,” and repeatedly refused Farage’s demand to hold a referendum on EU membership. That is until it became clear to Cameron that many in his own party passionately supported Farage’s Euroskeptic agenda.

In the months leading up to the 2015 general election, Cameron suffered two defections: first Douglas Carswell, then Mark Reckless ditched the Tories to join UKIP. Cameron was forced to promise an “in or out” referendum in his 2015 election manifesto. When he went on to win, Cameron had to make good on the pledge.

Tables Turned

But the tables were turned when Farage and his fellow Euroskeptics won the Brexit vote while Cameron’s government, which campaigned to stay in the EU, lost. May took over as prime minister, and Timothy - her longstanding adviser - found himself beside her in Number 10 Downing Street, running the country.

Then came another blow. Trump beat Hillary Clinton in yet another earthquake that thrust Farage back in the spotlight. Farage had campaigned alongside Trump, backing the Republican during rallies in the run-up to the U.S. elections. Trump told his supporters in the days before voting that he was going to “do a Brexit” and overthrow the establishment.

Farage became the first foreign politician to meet the President-elect. The two were photographed side by side, grinning against the backdrop of a gold-and-diamond door in Trump Tower in New York. Trump was giving the thumbs up. The UKIP chief was in this unique position thanks to his friendship with Trump and his entourage, including chief strategist Steve Bannon, and Jeff Sessions, the President-elect’s choice for attorney general.

May Sidelined

By contrast, the British prime minister appeared to have been outflanked. May had been critical of Trump’s comments about Islamist extremists in London and waited for more than a day after his election victory before getting through to Trump on the phone.

Keen to make up for lost time, May’s office announced Monday that the U.K. was considering inviting Trump for a prestigious state visit next year, during which he would stay with Queen Elizabeth II, and enjoy a Buckingham Palace banquet in his honor. He responded late at night on Twitter by saying Farage would be great as Britain’s man in Washington.

“I would do anything to help our national interest and to help cement ties with the incoming Anglophile administration,” Farage said in a article on the Breitbart website on Tuesday. “At every stage I am greeted by negative comments coming out of Downing Street,” he said. “The dislike of me, UKIP, and the referendum result is more important to them than what could be good for our country.”

South Thanet

After the restaurant stand-off last year, Timothy’s team of Conservatives won the battle in South Thanet, preventing Farage from being elected to the U.K. Parliament. But that was not the end of the story. Nineteen months later, the Conservatives are facing an investigation into claims -- which they deny -- that the party broke strict limits on how much money it could spend on campaigning in an individual electoral district.

If any wrongdoing is proven, there will be another vote in South Thanet. Farage has said he’ll stand as candidate, meaning May’s team will have to fight him all over again. The battle for South Thanet stands as a symbol of May’s difficulty in wrestling with populism.

“Farage has been a ghost at the Tory feast for getting on for a decade,” said Bale. “No Tory leader has yet found a way of dealing with him. Either you distance yourself completely or you try to move onto his territory but neither of those things seems to work.”

After the restaurant stand-off last year, Timothy’s team of Conservatives won the battle in South Thanet, preventing Farage from being elected to the U.K. Parliament. But that was not the end of the story. Nineteen months later, the Conservatives are facing an investigation into claims -- which they deny -- that the party broke strict limits on how much money it could spend on campaigning in an individual electoral district.

If any wrongdoing is proven, there will be another vote in South Thanet. Farage has said he’ll stand as candidate, meaning May’s team will have to fight him all over again. The battle for South Thanet stands as a symbol of May’s difficulty in wrestling with populism.

“Farage has been a ghost at the Tory feast for getting on for a decade,” said Bale. “No Tory leader has yet found a way of dealing with him. Either you distance yourself completely or you try to move onto his territory but neither of those things seems to work.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...p-nigel-farage-is-the-ghost-at-the-tory-feast

EU's chief Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt:
Trump, Putin and Erdogan a 'ring of autocrats' trying to destroy Europe

trumppoint-0.jpg

The EU's most senior Brexit negotiator has launched an extraordinary attack on Donald Trump, branding him an “autocrat” who wants to destroy Europe.

Guy Verhofstadt said President-elect Trump was one of a “ring of autocrats” alongside Vladimir Putin and Recep Tayyip Erdogan who threatened to encircle the continent, during a debate on EU and Turkey relations.

“Not only do they like each other, they also have one thing in common,” Mr Verhofstadt said. “Bashing and destroying our way of thinking, our values, our European liberal democracy.”

The former Belgian Prime Minister also referred to Mr Trump’s recent comments suggesting Nigel Farage should be appointed Britain's ambassador to the US.

Mr Trump said he would do a “great job” and that “many people” wanted to see Mr Farage take the role.

“Trump wants to play Her Majesty the Queen by appointing the British ambassadors,” Mr Verhofstadt said.

“So if Mr Farage was here, I would ask him is this ‘taking back control’? I think one clown in Washington is more than enough.”

Mr Verhofstadt also warned of a “fifth column”, active in Europe and made up of “cronies” of Mr Erdogan, Mr Putin and Mr Trump who he said were undermining Europe from within.

He described them as “old puppets of Putin and the new puppets of Trump” as he called on the continent to “fight back”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ey-europe-threat-guy-verhofstad-a7432206.html

Last edited:
i wonder how much of trumps meeting with abe was a "fuck china" party

BN-QW106_TRUMPA_J_20161117211049.jpg

@Arkain2K is an example of what it looks like when a news source isn't batshit crazy with left-wing bias.

@Arkain2K is an example of what it looks like when a news source isn't batshit crazy with left-wing bias.
This guy is hands down the greatest poster in the War Room.

Can we make him a mod already?

Seriously, if MSM were more like this guy, I wouldn't have been radicalized by the far right.

@Lead

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe after meeting:
"I am convinced Mr. Trump is a leader in whom I can have great confidence"
November 17, 2016

1479429003335.jpg

NEW YORK – Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe became the first world leader to meet President-elect Donald Trump on Thursday, seeking reassurances over the future of U.S.-Japan security and trade relations.

Abe met with Trump in New York, where the incoming president is working on setting up an administration after his surprise election victory last week that has injected new uncertainty into old U.S. alliances.

"I do believe that without confidence between the two nations (the) alliance would never function in the future and (after) the outcome of today's discussion I am convinced Mr. Trump is a leader in whom I can have great confidence," Abe said following the meeting.

Trump's campaign rhetoric caused consternation in many world capitals, including Tokyo. He has said he would demand that allies such as Japan and South Korea contribute more to the cost of basing U.S. troops in their countries.

Such comments have worried Japan at a time when the threat from North Korea is rising, and China is challenging the U.S.-led security status quo in the Pacific.

The State Department has said it had yet to hear from Trump's transition team, raising the prospect of the Republican holding the meeting with Abe without any input from career diplomats with deep experience dealing with Japan.

Both Japan and South Korea already pay considerable sums to support the U.S. bases, and note that it's also in America's strategic interest to deploy troops in the region.

Trump has suggested that Japan and South Korea could obtain their own nuclear weapons, rather than rely on U.S. deterrence, which risks triggering an atomic arms race in Northeast Asia.

South Korea currently pays more than $800 million a year -- about 50 percent of non-personnel costs of the U.S. military deployment on its soil -- and is paying $9.7 billion more for relocating U.S. military bases, according to the Congressional Research Service. Japan pays about $2 billion a year, about half of the cost of the stationing U.S. forces.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-great-confidence-in-trump-after-meeting.html

Last edited:
Pakistan says Trump declared its PM 'terrific' in call
December 1, 2016

c9e85035cced2a0b849abfb7edf7d9d8a69652dd.jpg.cf.webp
Islamabad (AFP) - Pakistan said Donald Trump praised its prime minister as a "terrific guy" and offered support for a "fantastic" country, in an effusive phone call that baffled many after sharp criticisms in the past.

The Pakistani government released the candid account, complete with Trump's trademark language, after Nawaz Sharif phoned the billionaire real estate mogul to congratulate him on his election victory.

The widely-circulated statement released late Wednesday caused surprise given the anti-Muslim rhetoric of the Trump campaign and the president-elect's past description of Pakistan as "not our friend".

It said Trump told the embattled Pakistani leader, currently embroiled in a corruption court case, that he has a "very good reputation".

"You are a terrific guy. You are doing amazing work which is visible in every way. I am looking forward to see you soon. As I am talking to you prime minister, I feel I am talking to a person I have known for long," it quoted Trump as saying.

"Your country is amazing with tremendous opportunities. Pakistanis are one of the most intelligent people," Trump said according to the statement, while also offering to help solve the nation's many challenges which include a violent insurgency.

"I am ready and willing to play any role that you want me to play to address and find solutions to the outstanding problems. It will be an honour and I will personally do it."

Trump has long been disdainful of Pakistan on social media.

On January 17, 2012, he tweeted: "Get it straight: Pakistan is not our friend. We've given them billions and billions of dollars, and what did we get? Betrayal and disrespect — and much worse. "

Pakistanis have also been suspicious of his relationship with arch-rival India.

- 'Zany' -

Pakistan heavily relies on US aid and is likely to get around $1 billion in economic and security assistance in the 2017 financial year.

Relations plummeted after it emerged in 2011 that the US had carried out a raid to kill Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, found hiding in Pakistan, without Islamabad's consent.

Trump's election has met with concern over what it could mean for aid commitments and bumpy diplomatic relations.

However, the government statement said Trump urged Sharif to call him "any time even before 20th January" when he takes power.

Trump also responded to an invitation to visit Pakistan by saying he would "love to come to a fantastic country, fantastic place of fantastic people", it said.

He would be the first US president to visit since George W. Bush during military leader Pervez Musharraf's rule in 2006. "His visit to Pakistan would be most welcome," a foreign ministry spokesman said Thursday. Pakistan "would like to strengthen ... the existing relationship further and we would like to continue working with the new administration when it takes over," he continued.

Some social media users appeared to welcome the phone call revelations.

"Fantastic diplomacy" wrote Pakistani journalist Waseem Abbasi, based in Washington, on Facebook.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pakistan-says-trump-declared-pm-terrific-call-063441875.html

A Subdued Vladimir Putin Calls for ‘Mutually Beneficial’ Ties With U.S.
By ANDREW HIGGINS
DECEMBER 1, 2016

02Russia-1480605926954-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg
MOSCOW — After a wave of euphoria among much of Russia’s political elite over the unexpected victory of Donald J. Trump, President Vladimir V. Putin on Thursday gave a more measured response in his annual state of the nation address, calling for cooperation with the new American administration but taking a veiled swipe at some of Mr. Trump’s statements on the campaign trail about nuclear weapons.

The Russian leader appeared remarkably subdued at what was widely seen as a moment of triumph for him, with his
popularity rising on a cresting wave of anti-establishment and often pro-Russian populism in Europe and America.

Speaking to an audience of political and economic barons in the ornate St. George’s Hall of the Great Kremlin Palace, Mr. Putin praised his compatriots for rallying around “patriotic values” and, counterintuitively, for eschewing the lure of populism.

He lamented that around the world, “even in the most seemingly affluent countries and stable regions, more and more fractures and conflicts on political, ethnic, religious and social grounds are rising.”

Those remarks had to surprise Western officials who have frequently accused the Kremlin of stirring up and supporting precisely those anti-establishment forces so as to sow disorder and weaken liberal democracies. Germany’s foreign intelligence chief, Bruno Kahl, warned in an interview published on Tuesday that Russia, seeking to create “political uncertainty,” was bombarding his country with disinformation ahead of elections next year.

Mr. Putin did not mention Mr. Trump by name, saying only that Russia wanted to work with the incoming United States administration “to normalize and begin to develop bilateral relations on an equal and mutually beneficial basis.”

His comments largely reprised the message he gave Mr. Trump in a telephone call soon after the Nov. 8 election, when both men agreed that something needed to be done to improve “the absolutely unsatisfactory state of bilateral relations.”

In a departure from his speeches in recent years, Mr. Putin avoided sarcastic or downright angry comments about the United States. But he also made clear that Russia demanded to be treated as a global power, not the “regional power” that Mr. Obama described it as in 2014, infuriating Moscow.

“We have a joint responsibility for the provision of international security and stability, for the strengthening of anti-proliferation regimes,” Mr. Putin said, referring to efforts to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons.

During the presidential campaign, Mr. Trump suggested that more countries should acquire nuclear weapons so that they can defend themselves without Washington’s help. He also threatened to dismantle the international agreement that limits Iran’s nuclear program.

In another apparent reference to Mr. Trump’s campaign statements on nuclear weapons policy, which included assertions that the American arsenal had “fallen way behind” Russia’s and needed to catch up, Mr. Putin warned against any attempt by Washington to disrupt what he called the balance of nuclear firepower between the two countries.

“I would like to emphasize that attempts to break strategic parity are extremely dangerous and can lead to a global catastrophe,” Mr. Putin said. “This must not be forgotten for a single second.”

Mr. Putin’s mixing of pointed reminders of Russia’s status as a nuclear power with a measured expression of hope for an end to the current deep chill in relations with Washington contrasted sharply with the unalloyed glee expressed by many Russian politicians and commentators after Mr. Trump’s election victory. In the run-up to the election, state-controlled news outlets cast Hillary Clinton as a Russophobic hawk and warmonger while Mr. Trump was presented as the candidate who would bring a new and sunny dawn to relations between Washington and Moscow.

Syria and the importance of fighting Islamic extremism are areas in which Mr. Putin’s interests and Mr. Trump’s statements seem to coincide. Mr. Putin, who has repeatedly accused the Obama administration of mollycoddling extremists, said the United States needed to focus on “a real rather than dreamt-up threat” and join Russia in fighting international terrorism.

The “dreamt-up” threat seemed to refer to fear in Washington and many European capitals that Russia has become a menace to security since it seized Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and supported pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine.

Ignoring American efforts to destroy the Islamic State, Mr. Putin said the problem of international terrorism “is being solved by our servicemen in Syria,” where Russian warplanes have helped President Bashar al-Assad regain control of large sections of Aleppo, once Syria’s biggest city, from rebels, some of whom are supported by the United States.

A new foreign policy doctrine signed by Mr. Putin on Thursday underscored the problems with Russia’s relations with the West and set a high bar for any swift easing of tensions. The doctrine, a summary of how Moscow sees the world and what it wants, stressed the gravity of “the serious crisis between Russia and the West” and blamed this on “geopolitical expansion” by NATO and the European Union. It said Russia and the United States could work together only on the basis of “equality, mutual respect for interests and noninterference in the internal affairs of each other.”

Insisting that Russia does “not accept any attempts to organize pressure, either military, political, economic or of any other kind,” the policy doctrine said Moscow “reserves the right to react hard to unfriendly actions, including through the strengthening of national defense and the taking of reciprocal or asymmetrical measures.”

Most of Mr. Putin’s hourlong speech, however, was devoted to domestic issues, not foreign relations. He acknowledged that two years of economic decline had brought great hardship but insisted this had only made the country stronger, and he focused on sectors of the economy that he said have done well, like agriculture and high-tech.

While proposing no significant reforms to revive Russia’s sluggish economy — which shrank by 3.7 percent last year and has contracted further this year, though at a much slower pace — Mr. Putin said he had ordered the government to work out a “substantive action plan” to ensure that Russia achieves higher growth rates than elsewhere by 2020 and elevates its position in the global economy.

Russia’s economy ranks around 13th in the world, on the basis of its gross domestic product, behind countries like Australia, Canada and South Korea

What shape such an economic development plan might take has been the object of bitter feuding between more liberal members of the government, who favor privatization, and those who want the state to keep control of crucial industries. The liberal camp suffered a major setback earlier this month with the late-night arrest on murky corruption charges of one of the country’s main economic policy makers, Aleksei Ulyukaev, a liberal stalwart who had served until his arrest as minister of economic development.

Mr. Putin said parliamentary elections in Russia in September, which delivered a resounding victory to his United Russia party, had “proven that we live in a healthy society that is confident in its fair demands, in which immunity to populism and demagoguery is growing stronger and the importance of mutual support, solidarity and unity are highly valued.”
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/world/europe/vladimir-putin-us-russia.html?_r=0&referer=

France:

394D8D6F00000578-3919428-image-a-74_1478690415210.jpg

French president François Hollande
said Trump’s win “opens up a period of uncertainty” that “must be faced with lucidity and clarity”.

Hollande congratulated Trump “as is natural between two heads of state”, but showed little enthusiasm. Hollande had openly endorsed Clinton. “Certain positions taken by Donald Trump during the American campaign must be confronted with the values and interests we share with the United States,” he said.

“What is at stake is peace, the fight against terrorism, the situation in the Middle East. It is economic relations and the preservation of the planet.”

Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said European politicians should heed the message from Trump votes. “There is a part of our electorate that feels …abandoned”, including people who feel “left behind by globalisation,” he said.

Ayrault pledged to work with Trump, but said his personality 'raised questions'.

He admitted to being unsure what a Trump presidency would mean for key foreign policy challenges, from climate change and the West's nuclear deal with Iran to the war in Syria.

France set to follow in the footsteps of Brexit, Trump with shift to the right
By Antonella Artuso, Toronto Sun
Saturday, December 03, 2016

1297904877840_ORIGINAL.jpg
As the world still tries to absorb the lessons of Brexit and the election of Donald Trump, France’s spring election promises to set a new direction for that country.

The decision of remarkably unpopular President Francois Hollande not to run again, and the unexpected rise of Francois Fillon as the presidential candidate for the Republicans, have raised speculation that the country is ready to move to the right of the political spectrum.

Right, maybe. But not far right, not Marine Le Pen right, experts say.

“Basically the trend is Le Pen has to be beaten and Fillon is the right guy to do it,” said Ferry de Kerckhove, Senior Fellow with the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs at the University of Ottawa. “The French have been absolutely profoundly disappointed by the presidency of Francois Hollande. The socialist dream hasn’t paid off. The French economy hasn’t gone up. The terrorists haven’t been beaten.”

But while Le Pen is vowing a crack down on immigration and the protection of the country’s social safety net, the Shield, Margaret Thatcher-fan Fillon is focused on bringing more free market sensibilities to the French economy.

In fact, Nicolas Sarkozy, the former French president that Fillon beat out, would have been to his right, de Kerckhove said.

Dr. Anthony Wall, Professor of French and Francophone Studies at the University of Calgary, said the Republicans opted for a distinctly right-wing candidate thinking – falsely, as it turned out – that the centre of the political spectrum would be occupied by the disliked Hollande.

“They are certainly not the same type of reasons that analysts have given for Brexit and Donald Trump,” Wall said. “François Fillon is anything but a populist candidate and he has not in the least triumphed on a populist platform.

“On the contrary, he has clearly stated that he wishes to dig deeply into France’s public sector in a way that France has never seen before,” he said.

Le Pen’s Front National was surprised and unhappy with Fillon’s strong showing, he said.

Of course, Hollande’s departure now opens up the potential for a more centrist left-centre candidate.

De Kerckhove said he believes that the right-wing Fillon is the clear frontrunner in the spring presidential campaign, and that France is very unlikely to put the anti-free trade, far right Le Pen in charge.

“I may be wrong but my sense is we’ve reached the limit of the French moving full steam to the right because — I don’t question the fact that the immigration issue is playing out, that the anti-Muslim stuff, the assimilation, all of that plays out — but my sense is at the end of the day, they’ll feel more comfortable getting a guy like Fillon who’s sufficiently on the right side but at the same time has experience of government and will hopefully provide for a better growth of the economy,” de Kerckhove said.
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/0...steps-of-brexit-trump-with-shift-to-the-right

Last edited:
Italy:

037A2538000003E8-3919428-Italian_Prime_Minister_Matteo_Renzi_was_one_of_the_few_world_lea-a-14_1478718943219.jpg

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, who had openly supported Hillary Clinton, congratulated Donald Trump on his victory in the US presidential elections and said Italy's ties with the United States remained strong.

'I wish him well. The Italo-American friendship is solid,' Renzi said at the start of a speech in Rome.

Renzi was one of the few world leaders to endorse Clinton and opposition politicians were swift to condemn him.

“It’s a new political fact that along with other things demonstrates that we are in a new stage,” Renzi said. “Who would say that Trump would win? It is that way and we respect it, we will cooperate with the new American president and have a relationship between the EU and Italy.”

'Trump effect' topples Italy's PM – and could shake Europe further in 2017
By Peter Ford, Staff writer
December 5, 2016

1017111_1_1205-opopulism_standard.jpg
Prime Minister Renzi resigned after Italians rejected his constitutional reforms. Experts attribute that in part to Donald Trump's election – which could upend elections in France, Germany, and the Netherlands next.

Rome — In Italy, a coalition of opposition parties earned an unexpectedly convincing victory Sunday over Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi in a referendum, defeating his plans for constitutional reform and forcing him to resign.

But more importantly, it could fuel the prospect of a Europe-wide political earthquake that could upend the continent’s post-World War II political order.

Many observers are blaming the “Trump effect.”

“Donald Trump’s victory has the effect of making voting for a complete rupture less dramatic” for Europeans, says Dominique Reynié, who heads FondaPol, a center-right think tank in Paris. “Nowhere in Europe now can a leader be sure of re-election.”

The EU’s internationalist ideals are in danger of foundering on the rock of nativist sentiment, bolstered by fear of Islamist terrorism and uncontrolled globalization. As voters prepare to go to the polls in France, the Netherlands, and Germany next year to choose new governments, the rising anti-establishment mood would be familiar to Americans.
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Euro...y-s-PM-and-could-shake-Europe-further-in-2017

Last edited:
What a difference 2016 makes: Viral pic shows doomed Western leaders together
December 05, 2016

1480965355999.jpg
What a difference 2016 makes.

With Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi the latest political casualty of the populist wave surging across Europe and the United States, a photograph from April is going viral that shows just how much the political situation in the West has changed in just a few tumultuous months.

The White House photo (shown above), taken in April at a G5 Summit in Hannover, Germany, shows Renzi along with President Obama, former British Prime Minister David Cameron, French President François Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

That clique is all but gone.

Renzi said Sunday he intends to resign after a referendum on constitutional reforms he had backed was soundly defeated. Renzi had said he would resign if the referendum failed, turning the vote into a question on Renzi and the Italian political establishment as a whole.

Cameron resigned in July after Britain voted to leave the European Union, and was replaced by current Prime Minister Theresa May. Cameron had campaigned for Britain to remain in the E.U.

In France, Hollande announced last week he would not seek re-election in the French presidential elections in April -- the first president to do so since the creation of the French Fifth Republic in 1958. Hollande’s approval rating stands at just 4 percent amid a spiraling refugee crisis and a high unemployment rate. Hollande is likely to be succeeded by either Republican Party candidate François Fillon or the National Front’s Marine Le Pen. The French left-wing has yet to choose a candidate, but experts say whoever is chosen will face an uphill climb.

President Obama will see out his full two terms in office, but his preferred successor – fellow Democrat Hillary Clinton – was beaten by Republican Donald Trump, who is expected to seek to undo much of Obama’s legacy. Obama also had backed Renzi’s constitutional reform when Renzi visited the White House in October, as well as Cameron's push for Britain to remain in the E.U.

On Monday, the White House downplayed the significance of the developments in Europe.

"I would warn against painting with an overly broad brush about the potential consequences of this outcome [in Italy]," Press Secretary Josh Earnest said. "There certainly is a not entirely unreasonable tendency to want to loop together the outcome in the U.K. and even the outcome of the U.S. presidential election with this outcome, but each of these is ... different."

Of the five leaders, only Merkel’s position remains relatively secure for now. However, the chancellor still faces a tough battle to keep hold of her job for a fourth term in late 2017. While many analysts expect her to ultimately win, Merkel’s approval ratings have dropped sharply throughout 2016 in part as a result of her open-door policy for Syrian refugees. She faces stiff opposition from the populist, right-wing Alternative for Germany (AfD) party.

Should Merkel lose, it would mean none of the leaders in the April picture will hold office this time next year.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ic-shows-doomed-western-leaders-together.html

Last edited:
NATO, Russia, Merkel, Brexit:
Trump unleashes broadsides on Europe

AFP
January 16, 2017​

Berlin (AFP) - NATO is "obsolete", Germany's Angela Merkel made a "catastrophic mistake" on refugees, Brexit will be "great" and the US could cut a deal with Russia: Donald Trump unleashed a volley of broadsides in interviews with European media.

Five days before his inauguration as the 45th President of the United States, the billionaire populist let loose a torrent of controversial comments about European allies in interviews with British newspaper The Times and Germany's Bild.

He extended a hand to Russia, which has been hit by a string of sanctions under his predecessor Barack Obama over Moscow's involvement in Ukraine, the Syrian war and for alleged cyber attacks to influence the US election.

"Let's see if we can make some good deals with Russia," Trump said in remarks carried by The Times.

The US president-elect suggested a deal in which nuclear arsenals would be reduced and sanctions against Moscow would be eased, but gave no details.
"Russia's hurting very badly right now because of sanctions, but I think something can happen that a lot of people are gonna benefit," said the president-elect, who has previously expressed admiration for Russian leader Vladimir Putin.

Washington's European allies imposed sanctions against Russia over Ukraine in 2014. Those measures were renewed on December 19.

- NATO 'obsolete' -

In comments set to cause further consternation among eastern European NATO countries nervous about Moscow following Russia's annexation of Crimea and involvement in Ukraine, Trump said NATO was "obsolete".

"I said a long time ago that NATO had problems," Trump told The Times of London and Bild, Germany's biggest-selling daily.

"Number one, it was obsolete, because it was designed many, many years ago," he said.

"Number two, the countries aren’t paying what they’re supposed to pay."

On the campaign trail, Trump said he would think twice about helping NATO allies if the United States were not "reasonably reimbursed" for the costs of defending them.

After Trump's victory, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said the alliance had been a bedrock of transatlantic security for "almost 70 years" and was especially needed at a time of new challenges.

Spending has been a common source of friction within the 28-nation alliance over recent years.

The core military contributor to the alliance is the United States, which accounts for about 70 percent of spending.

In 2014, stung into action by Russia's intervention in Ukraine, upheaval in the Middle East and North Africa, NATO leaders agreed to reverse years of defence cuts and devote the equivalent of two percent of economic output to defence.

"The countries aren’t paying their fair share so we’re supposed to protect countries," Trump said in Sunday's interview.

"There's five countries that are paying what they’re supposed to. Five. It's not much."

- 'Great' Brexit -
In other remarks, Trump said Brexit "is going to end up as a great thing" and said he backed a trade deal with post-EU Britain, which would be "good for both sides."

"We’re gonna work very hard to get it done quickly and done properly," said Trump, confirming he will meet British Prime Minister Theresa May soon after his inauguration on January 20.

The pound took a hit Monday in early Asian trade after Britain said it might undercut the EU economically if it cannot obtain both single market access and immigration controls, with British media warning of a so-called "hard Brexit".

"Other countries will leave" the European Union in future, Trump prophesied, largely due to the pressure the bloc was put under following a significant uptick in migrants and refugees arriving.

"If they hadn't been forced to take in all of the refugees, so many, with all the problems that it... entails, I think that you wouldn't have a Brexit. This was the final straw that broke the camel’s back," he said.

Trump also criticised Merkel for letting Germany admit undocumented migrants enter the country, insinuating that this posed a security risk.

"I think she made one very catastrophic mistake and that was taking all of these illegals, you know taking all of the people from wherever they come from. And nobody even knows where they come from," Trump said, adding he had "great respect" for the chancellor.

Merkel took flak at home after her open-door policy aimed at desperate Syrian refugees brought 890,000 asylum seekers to Europe's biggest economy in 2015, contributing to the rise of an anti-migrant movement.

But in 2016, that figure dropped back sharply, to 280,000 arrivals the government said last Wednesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-labels-nato-obsolete-newspaper-interview-223436534.html

Last edited:
The EU are gonna love this, I already saw Donald Tusk pontificating on BBC news about isolationism, nationalism and populism.

Fuck the EU, I hope Trump tells them where to stick it at the US-EU summit.

The coming trade/tax/tariff war sure looks to benefit every consumer on both sides of the pond... NOT

Love it how BMW told him to fuck of. His comments on American car sales in Europe was pretty fucking funny though.

Donald Trump plans new deal for Britain as Theresa May becomes first foreign leader to meet new president since inauguration
Christopher Hope, Chief Political Correspondent, in Washington
Ben Riley-Smith, Assistant Political Editor

21 January 2017

150ED23C00000514-4142172-image-a-25_1484958176203.jpg

Donald Trump is planning a new deal for Britain this week as Theresa May becomes the first foreign leader to meet him since the inauguration.

With hundreds of thousands of people across the world protesting his presidency, Mr Trump’s team was working with Number 10 to finalise plans for White House talks.

Mr Trump has even taken to calling Mrs May “my Maggie” in reference to the close Thatcher-Reagan relationship he wants to recreate, according to sources.

The historic trip comes as:
  • A deal to reduce barriers between American and British banks through a new “passporting” system was being considered by Mr Trump’s team
  • A US-UK “working group” was being prepared to identify barriers to trade and scope out a future trade deal
  • A joint statement on defence was expected to demand EU countries spend 2 per cent of GDP on defence and promise collaboration in tackling Isil
The new relationship - which comes with both countries redefining their roles in the world - is due to be cemented with a state visit for Mr Trump in the summer.

The US President’s team has made clear he wants a “full Monty” visit that will eclipse the trips of his predecessors in pomp and ceremony.

New 'passporting deal' considered

The Telegraph has talked to more than a dozen ministers and senior aides both sides of the Atlantic about what is planned for the historic talks and the new US-UK relationship.

Mr Trump’s team was said to be considering a “passporting deal” which would allow British and American firms to set up and trade in each other’s countries with minimum regulatory hurdles.

At present, British banks have a passporting deal with European Union – which mean British banks can carry out financial services anywhere in the 28 member states under one set of regulations.

The EU has threatened to strip Britain of these rights when it leaves, and some experts fear this could see billions of pounds of finance lost to rival cities such as Paris or Frankfurt.

Any UK-US deal on passporting could form part of a new trade deal which some have said could be agreed in just 90 days once Britain has left the EU.

One source close to Mr Trump said any passporting deal “would form part of the discussions, it will be on the agenda” at the first meeting between Mrs May and Mr Trump. The source added that “promoting Anglo-American capitalism is in both their interests”.

A British minister on Saturday night said they would be open to the idea, adding that “any trade liberalisation is welcome”.

Trump calls May 'my Maggie' in private

One associate of Mr Trump in Washington told The Telegraph that Mr Trump has taken to calling Mrs May “my Maggie” in private.

The associate said the special relationship is “back, front and centre on a scale not seen since Maggie.”

The only question which is yet to be answered is whether Mrs May can warm to Mr Trump. The friend added: “She is 'my Maggie' but is he a Ronnie to her?”

In his first telephone call with Mrs May in the hours after he became President in November, Mr Trump talked of his hope of reviving the close UK-US relationship that existed in the 1980s.

Last month Sir Kim Darroch, Britain’s ambassador to Washington, said the pair had stressed that the special relationship between the UK and US was “stronger than ever”.

He said: “In their phone calls so far, Trump and British Prime Minister Theresa May have made clear that the special relationship between Britain and the United States is stronger than ever.

“They will work together closely, building on the legacy of previous leaders such as President Reagan and Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-new-deal-britain-theresa-may-becomes-first/

This is my biggest concern. Watching foreign leaders decide that they maybe, just maybe, don't need us. We go from being the world leader to just another nation. That's a tremendous problem because we can't regain this lost status. We only have this status because of WWII and there's no other way to create a similar hegemony on the horizon.

I really don't think people realize just how much of our global dominance is predicated on the untested belief that we're needed to keep the world running smoothly. If other countries can go it without us then we lose tons of leverage.

We keep the peace in a lot of places. Just look at Asia. Japan/Korea/China make for a turbulent triangle, but the US and our bases have kept everyone in check.

British Alignment With Trump Threatens European Order
By MAX FISHER
JAN. 26, 2017

27int-britain-master768.jpg

Prime Minister Theresa May of Britain arriving at Philadelphia International Airport on Thursday for her two-day visit to the United States. She will be the first world leader to meet with President Trump.

LONDON — As American allies across Europe and Asia brace for President Trump, Britain stands out for the degree to which it is proceeding as if little has changed.

The country, consumed with managing “Brexit” and its associated domestic political dramas, appears to have taken relatively few steps to prepare for the geopolitical earthquakes that Mr. Trump could bring to the international and European orders on which Britain relies, and that his proposals would undermine.

“The people at the top of our system, whether they’re politicians or officials or journalists or think tankers like me, we’re all totally focused on Brexit,” said Charles Grant, who heads the London-based Center for European Reform. “We haven’t thought about Trump as much as we should have.”

It is possible that Prime Minister Theresa May, by throwing in her lot with Mr. Trump, could ride out any changes to the international order. But if that approach does not succeed, it could have severe consequences both for her nation and for the world that Britain plays a role in keeping together.

Crumbling Pillars
Mrs. May has sought to win over Mr. Trump, whom she will visit this week, just as her European counterparts are exploring more fundamental questions about American reliability.

“The British debate on Trump is over very trivial stuff, like who Trump spoke to before May, and the German debate is over the future of the liberal order in the West,” said Mark Leonard, the director of the London-based European Council on Foreign Relations.

Frank-Walter Steinmeier, the German foreign minister, wrote in a column this week for the German newspaper Bild that, with Mr. Trump’s election, “the old world of the 20th century is gone” and that Germany could confront drastic changes.

François Hollande, the French president, said last month that Mr. Trump’s election “opens a period of uncertainty.”

British leaders, Mr. Leonard said, have not accepted the view, growing in other European governments, “that our prosperity and security are based on an international architecture that’s now being threatened.”

“There’s an assumption that’s all going to remain,” he continued.

Since Britain’s decline from a global power in the years just after World War II, the country’s foreign policy has rested on two pillars.

First is the American-British partnership, which allows Britain to project its power and safeguard its interests globally. Second is European unity, which is essential for Britain’s economic prosperity and, by removing the centuries-old diversions of European conflict, frees up Britain to act on the world stage.

But both of those pillars could now be crumbling under the strain of European populism, Russian resurgence and particularly Mr. Trump’s threats to step away from Europe.

A Difficult Choice

Britain’s challenge is not just that each of those elements is coming under strain. Mr. Trump’s avowed opposition to the European Union has put them in direct conflict.

For instance, Mr. Trump offered to reward Britain’s exit from the European Union with a speedy trade deal. But this risks encouraging more exits from the bloc and possibly its disintegration. The resulting turmoil on the Continent, which includes several top British trading partners, could risk harming Britain’s economy far more than an American trade deal would help.

Mr. Trump’s proposed alignment with Russia poses a similar quandary. Germany and other leading European powers oppose such a realignment, which they fear would open the way for Russia to dominate Eastern Europe, breaking the Continent’s unity on security matters.

Mrs. May remains hawkish on Russia. But it is unclear whether she would oppose Mr. Trump on the matter, particularly as she more fully ties her fate to the alliance.

“If America eases up on Russia, Britain will be under heavy pressure to pick the United States, not to side with Merkel,” said Robin Niblett, the director of Chatham House, a London-based think tank, referring to Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany.

Mrs. May is increasingly focused on maintaining the alliance with the United States, the world’s largest economy and military power.

Whereas leaders such as Ms. Merkel have responded sharply to criticism from Mr. Trump, Mrs. May has been more forgiving. For example, she overlooked Mr. Trump’s decision to meet with Nigel Farage, a former leader of the fringe U.K. Independence Party, before speaking with her.

‘There Isn’t a Plan B’
Even if Mrs. May succeeds in upholding the alliance, it is unclear that her government is preparing for the range of more seismic changes that Mr. Trump’s election and other events could bring.

Jeremy Shapiro, an American and the research director for the European Council on Foreign Relations, said he had struggled to convince British officials that the old order is “eroding all around them.”

Mr. Shapiro paraphrased the “dominant” British view of Mr. Trump as, “We didn’t want him, but pressures of the presidency, checks and balances, our expert tutelage will socialize him, and it’ll be O.K.”

British hopes, he added, often rest on Senator John McCain’s persuading of Mr. Trump to drop his controversial plans and revert to traditional positions such as upholding European unity.

Mr. Shapiro said he had been unable to convince British officials that Mr. McCain, whom Mr. Trump has publicly mocked, was an unlikely savior.

Lawrence Freedman, emeritus professor of war studies at King’s College London, said there was a simple reason that British leaders never seemed to discuss their backup plan should they fail to moderate Mr. Trump.

“There isn’t a Plan B,” he said. Preparing for life without American support, British leaders worry, could send the message that the United States can safely withdraw, risking exactly the outcome Britain wishes to avoid.

“This has always been the problem,” Mr. Freedman said, because it leaves Britain unprepared for a situation that could be deeply destabilizing — much as it failed to prepare for Brexit.

Britain’s ‘Solipsistic Moment’

Brexit has focused attention inward, on day-to-day political dramas and on the countless challenges of negotiating Britain’s exit from the European Union.

“We’re going through a very solipsistic moment,” Mr. Leonard said. This has led the British to behave “as if the only independent variable is Britain leaving the E.U. and the manner in which it’s done.”

This is shaping British foreign policy in other ways.

“There’s always going to be a question of whether we’re better off using our political capital to advance the international security order or to try to get a good trade deal,” Mr. Leonard said.

Britain’s party politics also distract.

Mrs. May is only barely holding together the governing Conservative Party, leaving her overwhelmingly focused on managing divisions that are mostly about Brexit and migration. Both she and her foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, have spent their careers focused on domestic issues.

The opposition Labour Party is riven by its own divisions. Its leader, Jeremy Corbyn, tends to be skeptical toward Britain’s global role.

As a result, there are no major voices in British politics who have an interest, either ideological or political, in addressing the country’s foreign policy challenges.

Narrowing Horizons

Britons’ view of their country as a pillar of a European and world order, rooted in their experience of standing up to fascism and militarism in World War II, is also shifting.

“Until quite recently, we saw ourselves as part-guarantors of the European order, but we don’t sort of see ourselves in that way anymore,” said Mr. Freedman, the King’s College professor.

This has accelerated with the enmity toward immigration, which has focused politics inward and portrayed the outside world as something to guard against rather than to protect and uphold.

That has ramifications beyond Britain. Even after Brexit, the country remains important for upholding the postwar order in Europe, where it is the largest economy after Germany and the biggest military spender after Russia. If its horizons continue to narrow, that will contribute to the Continent’s continuing fracturing on economics and opposition to Russian power.

Mr. Niblett, the Chatham House chief, said he was worried Britain would become the “weak link” on European sanctions on Russia for its annexation of Crimea.

“The U.K., which traditionally sees itself as upholding the spine of Europe toward Russia, is pulling itself out of that role,” Mr. Niblett said.

Other European states are already preparing for the possibility that the Continent can no longer rely on Britain, Mr. Leonard said, on issues from Russia to the Iran nuclear deal to global free trade.

“They don’t know if Britain’s going to be there or not,” he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/...with-trump-threatens-european-order.html?_r=0

It looks like Trump is going to save the world. Literally.

Back