Workshop of the future

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was watching Ask This Old House last night. Tom Silva visited what he called the workshop of the future in San Francisco. He meets Jay who runs the shop. As the video goes on I am less certain of the gender of some of the people in it. I'm certain if I only heard their voices I would assume a different gender than seeing them. It is San Francisco so genders might be fluid. Everybody has a name that could be either gender. Jay, Sam, Claude, Gabby

It's a PBS program. The part I'm referring to starts about 12 minutes into the video. This is a link to my local PBS station. It might not work in other locations.
http://www.pbs.org/video/ask-toh-lawn-care-futuristic-workshop-2pxudy/

The program itself was about using high tech tools to build items. The example was a stool similar to a bar stool with parts cut out on a water jet and made in a CNC mill. They said it took 2 hours in the CNC mill to make the wooden seat portion which seems rather inefficient. They have some nice tools to use but I doubt any home workshops would be able to afford to have them.

In the hipster part of the city here, this college student started this tool library where you pay a membership fee and can borrow all sorts of donated tools.

On TV, in Japan, they have these places where people can go to use 3D printers or laser cutters, etc. Not really sure if there was a profit motive or how it got funding for electricity and the equipment.

This thread took a sharp turn from what I expected from the title

<{ByeHomer}>

Back