Workout Tips?

MMAFanboy99

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've trained in MMA since I was 12, but I've never really known what to do in the strength and conditioning aspect. Obviously running is a good way to do cardio and I do that, but as far as lifting I don't really know what to do. I have a planet fitness (which I know isn't really good, but better than nothing) but still don't know what to do. I have really no experience in lifting for MMA, so if someone could give me a few pointers, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

I've trained in MMA since I was 12, but I've never really known what to do in the strength and conditioning aspect. Obviously running is a good way to do cardio and I do that, but as far as lifting I don't really know what to do. I have a planet fitness (which I know isn't really good, but better than nothing) but still don't know what to do. I have really no experience in lifting for MMA, so if someone could give me a few pointers, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Running as in long distance or running as in road work?

FAQS, mofo. Faqs. I know my saying that will result in some random calling me an ass for that, but there's a treasure trove of information in there. It's also put together better than any one post could.

You are a beginner to S and C. You should be doing 2-3 days of strength and conditioning. That conditioning should be cardiac output mainly for a long time. Whether that be jogging, a bike, etc. for 30-45 minutes each session. Basic strength stuff is also as pointed above is in the faq. I really recommend starting strength but most of the regulars here will shun that advice even though the program is in the faq. Riddle me that but it works.

You are a beginner to S and C. You should be doing 2-3 days of strength and conditioning. That conditioning should be cardiac output mainly for a long time. Whether that be jogging, a bike, etc. for 30-45 minutes each session. Basic strength stuff is also as pointed above is in the faq. I really recommend starting strength but most of the regulars here will shun that advice even though the program is in the faq. Riddle me that but it works.
Thank you

No, no they wont. They'll take issue with Rippleloads god awful advice. Like the humping press, Gomad, anything he says about weightlifting, conditioning and balls. Rip should've just shut the fuck up after SS second edition

Thanks!

Here are the most sensible pieces of advice that no one on this board seems to agree with:

1. keep your lifting simple and short because it's supposed to be a supplement to your martial arts training, which should be your priority. Look to Stuart McRoberts, John Christy, Dan John, Pavel, etc. Eustress training instead of distress training. Get in and out of the gym fresh and ready to practise your fighting.

2. use your sport for conditioning.

I honestly don't know how people are doing full powerlifting / bodybuilding regimens and training MMA at the same time. I could definitely not do that.

I would say Pavel has the perfect strength program for a fighter: 3-5 lifts for 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps done 3-5 days between workouts with 3-5 minutes rest between sets. Cycle the weights for progress and keep putting up weights while keeping yourself as fresh as possible for fighting.
The lifts I would do:
partial deadlifts
squats
BO rows or pull-downs
dips, bench press or military press

Read more about it here:

https://thoseironguys.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/the-case-for-the-3-5-method/

Thanks!

I would recommend you do a couple of phases. For one, I would start with a basic strength block of 3x a week lifting using a beginner linear progression program. Stronglifts, Starting Strength, are both common ones that would fit your goal. You basically do the same workouts over and over each session and add 5 -10 pounds each session. Since you're a true beginner you can get a lot of gains really quick and when it starts getting to where you can't recover or you're missing lifts, then you can back off into a maintenance cycle of 2x a week strength training.

Cardio is usually more complicated, but it's very important. I don't find running to be the best cardio for fighting. I highly recommend that you get a nice jump rope and do that instead. It's low impact and teaches you to be light on your feet, which is very important in the sport. I started out doing a few 3 minute rounds with 1 minute of rest and gradually increased it until I was doing 12 rounds of 3 minutes with 1 minute of rest. From there, I tried to go for as many jumps in each round as I could, while trying to beat my previous day's number. I jump rope two days a week, one day is the 12 sets for 3 minutes, and the other day I do one set for as long as possible. There's a reason why all the top boxers on the planet are great at jumping rope. It's amazing for fighters. You can throw in other types of cardio too, but increasing your cardio for fighting is best done by fighting so you're better off doing more of that than any other type of cardio.

This is how I train for fighting.

Here are the most sensible pieces of advice that no one on this board seems to agree with:

1. keep your lifting simple and short because it's supposed to be a supplement to your martial arts training, which should be your priority. Look to Stuart McRoberts, John Christy, Dan John, Pavel, etc. Eustress training instead of distress training. Get in and out of the gym fresh and ready to practise your fighting.

2. use your sport for conditioning.

I honestly don't know how people are doing full powerlifting / bodybuilding regimens and training MMA at the same time. I could definitely not do that.

I would say Pavel has the perfect strength program for a fighter: 3-5 lifts for 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps done 3-5 days between workouts with 3-5 minutes rest between sets. Cycle the weights for progress and keep putting up weights while keeping yourself as fresh as possible for fighting.
The lifts I would do:
partial deadlifts
squats
BO rows or pull-downs
dips, bench press or military press

Read more about it here:

https://thoseironguys.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/the-case-for-the-3-5-method/

I don't remember anyone who's worth listening to on this forum say anything other than keep things simple. In fact S&C should stand for Simple & Consistent.

A simple 2 day a week program with squatting, pressing and pulling is a great way to get stronger.

I don't remember anyone who's worth listening to on this forum say anything other than keep things simple. In fact S&C should stand for Simple & Consistent.

A simple 2 day a week program with squatting, pressing and pulling is a great way to get stronger.

Consistency is the best way to get results. I've just been talking about this with my coach lately. We have about 20 people on the team, and most are training for college sports. You can look at the ones who made it to all the training sessions and tell a clear difference from the ones who slacked and didn't show up. You have to show up to reap the benefits of training.

Reading the FAQ, seconded. Stick to the basics. Emphasis on the "stick to." If you're a beginner, you're going to benefit from just about anything you do correctly and consistently.

Back