Working out from home, starting MMA

RubenUFC

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am starting MMA soon and at the moment I am not all that fit and I am trying to keep my diet as healthy as possible, but it's very basic.

I am wondering if doing 2 or 3 25 minute workouts (9am, 12pm and 3pm) Monday-Friday including running, push ups, shadow boxing and lifting small weights would benefit me eventually? I am only looking to get in decent shape as right now I am quite unfit.

Last edited:
To keep it simple, anything is always better than nothing providing you aren't hurting yourself (focus on form initially if you're a newbie, dial back the intensity etc, maybe keep it to 1 session a day for a week or two then increase). But overall, an actual gym membership will be more beneficial.

Additionally, you'll begin to get into shape with the mma training. From the info you've provided this is about all we can gather as small weights isn't inherently defined. If you can't make it to a gym, you can look at gymnastic/calisthenic workout progressions.

Thanks, well I just did a 25 min workout session and found it pretty tough, so perhaps you are right about dialing it down. Can i ask you, is the listed workout methods viable enough? When i say lifting weights i mean just steady 5 lifts of anything i can get my hands on really. Anything weighty

What do you have? I have a PDF list of a ton of workout stuff you can DL and see if it suits your current needs/status.
As for the gymnastics/calisthenics stuff, its viable if you have a floor, a wall, and preferably a straight bar and dip bars (can be made easily from piping).

What do you have? I have a PDF list of a ton of workout stuff you can DL and see if it suits your current needs/status.
As for the gymnastics/calisthenics stuff, its viable if you have a floor, a wall, and preferably a straight bar and dip bars (can be made easily from piping).
hmm, i don't know as of right now, but does it matter as long as it is fairly heavy?

hmm, i don't know as of right now, but does it matter as long as it is fairly heavy?
Well, yes. If you aren't ready to handle it, you may do more harm than good by simply lifting heavy off the get go.

Also, do you have DB's,? BB's? A squat rack? KB's?

Well, yes. If you aren't ready to handle it, you may do more harm than good by simply lifting heavy off the get go.

Also, do you have DB's,? BB's? A squat rack? KB's?
what are those? Sorry, I am literally completely new to working out, lol. By the way, since the workout with pushups/shadow boxing etc was quite hard for me to do for 25 minutes, do you think it would be a good idea to instead do 1 25min workout session with those methods at first, everyday, and the other 2 times of the day to just go on a light jog? Would the jog benefit me?

No prolem my friend.
BB = barbell
DB = dumbbell
KB = kettlebell
Squat rack
6a00d8341c50d953ef01a73df2f653970d-pi

You could probably split up the work to rest ratios. Work for 2 minutes, rest 1 or 2 minutes, repeat. IE: shadow box 2 minutes, rest 2 minutes, push ups x failure, rest 1 minute, repeat. But, keep in mind, the body is a unit, squats, lunges, planks etc can and should be used also.
Jogging which is essentially LISS (low intensity steady state) is fine. Just aim to improve 5% a week in terms of increments. 10% if you're already decently along, but that can come later.

You can do one circuit in the AM lets say then a jog at night or after work etc, this level of activity shouldn't hinder you, but you might not want to do it daily per se.

No prolem my friend.
BB = barbell
DB = dumbbell
KB = kettlebell
Squat rack
6a00d8341c50d953ef01a73df2f653970d-pi

You could probably split up the work to rest ratios. Work for 2 minutes, rest 1 or 2 minutes, repeat. IE: shadow box 2 minutes, rest 2 minutes, push ups x failure, rest 1 minute, repeat. But, keep in mind, the body is a unit, squats, lunges, planks etc can and should be used also.
Jogging which is essentially LISS (low intensity steady state) is fine. Just aim to improve 5% a week in terms of increments. 10% if you're already decently along, but that can come later.

You can do one circuit in the AM lets say then a jog at night or after work etc, this level of activity shouldn't hinder you, but you might not want to do it daily per se.
Oh, I don't have any of those what you listed unfortunately. Thank you for your advice, I will probably do 1 25 minute a day until i start to feel more comfortable, and try to couple jogs in with that

I am starting MMA soon and at the moment I am not all that fit and I am trying to keep my diet as healthy as possible, but it's very basic.

I am wondering if doing 2 or 3 25 minute workouts (9am, 12pm and 3pm) Monday-Friday including running, push ups, shadow boxing and lifting small weights would benefit me eventually? I am only looking to get in decent shape as right now I am quite unfit.

Know what will work best for getting you in shape to do MMA?

Doing MMA.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with running and doing pushups, but I know a LOT of people who talk about "getting in shape" so they can train, when they should be training to get in shape...

Know what will work best for getting you in shape to do MMA?

Doing MMA.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with running and doing pushups, but I know a LOT of people who talk about "getting in shape" so they can train, when they should be training to get in shape...
thanks so much, this is very true. Sometimes, keeping it simple is what i need to do. I will for sure take this on board!

Yeah if you haven't been working out at all anything will help and you can get a pretty good work out doing just body weight exercises.

http://www.mensfitness.com/topics/body-weight-workouts

I'd recommend getting a jump rope. You can get a killer cardio workout at home and they only cost like $10

Get a pull up bar for sure. You can get one that fits in the door on Amazon pretty cheap

Lol another couch potato decided he gonna be ufc fighter before he steps in a gym

Back