working out before drinking alcohol

Shamrock7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I searched this subject and couldn't find what I was wanting to know. If I were going to drink alcohol tonight, would it be best not to workout beforehand? Would the drinking hinder my muscle growth?

working out=sweating loss of water in the body
Drinking= dehydration
drinking+working out= u can do this part i am sure if not i'll help

pound a bunch of water during and immediately after, youll be fine.

So drinking does not mess up the recovery process and hinder muscle regeneration?

Drinking = Dehydration = Loss of water from muscles

so make sure u stay hydrated = drink a lot of water = H2O

mmmkay?
mackey.jpg

I've read that alcohol suppresses testosterone, does some other nasty stuff too. So what? Do what you want to do, it's not the end of the world if your recovery isn't optimal, and it's not the end of the world if you miss a night of drinking... it's a judgement call.

alcohol will dehydrate you....alcohol supresses testosterone and slows down muscle repair......judgement call indeed here...NOT....

jayb said:
it's not the end of the world if you miss a night of drinking... it's a judgement call.
unless he misses out on getting laid by a hot babe like this
vipa14.jpg

DEVILsSON said:
alcohol will dehydrate you....alcohol supresses testosterone and slows down muscle repair......judgement call indeed here...NOT....

Meh, I'm sure plenty of people on this board have gone out drinking the night after a workout. It's not healthy, and will only hurt your recovery and workout... but again, so what? There are worse things. Just don't do it every week, or every month even.
If the effects of drinking alcohol on muscle repair were permanent, I'd have the physique of Nicole Richie.

Actually, come to think of it, if you even ask that question you probably shouldn't drink after your workout. Isn't the answer obvious?

When you're training really hard, alcohol can sometimes help realax your muscles and numb the pain :D

Shamrock7 said:
So drinking does not mess up the recovery process and hinder muscle regeneration?
Jesus fucking christ, how thick can you get? Booze is bad for you. I drink, but don't have any fucking doubts about it hindering you. And lets consider the alternative: don't workout and drink. in this Bizarro scenario you do NOTHING productive or healthy for your body and skip straight to the counterproductive part.

A little common sense will go further than all the science this thread can offer.

Let´s suppose that it takes 10 beers for you to get drunk ..... i´ll bet whatever you want that if you workout and then drink 5/6 beers you´ll be completly drunk and euphoric ... it will be a great party ;)

I was reading Men's Health or some bullshit today and some R.D. was saying that alcohol shouldn't be consumed within 24 hours of a workout because it hinders the protein synthesis. I dunno. Drink if you want just don't think it is good for you.

I depends on a number of factors. How much time passed between working out and drinking? How much are you going to drink?

For example, if you got done working out at 6PM and did a really good post workout recovery drink, but didn't have a drink until 9 or 10 and only had one or two drinks, then it shouldn't really be a big deal.

However, if you got done at 6PM and then just started slamming shots until 2AM, then yes that would have been a waste of a workout.

Be smart don't drink after a work out wait to an off day if you need to party

Urban said:
Jesus fucking christ, how thick can you get? Booze is bad for you. I drink, but don't have any fucking doubts about it hindering you. And lets consider the alternative: don't workout and drink. in this Bizarro scenario you do NOTHING productive or healthy for your body and skip straight to the counterproductive part.

A little common sense will go further than all the science this thread can offer.

Re-read.

How are people saying it's a wasted workout if you go drink after working out? How is any workout a wasted one?

I workout Friday and Saturday and I go drinking too. Guess I should cut those workouts out since they are wasted if I'm drinking that night.

It seems to me that a lot of top level guys who lift seldom drink, some don't at all so take that for what it's worth. For a regular guy, as long as you don't drink before working out everything should be fine.

As a general rule of thumb, I like to wait 2 hours after working out before drinking. Since your body needs nutrients during this time period to recover from the workout, alcohol obviously isn't a good idea.

Back