Working on back flips at the gym

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Using the correct posture, "spinal extension" - I am much closer to achieving these than previously.

So, initially i started off on rings, jumping and tucking.
Assisted.

Then moved to TRX ropes, trying progressively lighten the weight I'm putting on the ropes, and releasing earlier.

FeelsGoodMan.

Can anyone do a back flip/back tuck?

Did you learn yourself or wut?

Probably go to a gymnastics studio before i try fully on my own though.

I taught myself as a kid, 8 or 9 years old. Started jumping on my mom and dad's bed getting over the fear of going upside down. Then when winter rolled around I started flipping off my porch into a big pile of snow. Then I got brave enough to do back tucks and back hand springs on flat ground. Even taught myself how to do some tumbling runs. I'm 32 knocking on 33. I still do a few back tucks every year just to see if I still got it.

I would say learning on a big trampoline is probably the easiest way and relatively safe.

gymnastics as a kid, trampoline later

strangely i cannot bend into the bridge position that most people use to learn, i have t just do it

i finally got over fear at 13 and learnt to back flip i could front flip since i was 5 but was always to chicken to go backwards fully its not hard at all to do a back flip its about nerve more than anything look at big fat vader in wwf wcw dude was 400 pounds and did back flips off the top rope its about nerve

i finally got over fear at 13 and learnt to back flip i could front flip since i was 5 but was always to chicken to go backwards fully its not hard at all to do a back flip its about nerve more than anything look at big fat vader in wwf wcw dude was 400 pounds and did back flips off the top rope its about nerve

Dude learned to do that as an adult; that's pretty crazy. It's a gross simplification to just dismiss him as just a fat guy though. I'm fairly heavy but no where near that size and yet I'm no where near as in control of my body as he was.

Dude learned to do that as an adult; that's pretty crazy. It's a gross simplification to just dismiss him as just a fat guy though. I'm fairly heavy but no where near that size and yet I'm no where near as in control of my body as he was.

alot of it has to do with confidence though as is aid same with suplexes to hit a back arch on guys thats why you dont see them as much in fights tbh it doesnt take much to do a back flip other than just jumping back and turning body but the fear of hurting yourself stops people its like the game trust where you fall straight back and someone catches you alot of people just cant do it

If i just tried to do a standing backflip, id probably land on my knees these days.

I learned how to do flips as a kid though. It never really leaves you. I can backflip off cliffs into water and shit still im just not strong enough in my legs to do one without a boost like a trampoline these days

As you say I believe people who can do them know them as “back tucks”.

I can’t do them, my childhood gymnastics ability only progressed as far as cartwheels/forward and backwards rolls.

they are not necessary. many elite athlete weren't bothered learning them.
plus it's dangerous for obvious reasons, esp if you didn't learn to do them at a young age.

they are not necessary. many elite athlete weren't bothered learning them.
plus it's dangerous for obvious reasons, esp if you didn't learn to do them at a young age.

You heard it here first folks, curl up and die. There's no reason to strive for anything or set goals because it's possible you might make a mistake along the way.

You heard it here first folks, curl up and die. There's no reason to strive for anything or set goals because it's possible you might make a mistake along the way.

You can paralyze yourself for life by doing a pointless backflip. Hell, that bodybuilder guy died last year from a botched backflip. I really don't think being conservative on doing backflips is the same as setting life goals.

Back flips aren't necessary? That doesn't sound right.

backflips fails are no fun. i mean if you failed your biceps curls you will not die. it's always cringy seeing older people trying to do the stunt , and they are "not sure" they will to do it or not..

if this means anything at all, i do them for reps "with straight legs included" until i get tired. i never fail even if i stopped doing them for years, simply because in my head there's no single chance i will fail, but i hate seeing others "trying", esp since a lot of fools think they are good enough.
(just type in youtube: "backflip fail")

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back