Working 2 Jobs

I do. I work a normal 8-5 during the week and then usually one (sometimes 2) days over the weekend. The extra money is nice but sometimes a nice weekend is good too. On the weekend job it's usually 10-6 so have enough time to get out to enjoy the night. The weekend job is also flexible. It's sales so no heavy lifting.

I did at one point, but the schedule I had was brutal (6am up until Midnight) so I couldn't keep up with it. First job was security with a 6am - 2pm shift, and then a job at a call center with Direct TV with a shift from 4pm - 12am.

I was getting around 4 hours of sleep at the time.

Yep, during undergrad worked as a doorman and at a golf course grounds crews. It was brutal during the school year less so during the summer. Eventually got a PEY placement in 3rd year, made enough to pay for 4 years of university and then quit bouncing

Now I just work on having a single occupation while trying to generate multiple side revenue streams

Before I went back to school as a mature student I did. That was what made me go back to school: not making enough money, enjoyment in what i did or the sustainability of what I was doing.

What is the second job? Have you thought of starting a business on the side rather than working for someone else instead?

Yup. Right here.
I'm a sanitation worker for a plant. I get paid well, pretty good hours. Weekends off. However, on the weekends I am a security guard. I work for mostly buildings, apartment complexes, and the like.

It just depends on how busy you want to be, really. If it's just for money, you'll burn out pretty quickly.

My stepdad works two jobs (one IT job for about 90k, and a side gig that only pays like 12 bucks an hour) because he gets bored if he isn't doing something. He doesn't need the extra couple hundred bucks a week, but if he wasn't doing that, he'd go crazy.

Do you plan to stay in IT? if so are you studying for certs? trust me put the extra time in certs and you can make some good $$$ also think about working overseas it's easy money
Yeah IT is my bread and butter. I have my A+ and HDI Desktop Support Analyst creds, I know the big $ is in networking which is what I'm studying for now (Cisco track). Overseas never occurred to me, but my wife and I are settled so that might be a non-starter unfortunately...

Lol @ working 2 jobs counting IT and desk jockey as a fckin job. Yalls hands must be smooth like a baby’s ass.

Yall would crumble at actual physical labor. I dug ditches and worked the weight room at the rec center. Sh*t was dope.

Never.

Worked full time 40 hrs and studied pt most of my adult life however.

Work pays the bills, study gets the future income potential.

Oh actually for a short time I did a casual job maybe 2 shifts a month. $30an hour and spent 75% of the time reading. Would have been a fool to give that up.

I have a job on the side. I sell shrubs and small trees online that I grow at home.

As a general rule you should never pick a living that will make you miserable today because "oh in the future I will enjoy the money"... you could die tomorrow and your last days of living were miserable, how about that? not only that it creates a pattern in your head that you will always repeat for the rest of your life and you will never be able to enjoy the NOW

Im not saying not to work, sure, work hard, but enjoy your present too....be balanced!

Just curious, any Sherdogger does or did this?

I work a 9-5 in IT, but have been thinking I can pad my finances even more if I took a part-time job. I basically will have to give up training, and competing for the year would be a pipe dream if it comes to this, but having more money's always nice so it could be worth it.

So what I'm wondering is for those that did it, was it sustainable?

inb4 you sound poor

What else can you do besides 9-5? 9-5 is big chunk of day. You cant be a night auditor at hotel, or any graveyard shifts because you work again at 9am.

So what options do you 9-5 people have? Usually dual jobbers are part time at two places.

I'm doing this and one of my jobs is also in IT. I'm trying to transition from IT to another industry. My IT career pays well enough that I couldn't just give up that salary and benefits and move over to a lower paying job in a new field. I've been doing this for almost 8 years now. 2018 is when I can finally fully transition to one job, in the new industry, without missing any pay. I'm actually working on a business plan to open my own business. I've posted about that here before.

What is your second job?

When I was fresh out of college I worked 5-10:30p at a newsstand a couple nights a week, then went to my full time job working overnight in an emergency room. It was exhausting, and more difficult when you factor in a pretty destructive drug addiction I was working through. Eventually the er job gave me a raise that allowed me to quit the newsstand and I never looked back.

Now, I'm on call 24/7 for my job, and have been for many years. Also I'm paid enough that the extra income isn't worth the extra stress.

What were or are your sleeping hours or downtime/relaxing hours?

Yeah IT is my bread and butter. I have my A+ and HDI Desktop Support Analyst creds, I know the big $ is in networking which is what I'm studying for now (Cisco track). Overseas never occurred to me, but my wife and I are settled so that might be a non-starter unfortunately...

Cyber security or risk management is the way to go man but for sure get your cisco certs and learn networking. Then try to make your way into risk management or cyber security. She might let you go overseas depending where you go you can make 200k+ and the first 100k is fed tax free.

Granted you will have to work more, right now I work 70+ hours a week every week.

What is your second job?

What were or are your sleeping hours or downtime/relaxing hours?

I would typically get home a little after 8, relax for a couple hours and be asleep by 12. It was really only one day when I had to operate one minimal sleep, since my work week started with a 5 o'clock shift on Monday. On thursdays when I worked both jobs I'd just do my best to get to sleep as quickly as possible in the morning. When you're working more hours, you just give up on personaltime and sleep. You've gotta learn to create things at your jobs that closely resemble the stuff you'd do for fun if you weren't working.

Back