Worker skips office Mega pool, loses share of $319M

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone remember this story from 2011? talk about a bitter pill to swallow.

Worker skips office Mega pool, loses share of $319M

He didn’t think Lady Luck was on his side — and now he’s out millions.

A hapless state information-technology worker who usually joined his office lottery pool took a pass last week — only to learn that seven positive-thinking pals nailed a whopping $319 million Mega Millions jackpot, said a deli owner who knows the winners.

“The word is that when they were going around the office asking who wanted in on the pool, one guy said no, that he wasn’t feeling lucky,” said Jill Cook, who with husband Tom owns Cook’s Deli in Albany, where the winners are lunchtime regulars.

“They asked him twice. They said, ‘Are you sure?’ and he said yeah, he was going to pass this time. I feel horrible for him,” Jill said.

The number of players in the pool varied from week to week, she said, and the identity of the mystery loser — who could have won a $16 million after-tax share under the lottery’s lump-sum option — was as elusive as those of the big winners, who sources say worked in IT for the state Homes and Community Renewal agency.

Cook said the geek squad came in for lunch daily — but haven’t been seen since beating the one-in-176-million odds in Friday’s drawing. Customers who know the winners told her they weren’t planning to return to their jobs — except to pass along unfinished business to colleagues.

Jim Plastiras, an agency spokesman, confirmed the workers did not come to work Monday but he couldn’t say if they showed up yesterday. They had not formally resigned their positions, he added.

The winning workers remained out of the public eye yesterday, but one surfaced long enough to stake a claim to the prize, state lottery officials said yesterday.

“The ticket has been claimed, and once we verify it we’ll choose a date, place and time for a check presentation,” lottery spokeswoman Carolyn Hapeman said. The claimant, whom she would not identify by name or gender, arranged to come to lottery headquarters Monday night after hours, Hapeman said.

Lottery officials said that once they verify the ticket and how many pool members are claiming a slice of the pie, a news conference will be scheduled, probably this week.

Most likely, Hapeman said, the winners are spending time huddling with legal and financial wizards to plan how to handle the bundles of cash headed their way.

“Ninety-nine percent of the people coming in winners do it that way these days, and $319 million is an unimaginable amount of money,” Hapeman said.

“Most want a plan before the money enters their hands.”

Meanwhile, at Coulson’s News Center, where the winning ticket was sold, owner Steve Hutchins got a standard $10,000 bonus for selling the winning number combination: 22, 24, 31, 52 and 54, with 4 as the Mega Ball. “It’s pretty amazing,” he said.

This Co Worker sued his other coworkers when they won the 99 million lotto
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/ohio-man-sues-workers-win-lottery/story?id=14453878

Man Sues Co-Workers Over Lotto Win

What are the chances that a back injury will cost you millions? For Edward Hairston, the odds are about 1 in 175 million.

The logistics agent at an Ohio, cabinet business is suing his 22 co-workers to receive what he claims is his share of a $99 million lottery prize.

Hairston, declined ABCNews.com's request for an interview, claimed in a lawsuit that he participated in the office lottery pool for eight years with his colleagues, before a back injury put him out of work in June, July and August. The group matched all six winning numbers on Aug. 5.

His attorney, Howard Mishkind, told ABCNews.com there was an implied agreement that co-workers would cover for each other when they were out due to illness or vacation.

"All because of $15, it's now costing him $2 million," Mishkind said.

He added that Hairston even contributed for a co-worker who was out on a leave of absence.

But Kerin Lyn Kaminski, the lawyer representing the 22 winners, told ABCNews.com that wasn't the case.

"The plaintiff didn't play for three months and despite being invited to do so through email he chose not to put money in, therefore he can't be a winner," she said.

Mishkind disputed the claim saying the email was sent to a company address which Hairston could not access from home.

A judge in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court ordered the Ohio Lottery Commission to set aside a portion of the jackpot in the event Hairston won his case. Kaminski said all parties agreed to the move in exchange for a swift resolution of the lawsuit, which will go to trial in December.

This isn't the first time office lottery pools have been contested by absentee co-workers.

In 2005, the so-called "Lucky Seven" group of lab technicians, who had won California's second-largest jackpot ever, were smacked with lawsuits from four co-workers claiming they were entitled to a share of the $315 million Mega Millions jackpot.

A judge ultimately dismissed all four lawsuits.

In 2008, four Piqua, Ohio city workers sued their colleagues, who won $207 million in the Mega Millions lottery, claiming -- like the others, that they weren't at work to contribute to the pool but felt comfortable their co-workers would cover for them. A judge dismissed the suit in September 2009.

In Florida, Jeanette French said not only did her Golf Shop co-workers cover for her while she was away, but she even paid back the $1 they chipped in for her the next day when she returned to the store.

French's seven co-workers won $16 million in the Florida State Lottery last December-- but when it came time to claim the prize, French was left out.

"She had communication with one of the other employees who said he would put in a dollar for her," French's lawyer, Tom Culmo told ABCNews.com. "Employees would routinely cover for each other. She paid back the dollar Thursday morning, and she was given the ticket to check to see if they had won."

French's case is still in litigation.

With history on their side, the 22 newly-minted millionaires are preparing to go to trial in December. Kaminski, the winners' lawyer, said she thinks they have a solid case, saying the lottery commission sums it up best: "You can't win if you don't play."

If i were one of the winners id give him like 10 gs to lessen the pain.

Lotteries are just an Ignorance Tax.

Didn't they see that Nicolas Cage movie?

I'm kind of surprised Lotto corporations haven't outlawed pools, due to all the bullshit.

That sucks big time. Hopefully they give him a few bucks so he doesn't go crazy or just sue for the sake of suing.

If he had played and circumstances were different, chances are they wouldn't have won.

Butterfly effect and all that.

I'm kind of surprised Lotto corporations haven't outlawed pools, due to all the bullshit.

Jesus, I'm not.

Have you seen the guys running these pools? They're like sharks sucking people in the office up like chum. They're responsible for huge sales.

Jesus, I'm not.

Have you seen the guys running these pools? They're like sharks sucking people in the office up like chum. They're responsible for huge sales.
Who wants to be the only sucker at a site who didn't play and sees all their co-workers retiring into the high life?

Lotteries are just an Ignorance Tax.
Somebody has to win though. I'm a regular player. I'll admit it. I don't play a lot of money. The money I waste on the dream I'd just waste somewhere else. The money I spent on lotto's over my life it saved in a jar probably would be five figures I guess - but a couple of bucks a week for the dream, the hope - it's money well spent IMO.

If he had played and circumstances were different, chances are they wouldn't have won.

Butterfly effect and all that.
Yup.

Just adding his money to the pool and ordering a $75 ticket instead of a $60 one could change the randomness of the ticket numbers and cost them all the win.

It was his decision not to play that actually got them the win.

And for those who sue after the fact trying to get in on winnings I want to know if they also chipped in prior when they missed draws and the numbers lost? Do they say 'oh guys I missed last week and here is my share of the losers cash" because that is the only way I would then say they deserve a winners share when they miss.

Who wants to be the only sucker at a site who didn't play and sees all their co-workers retiring into the high life?

My boss plays for exactly that reason.

I told him I'd bet him a thousand dollars and give him ten to one odds they would never win a million or more dollars with five years.

He wouldn't take the bet.

I asked him why he'd refuse ten to one odds but keep paying into a bet where the odds were millions to one.

Back