Woodley vs Maia breaks record with 'fewest strikes attempted' in UFC history !

Defanged

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My apologies if this was already posted, mods can delete if it was;

In a fight which set a UFC record for the fewest total strikes attempted and attracted a lustful chorus of boos throughout, Woodley (18-3-1) made the third defense of his 170-pound championship in the co-main event of UFC 214 in Anaheim, California.

https://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/...bests-demian-maia-in-forgettable-title-fight/

Now, mind you, this was over 5 rounds, not the typical 3. While I always feel it's the challenger whose job it is to win the best from the champ, I can see the point that Woodley is not doing anything to put butts in seats. He has to stop being a completely defensive player once he knows he's up on the cards. It's a horrible record to hold.

Anderson also was also getting the boo treatment when he went again Maia, Woodley will be good

And Woodley kept going on before the fight how he was going to "steal the show."

giphy.gif

The fight was a downer after all the great fights. Just a match style match-up. Would like to see Woodley against someone that will make him fight.

how many strikes were attempted in that Todd Duffee fight where he broke a record?

Just looked at Woodley's fight metric page, the two wonder boy fights(61/54) and the Maia(57) fight were the most strikes he ever landed.

(edit: Shields fight too was also in this range with 60 strikes.)

Before that Woodley landed more than 40 only 4 times, and lost two of them.

My apologies if this was already posted, mods can delete if it was;

In a fight which set a UFC record for the fewest total strikes attempted and attracted a lustful chorus of boos throughout, Woodley (18-3-1) made the third defense of his 170-pound championship in the co-main event of UFC 214 in Anaheim, California.

https://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/...bests-demian-maia-in-forgettable-title-fight/

Now, mind you, this was over 5 rounds, not the typical 3. While I always feel it's the challenger whose job it is to win the best from the champ, I can see the point that Woodley is not doing anything to put butts in seats. He has to stop being a completely defensive player once he knows he's up on the cards. It's a horrible record to hold.

Yeah, especially against Maia, who is not known for his striking defense.

After Lawler's reign where every fight was a war, WW title fights have gone from must see TV to not worth DVRing on Fox.

Maia fights are not for uneducated fans.

Yes. It takes a fine MMA connoisseur to understand spamming repeated, insufficiently set up, stuffed takedowns.

Unless Maia gets a fight to the ground there is nothing significant to understand about his game.

Back