Woodley vs Gastelum - split decision

quantiqus

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was watching their fight.
In the first round, Woodley was cornered by Gastelum and refused to engage in the fight. The people were booing him (nothing new here)
In the second round, Woodley had a couple of powerful shots, but no knockdown, Kelvin has a good chin. Also, Kelvin cornered him and was eye poked by Woodley.
In the third round, Woodley was tired, Kelvin continued to corner him, Woodley tried some explosive shots and, at the end, he was so tired and he decided to clich with Kelvin, while the people were booing him again.
And again, after the bell, people were boing.

I am not saying Kelvin won, but how did the judged give a split a decision I have no idea.

When the fight is balanced, there should be a draw.

Also, there should be scoring/more scoring based on engaging/aggresion/cornering the other fighter.

Woodley is so lame
giphy.gif

Woodley gets alot of Decisions that he shouldnt.

I forgot who said it but one commission said judges should never score a 10-10 because there is no such thing as an even round and that there should be something that gives one fighter the edge.

Personally I think that’s garbage. The new rules are supposed to address close rounds by going to aggression, control, etc but it’s way too complicated. When you have commentators saying they don’t know who won a round or when you have split decisions, that means your scoring sucks.

There are absolutely even rounds and I’d much rather have a fight end in a draw instead of flipping a coin and having a split decision.

Kelvin was at deaths door going into that fight, and he still won imo. But if he can't make the weight then it's all irrelevant,

so you're saying Woodley was in a boring fight?

images

Lol he got a title shot off that "win" as well after sitting out for a year. Guess it was good for his brand after all.

In the first round, Woodley was cornered by Gastelum and refused to engage in the fight. The people were booing him (nothing new here)
In the second round, Woodley had a couple of powerful shots, but no knockdown, Kelvin has a good chin. Also, Kelvin cornered him and was eye poked by Woodley.
In the third round, Woodley was tired, Kelvin continued to corner him, Woodley tried some explosive shots and, at the end, he was so tired and he decided to clich with Kelvin, while the people were booing him again.

I am not saying Kelvin won, but how did the judged give a split a decision I have no idea.

Also, there should be scoring/more scoring based on engaging/aggresion/cornering the other fighter.

Woodley is a very conservative fighter for the very simple reason. He has to be conservative. He has a very limited amount of endurance and needs to pace himself...he literally does this every single fight..

that fight was one of the worst fights I've seen

so I wasn't surprised when WB fights were snore fests

Woodley has no stamina for grappling or active footwork, so he had mastered fighting while backed up.

He had been surprisingly successful doing it now.

Backing up just enough to deny angles, takedowns, but not enough to get trapped and swarmed.

I just hope that his successors in this strategy will be able to make it a bit more.... Spectacular.

Draws are indicative of lazy scoring. Someone has to get the 9. I've been watching MMA since '06 and only seen a handful of draw worthy fights and they always included a 10-8 rounds in them not 10-10.

I didn't watch that fight, but reading the paragraph you wrote, it seems to me like Woodley won the fight. You say it yourself, Woodley landed "powerful shots."

All you can say about Kelvin is that he is good at "cornering." LOL

It seems like one guy landed powerful shots, and one guy just walked forward not doing anything. Walking forward is irrelevant. In my opinion.

Well no way was Gastelum getting the nod after the failed attempt at makin weight again..

Woodley got a TS off that fight right? Sorry but Woodley is not that good.. hardly ever dominant and barely scrapes wins..

In b4 his ko of Lawler who just went through like five fights in 5 round wars

this is clear, you have no idea.

which is why you think this.

you need to educate yourself about how mma judging works, my friend. it's not that complicated, but it will clear up all your confusion.

Bro...Woodley is only about those legacy fights...He is in it to be a legend.

That ''fight'' was awful. I can't believe you had the mental strength to watch the entire 3 rounds again. I don't even know how you can call it a "fight", it was just 2 guys staring and punching the air for the most part, barely anything landed from either.

this is clear, you have no idea.

which is why you think this.

you need to educate yourself about how mma judging works, my friend. it's not that complicated, but it will clear up all your confusion.

Please, explain it to us how it works, if it's not that complicated and if you have the time.
I guess you have some time, since you color to color words.

It's whatever for me. Kelvin also put so little effort into the preparation that he missed weight, and Woodley gave the guy back the portion of his purse he had taken. So if anything, I'm glad Woodley got the win bonus.

Back