Woodley is 36. Thompson is 35. Which one shows up old first?

Sometimes I think guys age suddenly because it takes a couple fights before opponents realize that their power or reflexes aren't there and then to start exploiting it. I've always suspected that Anderson was probably done when he had the first Chael fight and survived off of intimidation until the Weidman loss removed that respect. Likewise for Fedor, who was probably old finished Fedor when he beat Brett Rogers but didn't lose respect until Werdum.

IDK but give that young kid Erik Silva a few more years and he'll whoop them both.

Sorry Woodley:

QadM.gif

Woodley to me is a good wrestler with flakey but potentially dangerous striking. Like Rashad he can potentially be backed up and outlanded but equally like Rashad he does have finishing ability that the likes of Usman and Colby have thus far not shown. If this wasn't the case he wouldn't have beaten Lawler or Thompson.

Rashad does I spose potentially suggest that Woodley isn't going to age like wine.

I think Woodley is a journeyman type fighter who got lucky over another journeyman type fighter in Lawlor.

Didn't think his run will last long at all. I don't see him beating Colby, Usman or Till.

When he does, it won't be because he got old over night. He just isn't very good, and definitely the best WW in the world isn't him.

Rory made him look like a child not that long ago in his 'prime' pfft

Woodley is so under rated - Rory is his kryptonite (strong wrestler with better striking).

In virtually all other matches, Woodley is superior (Colby and Usman might be great wrestlers, but they have anemic striking), or he is going up against strong strikers with poor/average wresting defence.

The only fighters that could beat Woodley at WW are either reitred (GSP), way past prime (Hendricks) or in another organization (Macdonald). I think Wonderboy is always going to be a tough out for Woodley as well.

If you can name other fighters at WW that can out grapple or outstrike Woodley, I'm all ears.

Woodley to me is a good wrestler with flakey but potentially dangerous striking. Like Rashad he can potentially be backed up and outlanded but equally like Rashad he does have finishing ability that the likes of Usman and Colby have thus far not shown. If this wasn't the case he wouldn't have beaten Lawler or Thompson.

Rashad does I spose potentially suggest that Woodley isn't going to age like wine.

The biggest difference between the two IMO is that Rashad was always a smallish LHW who I always felt may have been better suited at LW where Woodley is a big WW.

Woodley is so under rated - Rory is his kryptonite (strong wrestler with better striking).

In virtually all other matches, Woodley is superior (Colby and Usman might be great wrestlers, but they have anemic striking), or he is going up against strong strikers with poor/average wresting defence.

The only fighters that could beat Woodley at WW are either reitred (GSP), way past prime (Hendricks) or in another organization (Macdonald). I think Wonderboy is always going to be a tough out for Woodley as well.

If you can name other fighters at WW that can out grapple or outstrike Woodley, I'm all ears.

I think you are wrong.
Cobly, Usman, Till will all beat Woodley soon.

Woodley is like Lawlor. Journeyman type fighter who was in the right place and right time.

Didn't think it won't last long and it didn't, and Woodleys' will either.

If they stay mainly damage free it will probably be the guy who takes care of his body all year and not just fight camps. If they both can do that they could fight into their 40's.

As for TS's question.

One is white. The other is black. Do the math.

Damn Thompson does not look 35. Respect.

GSP is 36. Why can’t he fight either of those guys?
Why would he want to when he can make more money in other fights? Not like he has anything to prove at WW.

Back